VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. I have been using VOB2MPEG to extract MPEG from our movies for a long time. I use something else to decrypt the DVD and extract to an ISO and then mount the ISO with VirtualClone Drive and extract the MPEG with VOB2MPEG. Yesterday I found a MPEG extract that skipped a couple of portions of the video. You can see the scene just ending and jumping to the next mid sentence. I watched the scenes from the ISO and they are fine. I extracted with VOB2MPEG again and sure enough, two scenes get clipped. I tried finding other programs to do this but I haven't found any. What are my options to solving this without using a tool that wants to recompress the DVD?

Cheers,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottlindner; 2nd Apr 2012 at 14:17.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post
    I have been using VOB2MPEG to extract AVI from our movies for a long time.
    Really?

3. Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post
    What are my options to solving this without using a tool that wants to recompress the DVD?
    By your own description it's not recompressing but only cutting things out.

My first suggestion would be to not make an ISO but put it on the hard drive in full VOB, IFO, and BUP format before then using Vob2MPG on it.

Or, you can demux (PGCDemux) and then remux to MPG using ImagoMPEG-Muxer.

4. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    What are my options to solving this without using a tool that wants to recompress the DVD?
    By your own description it's not recompressing but only cutting things out.
    Correct. It's every other tool out there that is designed to decrypt, rip, compress it into a single file all with a single push of a button. I just need to extract it out of the DVD Video authoring and into a single playable file. I prefer to preserve quality and have no desire to save space. I had found VOB2MPEG to be perfect, until I found it doesn't work for various DVDs like the one I'm trying to fix today.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    My first suggestion would be to not make an ISO but put it on the hard drive in full VOB, IFO, and BUP format before then using Vob2MPG on it.
    I will give that a shot. Any thoughts as to why mounting an ISO and then using VOB2MPEG works for most DVDs that I have ripped to ISO and just a handful that it doesn't work properly for?

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Or, you can demux (PGCDemux) and then remux to MPG using ImagoMPEG-Muxer.
    Thanks for the alternative!

Cheers

Search PM
    I had found VOB2MPEG to be perfect, until I found it doesn't work for various DVDs like the one I'm trying to fix today.
    What are you decrypting these discs with prior to using VOB2MPEG?

6. Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post
    Any thoughts as to why mounting an ISO and then using VOB2MPEG works for most DVDs that I have ripped to ISO and just a handful that it doesn't work properly for?
    Nope, none at all. And I'm not claiming it'll fix this problem. It was only a suggestion to do it differently since your standard way isn't working for this DVD. The alternative suggestion is almost guaranteed to work. Unless there's something wrong somehow (corrupted?) with those sections that don't wind up in the MPG.

7. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I had found VOB2MPEG to be perfect, until I found it doesn't work for various DVDs like the one I'm trying to fix today.
    What are you decrypting these discs with prior to using VOB2MPEG?
    A combination of DVDDecrypter via RipIt4Me or AnyDVD just depending on when I did it. Long ago I ripped everything we own to ISO but playing directly from ISO has become a PITA so I've been slowly extracting the movies to single video files to make playback easier. Some of the disks were borrowed from family so I only have the ISO handy. Even for the discs that I do have that aren't extracting to MPEG properly, they have long been stashed in a high out of reach place so from ISO is the preferred approach just so I don't have to dig out the boxes and locate which one has this disc. These movies play fine from the ISO, so the ISO itself is not inherently flawed.

8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Any thoughts as to why mounting an ISO and then using VOB2MPEG works for most DVDs that I have ripped to ISO and just a handful that it doesn't work properly for?
    Nope, none at all. And I'm not claiming it'll fix this problem. It was only a suggestion to do it differently since your standard way isn't working for this DVD. The alternative suggestion is almost guaranteed to work. Unless there's something wrong somehow (corrupted?) with those sections that don't wind up in the MPG.
    I extracted to a file structure and used VOB2MPEG on that. Identical problem in the same two places. I pointed VLC at that folder and it played through both of the scenes just fine without skipping portions of the scenes.

It looks like I need another tool and VOB2MPEG doesn't always work right. I will try the other one you suggested.

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Load the iso into dvdshrink ... if it chokes you need to re-rip this title ... use dvdfab hd decrypter ... ripit4me is outdated.

Not knowing the title being dealt with lead's to forum post's traveling off on tangents ... most never lead to a solution.

10. Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Load the iso into dvdshrink ... if it chokes you need to re-rip this title ... use dvdfab hd decrypter ... ripit4me is outdated.

Not knowing the title being dealt with lead's to forum post's traveling off on tangents ... most never lead to a solution.
    I will give that a go. The movie is "Toy Story 2".

11. I used DVD Shrink and it is skipping at the same locations. What doesn't add up to me is why does it play fine as a DVD but tools to extract can't get the video stream a DVD player can?

I will borrow this DVD again and see if I can get different results.

12. Out of curiosity I tried HandBrake. I mounted the same ISO and used HandBrake to create an MP4. The two problem spots played fine in the MP4. I know I have seen this behavior in the past with other movies but never bothered to track it down. I'm starting to suspect a bug in VOB2MPEG.

Search PM
    Apples vs. Oranges= Grapes Win.

14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please buy the dvd,thread closed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.