VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi everyone, I have been interested in Blu-ray/DVD decrypting, yet I didn't find any free alternative to anydvd, so I developed a freeware named BDFree. This free app is capable, and has most of anydvd's functions. I think the freeware BDFree is the best free alternative to anydvd and can benefit everyone. I hope you will like it, thank you.

BDFree is a freeware that works in the background to decrypt any Blu-ray/DVD disc as soon as it's inserted into the drive. With BDFree, you can rip Blu-ray/DVD to the hard disk on your PC, or use other compatible (ripper/copier/player/converter) software to access any Blu-ray/DVD content, to copy, clone, burn, etc. And it is easy to make Blu-ray/DVD videos playable with any media player software. Also, there is no need for HDCP-compliant graphics card or display again. BDFree uses an online decryption system and you can easily get the decryption data up-to- date.

1. It's 100% free.
    2. No need to reboot after installation or upgrade.
    3. Remove all AACS and BD+ protection.
    4. Copy/Rip blu-ray/DVD to your hard disk just by Windows Explorer.
    5. Make blu-ray/DVD media playable with any player software.
    6. Use internet decryption and decrypt new discs in the first time.
    7. Cache the decryption data in your computer. No internet-connection need for decrypting the same disc.
    8. Automatic software updates.
    9. With kernel mode driver, it is compatible with most other software.
    10. Easy to use and no settings required.

Todo List in the near future:
    1. Do the code signing, for supporting 64bit system without change system configs.
    2. Support to remove region code for blu-ray/DVD
    3. Support to remove bd-live/bdmenu.
    4. Support to remove cinavia protection.
    5. Others.....

Please visit http://www.bd-free.com to download it:
    http://www.bd-free.com/BDFreeSetup.exe
    Last edited by bdfree; 1st Apr 2012 at 06:14.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Online decryption system?

Malware? Spyware? Adware?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Online decryption system?

Malware? Spyware? Adware?
    The online decryption system is just like DVDFab, getting the latest decryption data from server.
    No malware, no spyware, and no adware, BDFree is 100% freeware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like an interesting approach. I think I'll try it...is there any user response regarding reliability of the app yet?

Anyhow, removing Cinavia sounds a little far-fetched, at least speaking in short term.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'll wait till it's available with a valid signature for the drivers. (I'm uncomfortable with disabling the "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement")
    sounds promising,..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    sounds promising,..
    Not really.
    1) It's April 1 - April Fool's Day
    2) People in the past have tried to release free BD decrypters and in EVERY case the project was abandoned. The reason is that ARCCOS and other "bad sector" copy protection methods make major changes with every major BD release cycle and it takes a long time to make the updates to deal with the new copy protection methods. AnyDVD and DVDFab basically buy new releases when they come out with new copy protection variations and spend time analyzing the new discs and figuring out how to defeat the new methods. All the free projects gave up after a few months of doing this.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yeah, I'm thinking April Fool's Day joke too.

The only free Blu-ray decrypter I can recall that actually worked was (is) DumpHD. Which was more of a proof of concept deal over at Doom9, and seems to be abandoned. Cumbersome and needed regularly updated keys.

Lets see, there was WinX_BDDecrypter (I may not have the name quite right). Not free really, but was on Giveawayoftheday a couple times. Worked on a couple older Blu-Rays for me, that's it. Apparently it needs the pay version and updates to be useful.

You want free? DVDFabHDDecrypter is it. And updates will be slower than for the pay versions. See a pattern? Like jman says, newer protections require current updates.

You could also try DVDFabPasskey *Lite* (also free). Supposedly it will, and I quote:

"work with all the software that Passkey for DVD and Passkey for Blu-ray works with. You are enabled to use these apps to play/copy/rip the unprotected DVD/Blu-ray discs."

I suspect you could use this with, say, Clown_BD, to extract main movie without encountering a problem with BD+ protection or BD-J protection (java structure protection). Which are the main stumbling blocks requiring frequent updates. Master KeyBlock versions (MKB levels), not so much.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    sounds promising,..
    Not really.
    1) It's April 1 - April Fool's Day
    2) People in the past have tried to release free BD decrypters and in EVERY case the project was abandoned. The reason is that ARCCOS and other "bad sector" copy protection methods make major changes with every major BD release cycle and it takes a long time to make the updates to deal with the new copy protection methods. AnyDVD and DVDFab basically buy new releases when they come out with new copy protection variations and spend time analyzing the new discs and figuring out how to defeat the new methods. All the free projects gave up after a few months of doing this.
    Thanks for your suggestion. I think I make a mistake that I release this software on Fool's Day. But BDFree is not a joke of Fool's day, I have submitted BDFree to videohelp's software library and let them verify it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking April Fool's Day joke too.

The only free Blu-ray decrypter I can recall that actually worked was (is) DumpHD. Which was more of a proof of concept deal over at Doom9, and seems to be abandoned. Cumbersome and needed regularly updated keys.

Lets see, there was WinX_BDDecrypter (I may not have the name quite right). Not free really, but was on Giveawayoftheday a couple times. Worked on a couple older Blu-Rays for me, that's it. Apparently it needs the pay version and updates to be useful.

You want free? DVDFabHDDecrypter is it. And updates will be slower than for the pay versions. See a pattern? Like jman says, newer protections require current updates.

You could also try DVDFabPasskey *Lite* (also free). Supposedly it will, and I quote:

"work with all the software that Passkey for DVD and Passkey for Blu-ray works with. You are enabled to use these apps to play/copy/rip the unprotected DVD/Blu-ray discs."

