VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello.
    I have some realy old vhs homevideos that i have capture in to my computer.

The files is in .ts right now.

Ive added 2 samples from 2 places in the vid with i converted to avi with doing anything els to it...

Im thinking of using virtualdub, but which filter and setting can you recommend... As you can see the color and all are horrible right now
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: avi 1.avi (31.17 MB, 270 views)
    • File Type: avi 2.avi (17.74 MB, 131 views)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You don't say how these videos were captured. They are obviously old, damaged tape. The first thing you should do is to stop playing these tapes until you can find a better VCR. I'd avoid JVC players -- they will not play tapes this badly damaged.

Did you "convert" these captures to AVI, or did you capture to AVI ? They appear to be converted to AVI from lossy compression such as mpeg or Divx. If you captured directly to MPEG or other compressed formats, that's the worst way to capture faded and damaged tapes.

You also need a line-level tbc pass-thru device. If you don't know what that is, you can find more information in this forum concerning pass-thru. There are also frame-level tbc's, but one of those might not be necessary; a line-level type of tbc is definitely needed here. Not only is your VCR having problems tracking these tapes, but old tapes like these have serious playback issues that can't be fixed with software. Even with more equipment, this would be a difficult restoral; the images can be somewhat improved with better captures and better equipment, but they'll never look like their original state.

You capture device wasn't listed, but if it's the USB device you referred to in an earlier post, it's doing more harm than good.
    Before you go further, you need some basic knowledge about what you're dealing with. Start here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video.htm
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 21:19.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why are your samples 1920x1080, 29.97 fps, and not interlaced? You need to capture at standard definition resolution (720x480 29.97i FPS NTSC, 720x576 25i FPS PAL) to have any hope of a real cleanup. Does the tape have the same blown out brights and automatic gain problems? Or was that introduced during capture? This looks like second or third generation tape to me. Can you get the original recording?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    jagavo, I noticed that (you beat me to it). The audio is also VBR, which won't work. It appears the original image is 4:3. The AVI submitted has been pillared for 16:9. I think the OP is trying to make this video HD by resizing. Or else it was captured at 16:9 ? ? I'm not at all familiar with that capture device mentioned in the previous thread.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Hey Guys..

The VHS tape is the only thing i have... Its realy bad quality i know that, but its a recording thats els lost in time.. So this i what i got...

Its captured with Hauppauge PVR-500 card... And the original cap is in .ts

But i didnt know how to make bits of .ts and upload for you so i convertet parts of it to avi to upload.. I still have all .ts file laying...

Its caped i 4:3 and the VCR is a good one from Phillips.. But again realy realy old recording so thats why it looks like it dos... There is another recording on the VHS tape thats must better.. But this one is oneofakind and i just wanna make it look as good as it can
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Ohh and its caped in WINtv (something also recommended in the http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video.htm)
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can cut .ts files with videoredo or mpeg video wizard (womble) both have trials
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thx master....

Ive used
    MPEG Video Wizard DVD

And its cut section so i think its done with out lose???

But here is 2 new clip in from the original stream
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well it's not gonna be easy to enhance this i can tell you that! Priority number 1 reduce the contrast when you capture by i'd say -1 or 2 units (assuming you record with a default contrast of 0)
    Msu old color's virtualdub filter seems to be a good starting point (color shift=16, auto levels accuracy= 2) but there is more work to be done
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I dont think i kan change how i cap in wintv??? and havent found any other programs that works with PVR-500
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    The old color thing i had found in virtualdub and had it on 16 and 0 in accuracy..
    What els do you recommend ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. WinTV has proc amp controls (brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpness) that may or may not help. Search through the options, you'll find them.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    There are no such options in my wintv.... just check again
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Ive heard about a Hauppauge Tweak tool, but i cant find it anywhere... All links goes to dead page
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm unable to create an index file with DGAVCIndex on the .ts files submitted. DGAVCdecv gives nothing but errors and refuses to create an index. Has anyone been able to open these .ts file? The only way I've been able to play them is with VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Not the tweak tool. It's built in to WinTV.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    I'm unable to create an index file with DGAVCIndex on the .ts files submitted.
    They're MPEG 2. Use DgIndex.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Will give it a run. Thanks.

Ed: Got it. Shoulda tried DGIndex in the first place.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 21:20.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think this question has been asked earlier: do these clips look like the .avi and .ts files when played directly to TV?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Sanlyn i havent tried playing them to the tv yet... Would clean them up before burning them
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Ive now found the settings for my card.

Can only help me set it correctly???

Brightness : range -128 to 128 >>> Current Setting 0
    Contrast: range 0 to 255 >>> Current Setting 128
    Saturation: range 0 to 255 >>> Current Setting 128
    Hue : range -128 to 128 >>> Current Setting 0
    Sharpness: range - 0 to 7 >>> Current Setting 5 (Its says: for a clean source a high value is useless. for noisy sources lower setting are better:

Static Filter
    This setting changes the Temporal filtering / motion blur
    Range 0-31 >>> Current Setting 8

Static Spatial Filter
    This setting changes the Spatial filtering
    Range 0-15 >>> Current setting 0

So whats the ideel settings ?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    themaster says reduce contrast -1 -2 units, so i get contrast setting should change from 128 to 126 ?
    Quote Quote  
  23. The ideal settings vary depending on your source. The first thing you need to do is change the brightness and contrast settings so that the bright areas are not totally obliterated like they are now. Using a frame from your video that's not blown out:

Here are blown out brights like you are getting in most of your clip:

Click image for larger version

Name:	blown.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	11725

Details in those very bright areas in the woman's face can't be restored when they're way too bright like this. You can darken the image but the blown out areas still won't have any detail:

Name:	blowndarker.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	11727

Ideally, you want your caps to look more like this:

Name:	ideal.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	11726

Now there are details to work with in the bright areas of the woman's face. The darker areas are getting close to black. The brighter areas aren't blown out.

It's possible that the bright areas are already blown out on the video tape. If that's the case adjusting the proc amp controls may not help. That's why people have been asking if the tape looks the same when watched on TV.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Its bad on the tv, but not as bad as this... But i have a 50 inc tv so everything this old looks bad there )
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    But what do you suggest i change the settings to ?
    Quote Quote  
  26. I suggest you adjust the brightness and contrast until you get something more like the last image I posted. Nobody can tell you what the correct settings are without seeing what's going on.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Ive played with alittle now... What do you think now?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  28. that's better now
    Old cap Vs New cap:
    http://imageupload.org/en/file/210586/oldvsnew.jpg.html
    Last edited by themaster1; 2nd Apr 2012 at 12:48.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Oki So fare so god What can i do to clean it up more then ? Maybe get some of the flicking away?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see any flicker. If you refer to the changes in light brightness, that's not flicker. If you mean the fuzzy edges everywhere, you need a line tbc or something to use as pass-thru tbc. It can't be fixed in software. For severe brightness changes you can try MSU's autolevels filter, but I've never had much luck with it and the settings are difficult to work.

You won't get much further until you have better capture equipment. The video as-is will be a rough go.
    Quote Quote