VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Asesinato View Post
    Jagabo the rx function looks realy good, how dó i implement it to my avs?
    I gave you the entire script for the section I fixed (I stripped out the side-by-side stacking). And told you what was needed -- mvtools.

http://avisynth.org.ru/mvtools/mvtools.html

You'll have to add more RX() lines to fix the rest of the video. If you want interlaced video again add

Code:
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,0,3)
    Weave()
    to the end of the script.

Oh, I used Yadif() to smart bob deinterlace:
    http://avisynth.org.ru/yadif/yadif.html

QTGMC() is better than Yadif() but it's much slower and a pain to get set up:
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/QTGMC
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Apr 2012 at 22:52.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    I got the perfect script for your source, previously discussed here (post #4): https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/343296-Transfer-of-real-bad-tape-to-pc-and-restore

I'm running it now, the previews frames look very good to me
    ...Following up and last contribution for today for me

I've used the script and here is the result:
    before/after (1 video, mkv, 720p, 40mb)
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/3zk3zg
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Trying to fix this in software only is honestly an exercise in futility. The conversation is slowly (painfully) moving towards advice of cleaning it frame by frame in a Premiere workflow. That's really the only way. RX() is not much different, and is essentially frame-by-frame work for a script, but without advanced painting/correction options available in the Premiere workflow. I have yet to see ReplaceAllBadFramesAuto()

You need to start with better hardware (and thus better captures) in order to automate or semi-automate the restoration in VirtualDub, Avisynth, and a few others not mentioned. The VCR is most important -- crap VCR yields crap picture. An ES10 may help here, too, as would a proc amp.

Some of what I see here is good attempts, but not really making it better. It's just trading one bad-color error for another one. The net result isn't really getting better. It's moving from blue washed-out to yellow washed-out. Some of the improvements have been good, but you're going to hit a brick wall quickly without better sources.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Ive been reading and is very confusing... i cant make heads or tails in all those post ) Which are you using from there? And what do i need to download for it to work?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Last post where for master
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    lords > i know its not the best way, but this is for my grandmother who is use to see that old vhs tape, so anything better then that she will love )) And the rest i need to work with off here homevideos is dvr tapes i good quality, so dont realy want to buy alot of things for this one 30 min clip
    Quote Quote  
  7. The blocky artifacts that appear sporadically in your caps are indications of capture problems:

Click image for larger version

Name:	blocks.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	11749

That type of error can't happen on VHS tape. You should be able to fix it by capturing again. You need to figure out why the data is getting corrupt while you're capturing. The usual culprits:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/104098-Why-does-your-system-drop-frames
    Quote Quote  
  8. That type of error can't happen on VHS tape. You should be able to fix it by capturing again. You need to figure out why the data is getting corrupt while you're capturing. The usual culprits:
    That's what I was thinking it could be hardware ( the card) or most likely software ( drivers for the card or program in this case wintv ) i had the same ( almost identical) like compression glitches with asus es3 hybrid card. That's why i suggested to capture again in virtualvcr it can support the card ( i think i cant try it myself ).
    Assesinato you can download the plugins that i uploaded for you ( here you have all the necessarily files including mvtols ) http://www.mediafire.com/?1851yr6rbmin762 and unrar it in the avisynth folder ( usually C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5 if you have windows 64x or without (86) if you have 32x) and then open notepad and copy the content of the jagabo post in it and put your file location and name and save it as avs script. More easier way is to use Avspmod ( it will show you errors exactly where it happens ) or use it old fashion way in vdub or mod.
    But i must agree with lS that the colors are just ranging from bluish to orangeish which is not the ultimate solution. Try to capture again ( I know is probably a pain but it depend how much time you want to invest in your project ).
    Capture the same tape multiple times ( 3 min 9 max ) and then use median script as jagabo said and if you are lucky that why you can suppress a lot of the problems. Concerning the "mpeg" glitches can be driver or software problem as i sad I had the same problem ( the captures in hyffyv looked like where captured in divx ) try to use virtualvcr or christv or other program that uses wdm drivers ( if vdub doesn't support your card) and use losless codec

Try this script just change your location of the file and lets as know this script is for automatic changing of bad frames it may or may not work for you
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by mammo1789; 3rd Apr 2012 at 08:50.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    i get a error, it says : There is no such function MPEG2Source
    Quote Quote  
  10. Did you put a copy of DgDecode.dll in AviSynth's plugins folder?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Wooops... That helped
    But now it says :

MPEGSource The imput file is not a D2V project file
    Quote Quote  
  12. Did you make a D2V index file with DgIndex? Then you use Mpeg2Source() to open that index file, not the MPG/TS file. Do not move or delete the source file after making the index file.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Did you make a D2V index file with DgIndex? Then you use Mpeg2Source() to open that index file, not the MPG/TS file. Do not move or delete the source file after making the index file.
    or better yet use DirectShowSource("your file.ts") i tried and opened and here is the result without color corectionClick image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	515
Size:	649.1 KB
ID:	11761

Did you put a copy of DgDecode.dll in AviSynth's plugins folder?
    i didnt put it in the zip probably I almost always use avi files or mkv. I think is better to open ts file directly with directshow source
    Quote Quote  
  14. I tried it and it helped with the comets and crazy "flickering " it looks more stable but some bad frames you will have to do it manually for auto is pretty good. Try it and render it in vdub then you can work on the color
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I allready have filters in virtualdub to help with colors, hang on ill post a screen
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Just toke 3 random screens... i think masters has mate the colours look realy good...

