VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hi everybody.

I know VOB files contain mpeg2 video format and subtitles and some other things.
    I have some DVDs and I can copy them on my hard disk.
    The only thing that I want to do is extracting mpeg2 files from VOB files without re-encoding.
    And also I need to extract subtitles in separate files.
    If one of my DVDs has tow different subtitles and two different audio, How can I extract them in a separate files.

I need your help.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Start with the DVD on the hard drive. It's easier with the whole DVD rather than just some VOB Files.

1. Extract the MPEG - Vob2MPG
    2. Extract subs. Depends on the format you want. SubRip to a number of text or graphic formats. PGCDemux to SUP format.
    3. Separate subs and audio - PGCDemux for separate SUP subtitle files and separate Audio files. Or DGIndex for separate audio files. Or SubRip to a number of different subtitle formats.

There are lots of ways to do these things. This will give you some ideas.

Khoda Hafez
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks a lot dear.

I think you are countryman

nice too meet you.

How can I become friend with you?
    Yahoo messenger is good?

Thank you anyway.
    Best regards.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Start with the DVD on the hard drive. It's easier with the whole DVD rather than just some VOB Files.

1. Extract the MPEG - Vob2MPG
    2. Extract subs. Depends on the format you want. SubRip to a number of text or graphic formats. PGCDemux to SUP format.
    3. Separate subs and audio - PGCDemux for separate SUP subtitle files and separate Audio files. Or DGIndex for separate audio files. Or SubRip to a number of different subtitle formats.

There are lots of ways to do these things. This will give you some ideas.

Khoda Hafez

Here is a problem.

As you said I used SubRip for extracting subtitles. the result is the OCR is awful and i forget srt format and this software was poor for extracting idx & sub format subtitles. (maybe i didn't know).
    Therefore, I tried PGCDemux for extracting subtitle, but this software give me a file like this (Subpictures_20.sup) and this is not idx & sub nor any famous subtitle formats.

what can i do?

Help please.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rh_1363 View Post
    Therefore, I tried PGCDemux for extracting subtitle, but this software give me a file like this (Subpictures_20.sup) and this is not idx & sub nor any famous subtitle formats.
    It's pretty famous. SUP is a bitmap equivalent to SUB/IDX in a single file.
    Many DVD authoring apps support this as input.
    You can view and edit them with DVDSubedit.

If you really want to convert SUP to SUB/IDX, see http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=111664

What do you want to do with your files in the end anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by rh_1363 View Post

nice too meet you.
    I'm an admirer of Iran the country and Iran the people, if not Iran the government. I'm from the US and it's nice to meet you, too.

AlanHK answered your questions, but if I may add... You weren't entirely clear what you really wanted. If it's VobSubs (IDX/SUB), then SubtitleCreator can instantly convert SUP format to VobSubs. I use it for that quite a lot. Or, you can extract the VobSubs from the DVD directly using Subtitle Configure (included in the VobSub package). Yes, SubRip isn't so good for getting the VobSubs.

And as AlanHK says, SUP files can be viewed in DVDSubEdit (and SubtitleCreator) and even quickly OCR'd to SRT format without you having to type anything.

Bamana Khoda
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    It's pretty famous. SUP is a bitmap equivalent to SUB/IDX in a single file.
    Many DVD authoring apps support this as input.
    You can view and edit them with DVDSubedit.

If you really want to convert SUP to SUB/IDX, see http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=111664

What do you want to do with your files in the end anyway?

nice too meet you.
    I'm an admirer of Iran the country and Iran the people, if not Iran the government. I'm from the US and it's nice to meet you, too.

AlanHK answered your questions, but if I may add... You weren't entirely clear what you really wanted. If it's VobSubs (IDX/SUB), then SubtitleCreator can instantly convert SUP format to VobSubs. I use it for that quite a lot. Or, you can extract the VobSubs from the DVD directly using Subtitle Configure (included in the VobSub package). Yes, SubRip isn't so good for getting the VobSubs.

And as AlanHK says, SUP files can be viewed in DVDSubEdit (and SubtitleCreator) and even quickly OCR'd to SRT format without you having to type anything.

Bamana Khoda

You've got a point here.
    Eventually, I want to Rip the DVDs. And I want to have subtitles inside my files. (separately)
    I think the best way for ripping DVDs is extract mpeg2 files and subtitles and finally convert it to MKV file with original Divx converter.
    The result is; the quality of video is perfect and the size of file is acceptable.

