VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

I've been out of the loop for a while and now I want to buy a blu-ray writer to backup my expensive blu-rays. The kids are killing me with having to buy the same titles twice. It may be that I can't even afford a blu-ray writer as I don't know how much they have come down in price like blu-ray players in the home market have. So I would like to know what everybody is using or would suggest my doing some homework on.

Would also like the same thing in software and anything else I would need to complete the process. Which brand and type of blank blu-ray discs would you buy? I really appreciate any help I can get at this point because I don't have a clue. Thank you so much for your help and I hope everyone has a pleasant evening.

golfnut
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pioneer makes upper-scale Blu-ray writers. I bought an LG SATA model (BH 10SL30) on Black Friday 2010 and have been happy with it. Previously I used a first generation Sony Blu-ray burner that was a bit problematic and fussy with media.

For serious projects I use Verbatim (not LTH yet) but for simple TV records, I use Kodak BD-R (Philips manufacturer) with no problems so far. Prices are now down to about a $1 per 25GB single layer if you buy on sales.

I author with Sony DVD Architect or MultiAVCHD or TSmuxer.

I burn with ImgBurn.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Pioneer BDR-203 BD burner that I've had for a couple of years. It's been reliable with over a hundered BD burns with no coasters. I use Verbatim BD #97457 25GB discs.

I don't author my BD discs, just burn them as data for MKV format files.

I do use ImgBurn for all my burning, DVD, CD and BD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Yes for TV caps I sometimes keep full quality ts captures but mostly use Handbrake to encode h.264 in mkv or mp4 wrappers. Then I burn as data to Blu-ray BD-R because my Sony S360 plays data files directly. Other players may not.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    golfnut,please don't double post,i deleted your other thread,continue in this thread for more answers on writers.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully your PC specs you have listed are old and outdated
    The reason i say that is because backing up a BD50 to a BD25 can take some time on my 6 core system, which is way above what you have listed and could take you a loooong time, depending on what settings you use.

I bought my first Bluray burner in November of last year.

LG WH12LS38
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136239

I seem to have seen a few people here not to keen on Verbatim LTH BD-R's,
    But they seem to be going on "other" people's reviews, not personal experience,
    and I have burned over 60 Verbatim LTH disc's and everyone has played perfectly fine on both of my LG standalones.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130187

I have also burnt 25 Optical Quantum BR-R's and they have all played perfectly fine,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817607025
    But i have since seen pretty much only good reviews on them, even here.

I just buy them when they are on sale, and as soon as i see the Optical Quantum BD-R's onsale again i will be buying more.
    Granted, i can only attest to what i have experienced so far, and who know's, maybe one or the other will end up failing in a year or 10 ?

I use DVDFab to rip the blurays to my HDD, then use BDRB to re-encode to BD25, then use ImgBurn to burn to BD-R.

And i can't argue with anything pioneer as i have been a pioneer fan boy for 30+ years!!
    I just bought the LG Bluray burner in nov. of 2011 because they had a sale on them for $64.99 with a free Verbatim BD-RE (rewritable) so i took the plunge.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008607%20600050463&IsNo...CE&PageSize=20

Just keep watching and you can get a good deal from newegg.
    They have a Pioneer Bluray burner right now for $99.99 with free shipping and $10.00 off with a special promo code.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129067

And everything i have ever ordered from newegg has arrived within 2 days, once in a great while 3 days.
    And i order a LOT from newegg and have for many years!!!

But if you are in no hurry, watch and wait and you can get one for pretty cheap!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a Pioneer and an LG BD burner. I'm not going to bother looking up the models because neither is still in production. The Pioneer is my favorite. The LG is OK, but there are 2 things that I regard as negatives. LG basically doesn't make new firmware easily available for any of their burners as best I can tell, so you better hope you don't need to upgrade it (to be fair, you may not). The other thing I don't like is that my LG refuses to see the new "Taiyo Yuden" LTH BD-R discs that I bought. I have no choice but to use the Pioneer for burning and playing them on my PC. I put "Taiyo Yuden" in quotes because this current batch of LTH BD-R discs is not the same as their previous discs in this format and they seem to be a bit more JVC than TY now. (In case you don't know, JVC basically bought TY's disc business and co-brands them now.)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lite-On 112-04