So this is where we are now... anyone have more ideers or are we ready now?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	379
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	11762  

Name:	2.png
Views:	375
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	11763  

Name:	3.png
Views:	410
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	11764  

Name:	filter.png
Views:	702
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	11765  

Quote Quote  
  17. I allready have filters in virtualdub to help with colors, hang on ill post a screen
    you should do first in avisynth color then convert to rgb in avisynth then opened that script in vdub that way you can get good results.
    Did you try the script that i send you with directshow i rendered it and it is pretty good and it is automatic as I sad you will need to manually do the very bad frames ( there are 3 or 4 of them not much only when transitions)
    One tip always first trim the source video with clean chunks and then do any filtering that way you can make it easier on the filters and on the encoders ( masking is also good think to mask the black bars)

Always work first on the errors then the color corection
    i will try it now and let you know how it goes

Look on the third picture especially you made it worse you blown the sky on the left thats a no go
    You have excessive superwhites in the video Click image for larger version

Name:	yyy.png
Views:	186
Size:	641.6 KB
ID:	11766 fix that first in avisynth then go to vdub i will do it after launch and post it here
    Last edited by mammo1789; 3rd Apr 2012 at 13:07.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Click image for larger version

Name:	majko1.png
Views:	218
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	11773Click image for larger version

Name:	slika 3.png
Views:	203
Size:	1,013.9 KB
ID:	11770Click image for larger version

Name:	slika 5.png
Views:	206
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	11771Click image for larger version

Name:	slika 6.png
Views:	209
Size:	989.4 KB
ID:	11772 what do you think

You should split the clip into scenes ( the bright and the dark ones ) and work separatly on them.

The "best" solution as was mentioned a couple of times is to recapture ( couple of times is best ) with correct levels
    do median do the script correct the color and levels and then encode to mpeg

That's just my tough i think the others will suggest you something better
    Last edited by mammo1789; 3rd Apr 2012 at 14:13.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    As i said im new Do you want me to fix colors avisynth?? How do you do that...

The very bad frames, that exist still, are just going to let be... Dont wanna sit and remove them manuelly

BTW

The scripts you postet is in a avs file, that file i have open in virtualdub and added those filter....

So now i need to encode from virtualdub, how do i that ? And with which programs???
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Im not sure what it is you correctet? Maybe im getting tired

BTW the correct picture is the one on the left right???
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Btw the virtualvcr you talked about its Can find my pvr-500 but not the audio part
    Quote Quote  
  22. Im not sure what it is you correctet? Maybe im getting tired

BTW the correct picture is the one on the left right???
    yes the last three the first one is on the right it has a little more red.
    MSU filters are ok ( especially old color r but you have to be careful it can led to psychedelic colors some times) I don't like the msu Mce filter it boost the colors unnaturally for me at least so i don't use it.
    The pictures show you how the bad frames were repaired automatically and the correct levels were used, because your video had super whites that means you had details in the area ( the yellow on brown part right side the upper picture) that when rgb conversation occurs ( vdub works in rgb32 avisynth in yuv ) you will loose those details in the shades and will lose information. The other thing is that levels are over burned and that mean some of the detail are lost, thats why we are telling you to recapture it again with correct setting ( if you do restoration that always means capture in yuv2 losless and then go to mpeg2 as a final step )
    For starters try the median approach as i sad earlier and recapture the video lower the contrast and bri bars in proc amp and
    start from there.
    To make it easier for you in avisynth ( i know how pain can that be myself) try this then try the script to fix errors then still in avisynth try these script and you can play with the numbers after that remove the histogram line ( and eventually add borders and crop )and save it as avs.
    I told you it is best to use Avspmod its match easier for starters.