I suspect you could use this with, say, Clown_BD, to extract main movie without encountering a problem with BD+ protection or BD-J protection (java structure protection). Which are the main stumbling blocks requiring frequent updates. Master KeyBlock versions (MKB levels), not so much.
    Yes fritzi93, there are a lots of free or "lite version" decrypters, I couldn’t agree more. But there is no any "real" free alternative to anydvd&dvdfab passkey, is it right? BDFree is a "real" driver just like as anydvd works in background with newest AACS MKB v26, BD+...... And it's compatible with most other software, use VLC/PowerDVD to play, use Handbrake to copy/backup, etc. I think BDFree is a free alternative to "pay version" decrypter, not other free decrypter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this is real it would be great and you are and we will be very but you picked a weird day to introduce it so if it's a fake you are and should be for getting us
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  11. What are the differences for bdfree and anydvd/dvdfab? i know it is free. anyelse?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can confirm that BDFree is real. It decrypted one of my blu-ray movies and I was able to watch it using the newest version of VLC Media Player. For some reason the movie won't play using PowerDVD 12 while BDFree is running in the background and I keep getting the Blue Screen of Death (this is on my laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit).

The only difference I can see between BDFree and AnyDVD/DVDFab Passkey is that the latter have more options such as a ripper, region removal, creating a protected iso image and speed menus.

It looks really promising and hopefully we will see a Linux version in the future.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by digital432 View Post
    I can confirm that BDFree is real. It decrypted one of my blu-ray movies and I was able to watch it using the newest version of VLC Media Player.
    Thank you, Mr. This Is My First Post. You'll please excuse the rest of us if we don't just assume "New guy who's never posted before MUST be telling the truth".

While it certainly is possible that you are really telling the truth and this program really does work, I want to point out - again - we've been down this path before with "free" BD decrypters. EVERYBODY gave up on them eventually, even group efforts, because it took so much time to update them with every new week of releases that it just wasn't worth doing it for free. Again, note that I said that even GROUP efforts to do this all got abandoned. Assuming that this program really does what it says, I fully expect that in no more than 3 months time that bdfree will find better things to do with his spare time than to spend it endlessly supporting a free program. Everybody before him has. Let's see how he reacts when he gets his first "Your stupid program can't decrypt this new BD I bought yesterday" email. I've found in life that people actually complain more about free stuff than if they pay for it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by digital432 View Post
    I can confirm that BDFree is real. It decrypted one of my blu-ray movies and I was able to watch it using the newest version of VLC Media Player.
    thanks digital432, i have try BDFree. With bdfree decrypting Avatar BD disc I played it using vlc player fluency. But i can not found the soft setting interface like dvdfab, can i set sth?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Thank you, Mr. This Is My First Post. You'll please excuse the rest of us if we don't just assume "New guy who's never posted before MUST be telling the truth".
    That's alright, I understand. I've done further tests with more of my blu-ray movies and most of them will play with BDFree and VLC just fine. Unfortunately BD+ protected blu-rays are a problem and unwatchable. I tested the movie 'Avatar' Region B that has BD+ generation 8 and my 'Star Wars' collection with BD+ generation 11. Some movies take a while to load in VLC but do play as long as there is no BD+ protection (not sure about older generations as they might work).
    Quote Quote  
  16. @digital432: Thank you for your confirmability. I'll test PowerDVD as soon as possible. And for BD+ problem, I'll release a "Log" version soon to help me fix this problem.

@vvideo: Yes the difference is as same as @digital432 said. But these are all on my todo list.

@jman98: Yes I know there are too many people gave up. Perhaps I will become a different man. Bless me
    Quote Quote  
  17. i check my Avatar disc it is Region A. i can play it using bdfree and vlc. i don't know if it has BD+.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	awd.jpg
Views:	1152
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	11825  

Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vvideo View Post
    i check my Avatar disc it is Region A. i can play it using bdfree and vlc. i don't know if it has BD+.
    To find out if your blu-ray has BD+ protection use DVDFab decrypter and click on the green balloon with the white tick located in the top right hand corner of the program. Click on the 'Info' tab on the left and it will tell you what protections are removed like this...

AACS (Advanced Access Content System) protection is removed! AACS MKB version: 20
    Drive AACS revocation level: MKBv24 or higher
    BD+ protection is removed!
    BD+ generation: 11
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by digital432 View Post
    I can confirm that BDFree is real. It decrypted one of my blu-ray movies and I was able to watch it using the newest version of VLC Media Player. For some reason the movie won't play using PowerDVD 12 while BDFree is running in the background and I keep getting the Blue Screen of Death (this is on my laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit).

The only difference I can see between BDFree and AnyDVD/DVDFab Passkey is that the latter have more options such as a ripper, region removal, creating a protected iso image and speed menus.

It looks really promising and hopefully we will see a Linux version in the future.
    hi @digital432, I have release new version 1.0.1, fix the "blue screen of death" problem when you're using PowerDVD to play the movie. Btw, now powerdvd can not play avatar by BDFree, just because I do not fix the BD-J menu yet, it's in my todo list.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you @bdfree for fixing that issue and look forward to seeing how this program develops.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anything new? Long time no hear... In the meantime AnyDVD and DVDFab products have been updated.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leghorn View Post
    Anything new? Long time no hear... In the meantime AnyDVD and DVDFab products have been updated.
    Seriously? You're complaining after 2 weeks? I'm skeptical about this project, but even I would have more patience than that.

You get what you pay for. Read my earlier post on April 5 about why this type of project has always died in the past.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm doing the research work for BD-J fix, it seems more complicated than I envisaged.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seems as if jman98 was right...no update for about 6 months. Latest "hottie" shown on website dates back to April 10th, 2012.
    Quote Quote