VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    clip from a movie which has horizontal black lines which vary their location when the scene changes. There's also a constant row of short vertical lines (not black, but like embossed) along the bottom edge (which can be seen in the clip where the bottom edge is whitish).
    Has an AMC screen bug, so probably broadcast via satellite/cable connection. Probably recorded with a vcr, then recorded to dvd with dvd recorder (and dubbed again from that dvd). Was the problem from the original connection?
    clip.avi
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 29th Mar 2012 at 09:03.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Was the problem from the original connection?
    looks like it,..
    I would guess:
    1. captured from a VCR with low quality cables and a not so clean head which also requires a general overhaul
    2. badly deinterlaced or resized before deinterlacing
    3. bad choice in MPEG-4 ASP settings
    -> I don't think any one involved in the process of the creation of this file either knew what he was doing or really just wanted to do a crappy job,... (I would simply delete the file )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    actually I made the xvid - I was only inquiring about the horizontal and vertical lines.

My avisynth script order: IVTC'ed it (TFM/Tdecimate), cropped it, then resized with Spline36(640,480). I calculated the bitrate for .2 bpp which I've read is very good. 77 minute movie came out to about 1 GB.

My dvd copy was unfortunately made from another dvd using stand-alone equipment (player to recorder) instead of duplicated. I dont know if that is causing some of the issues you are attributing to the xvid?
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1st 0.2bpp does say nothing when not looking at the source. Your video has macroblocks all over it, and a lot of aliasing and other problems,... no clue if they are present in the source or if you caused them.

about the horizontal lines, these were probably caused by in the VCR -> to digital copy process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can tell a dvd player-to-dvd recorder copy pretty quickly - slightly choppy playback when I chapterforward. It also has a "look" to it which might be aliasing.
    I also grayscaled it, but was just trying to make a good basic xvid (no major filtering). Would you mind taking a look at the (approximate) same scene from the original video?
    VTS_01_1.mpg
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 29th Mar 2012 at 11:46.
    Quote Quote  
  6. -> it's not xvid's fault, but your source is just really crappy
    I doubt you will get anywhere without some decent avisynth knowledge,..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    any advice about improving the ivtcing? In general it looks okay, but in that particular xvid clip it looks choppy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. a dumber IVTC might be better,...
    bob()
    selectevery(5,0,2)
    since the motion in the clip hardly has anything to do with the action in the movie,..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, I'll try it

well, didnt look too good. I suppose I could leave it at 29.97, but that makes a bigger file.
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 29th Mar 2012 at 13:06.
    Quote Quote