VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to help a friend who had to reinstall Windows. He has a Roxio USB capture device, but lost the installation disc. I was able to find what appear to be raw OEM chipset drivers by probing at the raw USB device info & googling for the matching chip IDs (installed w/o errors, & shows up in device mgr. as 3 working usb devices), but *nothing* I've tried recognizes it as a video capture device (Premiere Elements, Ulead/Corel VideoStudio X5, and Kdenlive).

I'm guessing that what I'm seeing might be an OEM FIFO chip driver for a generic usb interface chip sitting between the PC & some unknown MPEG-2 encoder ASIC, and something more might be needed to communicate with an encoder ASIC sitting behind it & finish the job.

For what it's worth, Roxio won't sell him a replacement disc, because a new version is available & they won't sell the old one. Their "generous" upgrade offer is ~$10 more than it would cost to toss it in the trash & buy a brand new one from Amazon.

Is it totally hopeless, or is there some way to make the device work under Linux or Windows independently of Roxio's rip-off VHS-to-DVD software? Kdenlive under Linux Mint 12 thinks it's a 15fps 320x200 webcam that doesn't work, and a few hours on Google turned up nothing to suggest it isn't a worthless paperweight at this point. My first instinct is to toss it as junk, but he insists it actually did a good job & is worth saving. Sigh
    Hollywood is in the same position as Shiite Clerics in Iran -- they've got the law and courts on their side, but common citizens hate them... and the backlash is coming.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, you can use the roxio w/out the included software.

when you open the cd via explorer, look for a folder called driver or a file called driver, and install the driver.

then, you should be able to capture with virtualdub, etc. under widnows. i have the $49 version and used it under windows xp home. good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Um hi, i also lost my disc, im not very good with computers so i don't know what vhelp means and i need help. iv'e been looking for software downloads everywhere. Help me please.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AwwwAmmo View Post
    Um hi, i also lost my disc, im not very good with computers so i don't know what vhelp means and i need help. iv'e been looking for software downloads everywhere. Help me please.
    You did not provide enough information for anyone to help you. The originator for this thread didn't provide much information either so we can't even try to help you based on the assumption that you have the same device.

What is the maker and the model name/number of the device for which you lost the installation disc. What operating system are you using? What is it that you need? Drivers, capture software, or both?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hey if anyone is still reading this forumn, I found a location to download the file for macs here: http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/easy-vhs-to-dvd-mac/software_updates.html
    Quote Quote