VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    so I'm trying to capture some video with the Hauppauge USB live 2 capture device but when I capture the video the video and audio get out of sync. I don't get any dropped frames reported by virtualdub but the image often stops a bit and then continues as if it where dropping frames. If i choose the option in virtual dub to sync the audio it tries to sync it but it still is out of sync most of the time. In addition to that to sync the audio virtualdub changes the sample rate of the audio. It samples it in the way that the voices can get really high our really low.

If I record with WinTv it's all fine but then it compresses the video too much.

I really appreciate your help.

These are the settings I use:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	virtualdub_timing_settings.png
Views:	4821
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	11767  

Last edited by rudolf016; 3rd Apr 2012 at 14:15. Reason: Correcting spelling
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're lucky that recording with VirtualDub works at all. The vast majority of Hauppauge cards can't use it at all.

I have no solution for you. Typically Hauppauge cards only work with the recording software that comes with them and 3rd party recording applications like VirtualDub almost never work. A few cards and capture devices do work with 3rd party programs under Linux and OSX, but that's not good for you. Let's be realistic here. The USB Live 2 is cheap. Your expectations do not seem to be realistic in that you have bought what may be Hauppauge's cheapest capture solution and you're expecting to have the kind of flexibility that cards/devices have that cost two to three times the price of your card. Don't buy a bicycle and then complain that you can't go 80 km per hour in it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. First, disable audio playback while recording. Try the "do not resync between audio and video streams" option. Are you seeing any dropped or inserted frames while recording? Are you recording to a secondary drive? Ie, not the boot drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I also capture with Magix Movie Edit as well. WinTV7 does SUCK big time. The older versions were much better.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I found one of the problems that was causing the out of sync and the extreme re-sampling. By default it was capturing 29.97 fps and I'm capturing PAL video. I changed the capturing to 25fps.
    But it sometimes still went out of sync but then I used the settings that hech54 recommended and it became better (I only tested with a 2 min capture).

Maybe it was just an accident but when I activated the "use audio time stamps when available" the sync, of at least a tiny part of the video were I noticed it, became more precise.

@hech54 do you know how to use the BT8x8 Tweaker with the device in VirtualDub?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I really haven't use VDub with my Hauppauge very often....just a few times to test it. Capturing to MPEG2 works fine for me....it's only VHS after all.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rudolf016 View Post
    do you know how to use the BT8x8 Tweaker with the device in VirtualDub?
    The BT8x8 Tweaker plugin for virtualdub is only useful with capture devices based on BT8x8 chips. The BT8x8 Tweaker will not help you unless the Hauppauge USB Live 2 device includes a BT8x8 chip. The BT8x8 chip designs are old ones, and most current capture devices do not use them. Unless you have verified that the Hauppauge USB Live 2 uses a BT8x8 chip, do not bother trying to use the BT8x8 Tweaker.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Apr 2012 at 13:04.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You can often access "hidden" capture card features using GraphStudio or GraphEdit. Just add the capture filter to the graph window, right click on it, and select properties. You can access the proc amp controls and other features from that dialog.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

@hech54 do you know how to use the BT8x8 Tweaker with the device in VirtualDub?
    This option is only BT8x8 "chipset devices" only. Not work with Hauppauge USB live 2.

Get AMARECTV, its work very nice on all USB capture devices.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    -i did a 45 min capture and the the A/V went out of sync noticeably after 6 minutes with the settings from hech54.

-while I'm recording the capturing speed of the video varies from 24.something to close to 25. And the audio isn't always recording at 48khz.
    How can it record at 24.98 fps and than change to 24.97,24.99 ect. I mean the captured AVI file is at 25fps and the VCR gives out 25fps. so I don't get what capturing at 24.something does or means.

If you don't get what I mean just ask.

-Do you agree that for a capture with perfect sync I just need video captured at 25fps and audio at 48khz? So what the heck VDub!?

-I couldn't figure out how GraphEdit works or what it really does. I wanted do get access to the HSYNC with the BT8x8 Tweaker.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    -I couldn't figure out how GraphEdit works or what it really does.
    Both GraphEdit and Graph Studio are programs that allow building capture graphs from components provided with a capture device's drivers, and by the operating system, various other software, plus some encoders. Virtualdub and AmaRecTV do the same thing internally.

Here is a general description of how you might proceed using GraphStudio:

The graph is built from left to right by adding filters and dragging an dropping with a mouse to connect "pins" (little nubs on the filter) to build the graph. Once the graph is finished, and the options provided for the filters in the chain are set up, a user can click on the green arrow icon in the tool bar to start the capture. Clicking on the red square icon on the toolbar stops the capture.

One adds filters by clicking clicking "Graph" on the Menu Bar, then clicking "Insert Filters". This brings up the Filters window, and filters can be selected using the left-most dropdown list in the "Filters" window.

The first filter in the graph is typically the crossbar filter for the capture device, found under "WDM Streaming Crossbar Device". The second filter, also for the capture device, is typically found under "WDM Streaming Capture Devices." I do not have a USB-Live 2, so I cannot give you the exact name of the two filters to use.

The next two filters to add are the video and audio encoders from "Video Compressors" and"Audio Compressors". Then the muxer, (for an .avi, "AVI Mux" from "Direct Show Filters") and "File Writer" (or maybe something else depending on the muxer used). Choosing all the right filters and connecting them often requires some trial and error. GraphStudio can sometimes add a missing piece between filters to make a connection work.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Apr 2012 at 19:50.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The VCR delivers frames at whatever rate they arrive on the tape. If the tape is stretched slightly the actual frame rate will drop.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great guide/advice! I'm going to try it out next weekend when I have some more time.
    I'm very curious if it's going to solve my A/V sync issues. I somehow think the de-sync has to do with the AVI container, since I have absolutely no sync issues when capturing with WinTV (mpeg).
    Quote Quote