VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've been at this for hours, and I hope someone here can help. I need to convert some audio files to surround (or psuedo-surround.) I've been googling, and everything I'm finding is a 20-step process using five different programs to give you a studio quality remix. I don't want or need that.

I have a folder full of audio files. They're short, some a few seconds, some 20 or 30 seconds. Some are stereo, some are mono. Most are .wav, some are .mp3. I need to upmix them so that when I play them, they come out through - at a minimum - my two front and two rear speakers.

I don't need it to be pretty, I don't need to tweak the sub-anything, I don't need each channel to be separate. I just need sound out of all of my speakers, and I need to do more than 10,000 of these things, so some sort of automated batch processing is a must.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty dead set against this idea (Hollywood has been known to do this) but if you want to do it the "right" way there are some freely available tools that can do this. But there's no way to use those quickly.

Maybe what would meet your needs quickly is a way to batch encode to AC3 4.0 or 5.0 or 5.1 where there is duplication of channels. I don't know how to do that but maybe someone has an idea.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    This is for a project for my kids. It is ambient sound that I'm currently playing out of two speakers in the corner of the house while my two rear PC speakers (with long cords so I an actually position them) sit idle. I'm not trying to demonstrate perfect home theater audio, just have the sound come from more than two of my speakers. It isn't intended to be published, shown or anything of that nature.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why don't you just set your speakers to dual stereo? Ie, the same sound, front and back. Who needs cheesy reverb effects?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    This guide may help you.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1011274#post1011274

Not all the links were correct so here is the links I used for the programs.

Foobar2000 v0.9.4.2 http://www.afterdawn.com/software/general/download_splash.cfm/foobar2000?software_id=5...ersion_id=2279

foo_channel_mixer.7z (for 0.9) http://skipyrich.com/store/ foo_channel_mixer-0.9.6.5.7z

VST host (foo_dsp_vst) http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-Plugins/foo-dsp-vst.shtml

Aften https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Aften

Once all the programs are installed and set-up, the actual converting can be done in a batch.
    I was able to make conversions with only using the channel mixer and not using V.I. suite. You will have to test and see what works best.

If you have Audacity with the FFmpeg plug-in, you can test the AC3 file in Audacity.
    Last edited by ANK; 30th Mar 2012 at 03:41.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Why don't you just set your speakers to dual stereo? Ie, the same sound, front and back. Who needs cheesy reverb effects?
    That was actually the first thing I went looking for. As far as I have been able to determine, my card (HT Omega Striker) does not have this capability.

Originally Posted by ANK View Post
    I really appreciate you taking the time to dig up the links, but it looks like the player I need to use (Softrope) doesn't support .ac3 files at all.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by John T WIlliams View Post
    Why don't you just set your speakers to dual stereo? Ie, the same sound, front and back. Who needs cheesy reverb effects?
    That was actually the first thing I went looking for. As far as I have been able to determine, my card (HT Omega Striker) does not have this capability.
    Get Y adapter cables and split the front left/right audio outputs to the rears too. Of coures, you'll loose the ability to have real rear channels.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by John T WIlliams View Post
    I really appreciate you taking the time to dig up the links, but it looks like the player I need to use (Softrope) doesn't support .ac3 files at all.
    Would have been nice for you to mention that in your first post since your subject and the contents of your first post led us to assume you weren't married to some kind of software limitation. Jagabo told you what to do in his last post. Anything else looks like a waste of your time and ours.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by John T WIlliams View Post
    Would have been nice for you to mention that in your first post since your subject and the contents of your first post led us to assume you weren't married to some kind of software limitation. Jagabo told you what to do in his last post. Anything else looks like a waste of your time and ours.
    I had no idea. I don't believe I have a single .ac3 file on my system, and have never tried them. Forewarning you requires some foreknowledge that it is a relevant factor on my part, and I had no such knowledge. I do not work with audio files at all, and barely know the difference between most of them. That's why I'm here sounding like a complete neophyte and asking for help.

Get Y adapter cables and split the front left/right audio outputs to the rears too. Of coures, you'll loose the ability to have real rear channels.
    Now that actually sounds like a fantastic solution. I have some splitters, and I don't mind switching a couple of wires for a couple of hours to make this thing work. I can easily switch them back afterwards. I was so busy looking for a software/driver solution that I completely skipped looking for a hardware solution. And here I'm always telling people not to solve problems by starting with assumptions.
    Quote Quote