In the past, I tested lots of method such as AutoGK and Gordian Knot but there was some problem.
    first, that software was sort of complicated and toke a lot of time for converting. therefore, the quality compare to size of file was not acceptable. (maybe I chose wrong options).

anyway, do you have any suggestion for ripping DVDs in a best way? (Best quality and acceptable size).
    perhaps, there is some other new software that I don't know about them.

Please help me.
    I became confused.
    Last edited by rh_1363; 2nd Apr 2012 at 13:17.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you think AutoGK takes a lot of time to convert, creating x264 video will take even longer (if you're doing 2-pass or single-pass with both). Also, MKV is a container that can have inside lots of things, including XviD AVI video or x264 video. So, again, you're not being very clear.

If you're asking how to convert DVDs in the best way, there are so many answers which depend on your requirements. Is this for YouTube, for computer, for playing on your TV through a DVD player, through a box such as a WDTV? Or what? Maybe the best quality for the smallest size comes from using x264 video and AAC audio in an MKV container. For that you can try XviD4PSP, RipBot, Handbrake, MeGUI, and other programs
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you think AutoGK takes a lot of time to convert, creating x264 video will take even longer (if you're doing 2-pass or single-pass with both). Also, MKV is a container that can have inside lots of things, including XviD AVI video or x264 video. So, again, you're not being very clear.

If you're asking how to convert DVDs in the best way, there are so many answers which depend on your requirements. Is this for YouTube, for computer, for playing on your TV through a DVD player, through a box such as a WDTV? Or what? Maybe the best quality for the smallest size comes from using x264 video and AAC audio in an MKV container. For that you can try XviD4PSP, RipBot, Handbrake, MeGUI, and other programs
    Hi my dear.
    I have some problem with converting DVDs.
    There is some complicated points I can't understand.
    For example one of my problems is:
    The original file is VOB and the information of this file is:
    Code:
    Video: MPEG2 Video 720x576 (4:3) 25.00fps 7025kbps [Video (ID 224 @ Prog# 0)]
    Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo 192kbps [AC3 (ID 189/128 @ Prog# 0)]
    As you see the aspect ratio is 4:3 and the resolution is 720x576
    look at this picture: (the black edges on the top and bottom)
    http://belg.comuv.com/photos/bc3e78c17d35.jpg
    After I convert it to other format like MKV, Divx, Xvid the aspect ratio of this movie will change. (not in numbers)
    Like this:
    Code:
    Video: Xvid 720x576 25.00fps [Video]
    Audio: MPEG Audio Layer 3 48000Hz stereo 119kbps [Audio]
    It seems the resolution is fixed but look at this picture: (the black edges on the sides!)
    http://belg.comuv.com/photos/f367281bba91.jpg
    why these convertor destroy the real aspect ratio?!

Also there is a point again! Just in case when I convert it with original Divx converter, everything is OK!

I tried Lots of converters that you offered me such as; AutoGK, Gordian Knot 0.35, HandBrake 0.9.6, RipBot264v1.17.0 and ....

Please tell me what is a problem here?!

Therefore, I can upload a short part of this movie for you if you want to test if by yourself.

======================================

Second Problem.
    What is the meaning of this:
    Code:
    Video: MPEG2 Video 720x576 (16:9) 25.00fps 6000kbps [Video (ID 224 @ Prog# 0)]
    As you can see, the resolution is 720x576 and the aspect ratio is 16:9 !!!!!! it's impossible!
    to paraphrase it, look at this:
    http://belg.comuv.com/photos/46389f11f0e7.jpg

I completely confused.
    Please tell me which one of these convertor is the best convertor for Ripping DVDs to Divx or MKV format. I want to convert it to standard format that I can use it in every device such as DVD player, TV, Media player, PC and ...
    Quote Quote  
  10. The movie is stored on the DVD as 720x576, which is a ratio of 1.25:1, and not 4:3 (1.33:1). When it's played it gets resized to (roughly) 768x576 if it's a 4:3 DVD and 1024x576 if a 16:9 DVD. The 4:3 and 16:9 are the DAR (Display Aspect Ratio) that says how it's to be resized for playback. If you're converting to a different format (XviD, x264, whatever), either you do a proper resize (to 768x576, or 640x480, or something similar if it's a 4:3 DVD), or you set a flag in the video that tells your player how it's to be resized. Without that it'll always play at 720x576 and play with the wrong aspect ratio (circles will be ovals and people will be too slender). Maybe this will help to explain:

http://www.doom9.org/aspectratios.htm

AutoGK is easy because it'll crop away the black and do a proper resize, all automatically. Not all players will read the resize information, so your best bet might be to crop it and resize it, either yourself or by using a program that does it all for you.
    Quote Quote