VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,
    I have made several unsuccessful attempts to backup these movies since I bought the box (the 9-discs one).
    I own the Legacy box too (the 5-discs box) so I could watch the theatrical cuts of 3 movies and the S.E. of Aliens.
    But I want to be able to watch the Director's cuts too and I'd like to have consistency in terms of graphics and menus.
    Each disc contains 2 versions of the movie and it is structured in this way: there are many cells that are reused and some that aren't. VobBlanker gives me a warning about ILV and automatically skips the TitleSet containing the movies but it reads only one angle in both the PGCs (i.e. the cuts).
    As said I already tried to backup them on single-layer discs but the (old) player had problems during the playback (from freezing to jumping from one scene to another).
    Then I tried to backup using DL discs but I still have problems, even with the new player.
    Now I want to do another try putting each version of the film on its own disc.
    Problem is that I want to keep the menus and I don't know exactly how to do since VobBlanker seems to have troubles in dealing with these discs and I don't want to reauthor them.
    So the question: is there a way to split the two versions of the movie, burn each on a different disc and keep the menus?
    As for separating the two cuts I used PGCDemux but I don't know how to proceed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You could start by telling us what you decrypted the disc with.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You CAN split a single disc into two discs with one movie on each disc AND keep the menus, but it's quite difficult. I know how to do this manually via IFOEdit but it's not something I recommend. It's VERY complicated. Maybe something like DVDFab (not free) can do this for you. VOBBlanker is usually a better way to go than using IFOEdit. I learned how to do this in IFOEdit from the Doom9 website because back in those days VOBBlanker did not exist. Depending on how the DVD was authored it is possible that VOBBlanker can't do this for you.

Note that your playback problems may be caused by bad media. Anything other than Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim (avoid their Life series of discs, but their other discs are good) is probably bad. And you may not be able to find good media in stores in Italy so you'll probably have t buy it online, maybe from outside Italy. The ONLY DL discs you should ever burn are Verbatim DVD+R DL and the hard to find and expensive Taiyo Yuden DVD-R DL discs. You could try burning at slower speeds like 4x or slower. Sometimes bad media will be OK if you burn at a slower speed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @hech54
    If I remember well I used DVDDecrypter in File mode for the first try (single layer disc) and DVDDecrypter in ISO mode for the second try (dual l ayer disc). This time I used RipIt4Me+DVDDecrypter to create an ISO file from the original DVD.

@jman98
    Actually the DL discs are of unknown brand (to me) but when I tried the first time I used SL discs and they were Verbatim AZO.
    I just had a bad experience with Verbatim +R (SL) so I won't trust +R DL.
    I am pretty sure that the problem is not the media but the authoring of the disc (looks pretty complex) which seems to cause troubles to the player.
    I burn all my discs at 4x.
    Last edited by Instant Martian; 3rd Apr 2012 at 15:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    @hech54
    If I remember well I used DVDDecrypter in File mode for the first try (single layer disc) and DVDDecrypter in ISO mode for the second try (dual l ayer disc). This time I used RipIt4Me+DVDDecrypter to create an ISO file from the original DVD.
    Use something that is not over 5 years out of date and use DVDFabDecrypter.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's got seamless branching (I think) and you have to choose which you want to keep. It's not all that hard to get just the version you want to keep. Then you'll have the menus and whichever version of the movie you kept. You'll also have to do some menu edits and button removal so stuff that's been removed can't be clicked on. Angle/seamless branching removal can be done using either PGCEdit or IFOEdit. Doom9 wrote a guide to using IFOEdit for this once:

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/ifoedit-branchingnotes.htm

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/ifoedit-multiangle.htm

Between the two guides you should have enough to be able to figure it out.
    Quote Quote  
  7. @manono
    I will give it a try.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. For complex rips like this, I usually opt for the SlySoft programs myself, but then I paid for them a long time ago. They are not cheap to buy anymore but the company still does offer a fully-functional 21 day demo download (after 21 days the demo dies unless you purchase a license). If you typically use other software, and only need the SlySoft products as a one-shot deal for a special project like this, the free trial can be a lifesaver. Go to the developers page here, and download both AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. AnyDVD is the decrypter, CloneDVD2 is the ripper. CloneDVD2 has a preview window which can help determine which video tracks to include (you select or discard them with simple checkboxes).