Verbatim (non-LTH) BD-r ...same as the ones redwudz mentions

Optical Quantum BD-r's
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Noahtuck
    The reason I've avoided LTH discs is my drive is older and no update firmware has been announced since LTH discs appeared.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Noahtuck
    The reason I've avoided LTH discs is my drive is older and no update firmware has been announced since LTH discs appeared.
    I can understand that as i have always been big into new firmware and being able to hack firmware for DVD Burners for years & years & years.
    This is my first and only Bluray burner so far, and it has performed flawlessly with the 2 mentioned BD-R media, so even though i have not found any updated firmware for it, it does not seem to be an issue.

Ya know what they say, "if it's not broken, don't fix it!!!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    golfnut,please don't double post,i deleted your other thread,continue in this thread for more answers on writers.
    johns0 I posted in two threads because I am looking for 2 different writers, one a blu-ray, the other a SD writer. On this, your link, you have 2 separate distinct forums for these 2 different type writers. I assumed you didn't want people talking about SD writers on a blu-ray thread? Also I didn't double post, my post in the other thread was worded for an SD writer not a blu-ray writer as it is in this thread. Just trying to follow what makes sense to me and the fact that you have 2 forums, one for blu-ray and one for SD. Your comments welcome.
    Last edited by golfnut; 27th Mar 2012 at 21:58.
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, you guys are GREAT, as I remember. Can't tell all of you how much I appreciate your input, advice, knowledge and most of all, your time. One last question:

What should I pay for my BR writer, just a ball park estimate is fine, just to give me an idea? Also if there are sites that put them on sale regularly could you list those addresses as well. Thank you so much fellows, you have been more than helpful to this newbie.
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    By the way how is the quality of your backup copies as compared to the original? BR I am talking about here.
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Hopefully your PC specs you have listed are old and outdated
    The reason i say that is because backing up a BD50 to a BD25 can take some time on my 6 core system, which is way above what you have listed and could take you a loooong time, depending on what settings you use.

I bought my first Bluray burner in November of last year.

LG WH12LS38
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136239

But they seem to be going on "other" people's reviews, not personal experience,
    and I have burned over 60 Verbatim LTH disc's and everyone has played perfectly fine on both of my LG standalones.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130187

I have also burnt 25 Optical Quantum BR-R's and they have all played perfectly fine,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817607025
    But i have since seen pretty much only good reviews on them, even here.

I just buy them when they are on sale, and as soon as i see the Optical Quantum BD-R's onsale again i will be buying more.
    Granted, i can only attest to what i have experienced so far, and who know's, maybe one or the other will end up failing in a year or 10 ?

I use DVDFab to rip the blurays to my HDD, then use BDRB to re-encode to BD25, then use ImgBurn to burn to BD-R.

And i can't argue with anything pioneer as i have been a pioneer fan boy for 30+ years!!
    I just bought the LG Bluray burner in nov. of 2011 because they had a sale on them for $64.99 with a free Verbatim BD-RE (rewritable) so i took the plunge.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008607%20600050463&IsNo...CE&PageSize=20

Just keep watching and you can get a good deal from newegg.
    They have a Pioneer Bluray burner right now for $99.99 with free shipping and $10.00 off with a special promo code.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129067

And everything i have ever ordered from newegg has arrived within 2 days, once in a great while 3 days.
    And i order a LOT from newegg and have for many years!!!

But if you are in no hurry, watch and wait and you can get one for pretty cheap!!
    My bad Noahtuck and thanks for bringing the point of my old computer specs up. I have now changed them and hope they are adequate for what I need to do. I can currently burn SD backups with no problem just never have gotten into BR yet because of high initial cost as a new format always is. I am hoping those prices are now down some to where I can afford a BR burner. Thanks again for your detailed message and help, I really appreciate your time and expertise.
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Pioneer BDR-203 BD burner that I've had for a couple of years. It's been reliable with over a hundered BD burns with no coasters. I use Verbatim BD #97457 25GB discs.

