VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. We are creating an iOS application that uses the High Definition video recorded on the iPhone. We need to convert the video into a medium quality video to drastically reduce the file size before uploading, is there a way to do this? When upoading to YouTube it seems to compress/convert the video first on the iPhone, so there must be a way, we just can't find it after days of looking feverishly. Is there any codec like ffmpeg for iOS? I know we can convert video using ffmpeg in php, but how to do that in iOS5?

Thanks for any advice guys!

Shawn
    Quote Quote  
  2. Anyone guys?? Would REALLY appreciate some advice here.

Thanks,

Shawn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry but running an encoder on an ios device would be rather dopey. their processors are not up to it. offload it to a pc or mac.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks aedipuss, but YT somehow does it with videos uploaded from the iPhone to YT. And we can offload it to a server for encoding, but that still means the user has to upload a behemoth file only to have it chopped down for web playback...seems cumbersome, ya know? Plus it will eat up the user's monthly data transfer.

Any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  5. afaik (never tried) it theory it should be possible to:
    1. build ffmpeg with x264 support for iOS (see: https://github.com/rodisbored/ffmpeg_x264_iOS5_build)
    2. use ffmpeg you recompress a video

"but YT somehow does it with videos uploaded from the iPhone to YT"
    are you sure about this, afaik that is not the case,...

the user has to upload a behemoth file only to have it chopped down for web playback...seems cumbersome, ya know
    That's how YT works,.. you upload a video, they reencode it to different resolution and bitrates (using an old x264 version with ffmpeg)

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks Cu Selur. Do you have an iPhone? If you do you can see that some process is run first, before the upload begins, to compress the video. Our tests show that the uploaded file is much smaller before upload, which is what we're trying to accomplish without YT.

I do appreciate the feedback!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Nope, got no iSomething, but I do have a mac.
    Like I wrote ffmpeg is probably the way to go, main problem is probably to:
    1. get ffmpeg to compile
    2. check license stuff regarding the formats you use
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    iMovie is the app that compresses the vids before uploading. the only way i located to upload in a different format is to offload from the phone first then upload.

there are a bunch of ios video editing apps - maybe contact one of the authors to see what they use to encode with.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hmm, good idea, thanks aedipuss.
    Quote Quote