The trick of ripping just certain portions of a DVD while retaining the original menu system is something CloneDVD excels at. You can do this manually or with other software, but it often results in buggy menus that crash. With CloneDVD, any buttons or links to material you did not rip simply result in a momentary blackout pause, and then the menu goes back to where you left it. Click on links to material that is actually on your ripped disc, and it is accessed immediately. CloneDVD/AnyDVD isn't for everyone, its pricey if you don't think you'll use it a lot, but the free trial version can be great for a short-term fussy project. After you're done, use the uninstaller to delete the SlySoft demo products from your computer (to avoid interference with the freeware rippers you normally use).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to put each version(2 on disk) on it's own disk,why keep the menu? I did this with the 9-disk when it was released years ago. I used DVDshrink and had no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  10. @manono
    I tried, it doesn't work. It plays the copyright warning at the beginning then stops.
    I tried several combinations of IfoEdit, FixVTS and PGCEdit but wasn't able to figure it out.

@orsetto
    Thanks for your reply.
    I usually go for free software but I have a question: once you buy a "payware" are the updates free?
    I edit menu buttons when I remove something from the disc.

@wulf109
    Why to keep the menu?
    Simply because I prefer to have menus on my DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Although I have that boxset, I'm busy and can't do it myself and walk you through it. It came out in 2003, so I don't know if it has advanced copy protection, but you might try hech54's suggestion to decrypt it using DVDFab HD Decrypter.

Then, the few times I've followed the guide, I remember stumbling on the new screen that showed up (for Angle DVDs) before getting it right in a second try. Also, if you open the DVD in PGCEdit and double-click on the movie, there's a button to 'Del Angles'. You could try it that way. Just be sure to carefully follow the directions it gives.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I don't think it's a matter of protection, as you said the box is not so recent and DVDDecrypter seems to have no problem with it.
    I will do some more tests and see what happens.
    The problem is that the 2 versions are not seen as "angles" but as two Titles.
    I think this is what is called seamless branching.
    Last edited by Instant Martian; 4th Apr 2012 at 15:36.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post

@orsetto
    Thanks for your reply.
    I usually go for free software but I have a question: once you buy a "payware" are the updates free?
    I edit menu buttons when I remove something from the disc.
    When I purchased CloneDVD/AnyDVD in 2006, they were offered with free lifetime update policy. As protection schemes got more complicated and more frequent, and BluRay was introduced, the programs have been updated much more often, and SlySoft changed its update policy to cover the expenses involved. Today, new buyers choose two years, four years or lifetime updates depending how much they want to spend upfront. Two year update license is about 100 euros, lifetime is 148 euros: expensive, which is why I recommend using the free trial version for this one project and then going back to your usual freeware. For me it was worth the investment because I enjoy the ease of use and reliability of the cloned menus, I don't like the freeware I've tried as much. In your case, it probably isn't worth it since you intend to re-code the buttons in the menus yourself anyway. Advanced users generally prefer the freeware. But try the free trial download of CloneDVD/AnyDVD: it may be helpful with this Quadrilogy project, and it won't cost anything. If it doesn't help you, just delete it or let it expire on its own in 21 days..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if it's like the FOX episodic discs several years back: Simpsons, Married...With Children and some others.

They'd show a full rip but wouldn't get anywhere.

Man, that was/is an old thread.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh: DVDFabdecrypter (I use DVDFab myself - all good)
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  16. @orsetto
    Thanks for the info.
    I made a try with CloneDVD but it didn't worked 100%.
    Let me explain: I want to get rid of the DTS track and replace it with an audio commentary from the Legacy box. The only way I know to achieve this is to replace the title via VobBlanker.
    I loaded the CloneDVD output into VobBlanker but the preview shows full gray frames at certain points, so there must be something wrong.

@classfour
    Thanks to you too.
    Quote Quote