VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have two cameras. One shoots in 1920x1080 AVCHD format, the other in standard definition 720x480 DV-AVI format. From what I understand, the 720x480, when viewed on a computer monitor is actually 640x480, is this correct? Is the 1920x1080 still 1920x1080 when viewed on the computer monitor?

Suppose I want to use SD footage as a PIP, or side by side type arrangement with the AVCHD video. Not sure if this is an answerable question, but what would be the best arrangement of frame sizes in order to achieve the most visible usage of the two videos? The combined size of the two frames does not have to be 1920x1080, it can be less. Let me know if my question is not clear and I can try to clarify..
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As for the first ... no ... screen resolution dose not come into the equation unless you using a setting less than that of the hd footage ... 720x480 or for that matter all others are displayed as is true scale ... unless your using an ancient monitor.

For the second pip were dv-avi is used is fine ... as for the later, no, most if not all authoring app's while they can accept mixed content are generally restricted in output scale ... the 1080 either is scaled down to match the dv-avi or upscale the dv-avi ... either way in side by side one has to make a choice in respect of output quality ... choice is either upscale dv-avi "not good" ... down scale hd "better" ... fit dv-avi inside black frame "worse choice possible".

Then you can figure out "frame size" best to use for the project in which to contain both clips.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I'm more confused than before I posted....I did some experimentation and imported the the AVCHD at full 1920x1080, then I imported the SD 720x480 video, used the track motion in Vegas to resize that video smaller for PIP, then I rendered the video and it seems to work fine.

What do you mean by "fit dv-avi inside black frame" ?
    Quote Quote