Avisource("your video.avi")
    Crop(8,4,-8,-4)
    ColorYUV(gain_y=-12,gain_v=-5,gain_u=+10)
    SmoothLevels(0, 0.75, 255, 16, 235, Limiter=0, TVrange = false)
    SMoothTweak(saturation=0.8)

Histogram(mode="levels")
    AddBorders (8,4,8,4)
    ConvertToRGB32(matrix="Rec601",interlaced=true)

Now you have properly rgb file that you can open ( trough script )in vdub and filter there.
    All the time the file should be from start to finish in the same codec ( huffyuv or lagarith for example ) after you done in vdub you save the lagarith as rgb and then you put that file in some encoder of your choose and encode it to mpeg2 or whatever you like as a final step.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Btw the virtualvcr you talked about its Can find my pvr-500 but not the audio part
    the audio part is separated from video its coming from your audio card not the tv card you should check audio master i think ( i don't have virtualvcr now i use vdub) and chouse your audio card as input.
    Quote Quote  
  24. So now i need to encode from virtualdub, how do i that ? And with which programs???
    first in video you chose compression then in file save as and you are done no other program you render the avs in vdub

Name:	milan1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	11776Click image for larger version

Name:	milan2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	11774Click image for larger version

Name:	milan3.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	11775
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    you save the lagarith as rgb

rgb??? i dont understand???
    Quote Quote  
  26. you save the lagarith as rgb

rgb??? i dont understand???
    yes what you dont understand vdub works as rgb and all the filtering in vdub is rgb ( it is natural to exit in rgb to not make color conversation anymore till the final encode as we done that in the script as final step. It is not good to do many color conversations yuv to rgb ( but you dont have choice becaouse you do the filtering in vdub so you have to go to rgb ) you exit in rgb so you dont do another one ( vdub openes rgb works in rgb exits rgb instead of vdub opens rgb works in rgb exits yuv conversation occurs )
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space best explanation http://www.poynton.com/PDFs/coloureq.pdf

my previous post on the subject

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/340804-colorspace-conversation-elaboration?p=2121584

on our forum on the subject of colorspace conversation

https://www.videohelp.com/search.php?cx=partner-pub-7958603558688719%3A6824369548&cof=F...n-i-do%2Fpage3

Maybe this will be some confusing for starters so Im sorry i will try the simple way.
    The tv cards and vcr naturally work in colorspace called yuv when you capture analog signal you should always capture as yuv ( actually YUV2) you set that in lagarith during capture and set it to yuv2 you set the resolution to 720x576 ( or 720x480 in US ) 25fps you can do that in any program for capturing. Then you have captured file which is avi file and it is lossles ( plain and simple meaning all the information from the source is there nothing lost in the process as with mpeg2 that you were capturing more data more can you work with and keep)

Now avysinth works in yuv naturally and it is good to start there and to fix the errors and do the levels so you avoid colorspace conversation ( plain and simple no conversations no loss ) . After that you can stay in that colorspace and go strait to some mpeg2 encoder like cc ( cinema craft encoder which also works in yuv ) he will make it yv12 because almost all mpeg variants work in yv12( plain and simple you will lose some precision on colors but nothing bad to much ) and you done all the processing with as little as posible loss of the original data. If you want to work with vdub filters which is rgb natural you have to make that transition ( the script or convert to rgb after properly done levels easy that for you and lower the "damage" at minimum so now you work in vdub and process that file as final step in vdub you choose lagarith again but this time you choose rgb so don't do another conversation again ( plain and simple no more loss ). Now that file you open in mpeg encoder of your choose tmppgenc perhaps winch is rgb natural and he does the final conversation for dvd or whatever.
    That way in the path of the restoration you lower the "casualties" and end with corrected video.

One thing I didn't notice in your workflow is noise reduction which is important for almost all the VHS sources.
    Again you can do that in avisynth or vdub it depends of the preferences i do them in both.

If you have any question we are here
    Last edited by mammo1789; 3rd Apr 2012 at 15:23.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Look at you post 76# the right pictures have more glow than left ones ( so you dont see the details that are there and you will lose them ) like the girls chick and the sky and the boys face, you made it worse than before ( which was also bad) I now that LS can be sometimes brutally honest, but he is most of the time right. there are no shortcuts here

You must understand that with capturing in mpeg2 as you did you already done some lost which cannot be returned or restored because it is no there anymore. Thats why all of the guys are telling you to make another capture loslless no mpeg2 you will have all the original data to start work with which is good start.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I have new settings for you Asesinato

New Link (with a filter added) : http://www.sendspace.com/file/tu34v3

First i've used what mammo1789 has suggested in the avs script:
    ColorYUV(gain_y=-12,gain_v=-5,gain_u=+10)
    SmoothLevels(0, 0.75, 255, 16, 235, Limiter=0)
    SMoothTweak(saturation=0.8)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by themaster1; 3rd Apr 2012 at 18:01.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  29. I did some more tweaking today i believe that's the best you can expect:
    video: http://www.sendspace.com/file/5zwgd2

I've cropped too much but anyway you get the idea for the colors

The histogram (rgb) seems happy for most scenes and my eyes are aswell, don't think i can do more frankly.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    Looks good masters.... What have you changed?
    Quote Quote