Hi Redwudz, I remember your name from the last time on this site, about 2-3 years ago. Thanks for the post and your expertise, really appreciate your time.
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Willl most standalone bd players play MKV files?
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
    Willl most standalone bd players play MKV files?
    Yes. These days even most TVs have a built in media player which will play MKVs. Most current players will also play video via USB. There's a Samsung and a Sony Bluray player in this house. Both will happily read and play the contents of a 2TB, NTFS, USB hard drive. As will the Samsung TV. Older players may only play them off discs or be limited to reading something like a USB FAT thumb drive.

In my limited experience with Bluray players, I'd recommend Sony as they support anamorphic MKVs (non square pixels often used when encoding DVDs) and the picture quality is quite good. Unfortunately though, Cinavia copy protection has become mandatory in Bluray players (it's a watermark in the audio stream) and there's no way to defeat it yet. You may still be able to buy Bluray players which don't have it, but be wary of updating the firmware of existing players. Fortunately Sony advertise Cinavia as being included in firmware updates whereas I'm not sure if any other manufacturers do. I doubt MKVs are effected any more by Cinavia than a traditional Bluray backup, but I'm not 100% sure as I've never authored a Bluray disc in my life.

At the moment, all Cinavia is probably achieving is to increase the sale of alternative video players and lower the sale of Bluray players, probably encouraging people to encode to MKV rather than backup to traditional Bluray discs in the process. At the moment, Cinavia seems to be confined to Bluray players and the PS3.
    We have both a Samsung and a Sony Bluray player in this house. The Samsung player will have it's firmware updated if required to play newer discs, the Sony player will never see a firmware update (as the player is a current model it's updates include Cinavia whereas it's not required for older models). Myself, I have my PC connected to my TV and it doubles as my media player. For versatility, the PC is king.

I use a Pioneer BDR-206 and have been very happy with it. I think the newer model (207) is out now. I just use my burner far backing up the MKV files to Bluray data discs. I've always converted Bluray discs to 720p MKV, similar to converting DVDs to AVIs. I've never seen the point to re-authoring DVD or Bluray discs, especially these days when using the x264 encoder there's usually no perceivable quality loss. Using a decent quality setting for encoding, I can't really see any major difference between 720p and 1080p on my 51" Plasma, although as I said I use a PC for playback. I've not done comparisons using Bluray players to see if they upscale as well.

PS. When encoding to MKV, no players I've used seem to be restricted to using Bluray-specific encoder settings in order to play the encodes, even Bluray players. You can encode using the x264 defaults and the encodes will play fine. Chances are the same applies when authoring a Bluray disc, but I don't know. It probably depends on the player.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 28th Mar 2012 at 16:29.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I have an LG burner slightly older than Noahtuck's, the WH12LS30. Probably little or no difference between them.

Apart from a 10-disc spindle of OPTODISC BDRs (sold under the Merax name), I haven't had a coaster in going on 200 burns. The Merax discs seem to be incompatible, or the burner doesn't have a write strategy for them; anyway, all coasters. I've burned a mix of Verbatims, Philips (both PHILIPS M.I.D. and CMC) and Ridata (RITEK). The burner doesn't seem to be at all picky. And it's one helluva a better reader than my old Liteon BD-ROM, which I have recently retired from service.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys for that info. I am also really concerned with what the quality of the burned copy will look like on my 10' screen which is connected to my AVR via HDMI, my projector is the HC3000 which I love even though it is 720P the picture is phenomenal. How do you think a burned BR disc is going to look on my 10' screen. I have the following BR players and all firmware is up to date on all of them:

Oppo BDR-83
    Pioneer BDP-51FD
    Sony S570
    Samsung BD-P1400
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
  20. If it worries you, use BDRB to do movie-only with the audio re-encoded to AC3 5.1 at 640 kbps. The audio will be "transparent" although not lossless, and will save considerable space for the video. If you do it that way, in fact, the video will oftentimes *not* require a re-encode. BDRB by default re-encodes the audio, you have to deliberately change the setting to keep HD audio. BDRB will not re-encode the video if it's not necessary.

I'm pretty sure I would not be able to tell even if the video was re-encoded, not on a 10 foot screen, playing movie-only and AC3 as described above. I think that would be preferable to resizing to 720p, even though that's your projector's resolution. A single-layer BDR is ample for Blu-Ray movies if you don't insist on keeping extras and HD audio.

Good luck.

[EDIT] Here's the latest LG burner, and the price is probably about as cheap as you'll find for a BD burner, exclusive of promos. You do know, I suppose, that you can read/burn CDRs and DVDRs with one as well?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136241
    Last edited by fritzi93; 28th Mar 2012 at 20:50.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    If it worries you, use BDRB to do movie-only with the audio re-encoded to AC3 5.1 at 640 kbps. The audio will be "transparent" although not lossless, and will save considerable space for the video. If you do it that way, in fact, the video will oftentimes *not* require a re-encode. BDRB by default re-encodes the audio, you have to deliberately change the setting to keep HD audio. BDRB will not re-encode the video if it's not necessary.

I'm pretty sure I would not be able to tell even if the video was re-encoded, not on a 10 foot screen, playing movie-only and AC3 as described above. I think that would be preferable to resizing to 720p, even though that's your projector's resolution. A single-layer BDR is ample for Blu-Ray movies if you don't insist on keeping extras and HD audio.

Good luck.

[EDIT] Here's the latest LG burner, and the price is probably about as cheap as you'll find for a BD burner, exclusive of promos. You do know, I suppose, that you can read/burn CDRs and DVDRs with one as well?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136241
    Thank you fritzi93 for those comments. However I would definitely want to keep the HD audio. I don't have a problem buying and using a dual layer disc is that's what it takes to keep the HD audio and quality video. No problem whatsoever. So using a dual layer disc what software should I use and what steps to go buy. What do I do first, second, third, etc. and with which software. I am really ignorant when it comes to burning a BR backup as I have never tried. Thank you.
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am using a LG. Model WH08LS20. Seems that it likes most Blu-ray disc's that I throw at it. Never had a coaster yet. I use TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4, Imgburn, Pinnacle Studio 14, Ashampoo Burning Studio 10 for all my movie and data needs. It seems that LG is kind of lacking in firmware updates, but have not needed any. I have yet to burn a dual layer and that will be a new experience. At the time the drive was on sale for $95.00 from TigerDirect. I did some research on which Blu-ray drive seem to hold up the best and got this one for its high marks. This model is no longer made and hope that it has a long life. I have made a dozen or so disc's that have multiple short cartoons from when cartoons were funny and enjoyable to watch. All of them play fine on my Vizio blu-ray player. I would buy another LG when this one go's south.
    If it feels good, do it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Double-layer BDR are pretty darn pricey and the failure rate is higher than for single-layer. You sure you want to go that route just for backups for the kids? And when they destroy those too, you gonna make more?

You could try movie-only and keep the audio intact. Depending on how sharp-eyed you are and if you know what to look for, it may still be hard to distinguish from the original. Most folks (apart from forum members) wouldn't, and my wife most definitely not, for example.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Double-layer BDR are pretty darn pricey and the failure rate is higher than for single-layer. You sure you want to go that route just for backups for the kids? And when they destroy those too, you gonna make more?

You could try movie-only and keep the audio intact. Depending on how sharp-eyed you are and if you know what to look for, it may still be hard to distinguish from the original. Most folks (apart from forum members) wouldn't, and my wife most definitely not, for example.
    You're right I am sure about dual layer failures. I will stay with single layer per you comment and recommendations. Every now and then I might try a dual just for kicks. Thanks fritzi93 for your reply and comments, I learned something here.
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Backpain View Post
    I am using a LG. Model WH08LS20. Seems that it likes most Blu-ray disc's that I throw at it. Never had a coaster yet. I use TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4, Imgburn, Pinnacle Studio 14, Ashampoo Burning Studio 10 for all my movie and data needs. It seems that LG is kind of lacking in firmware updates, but have not needed any. I have yet to burn a dual layer and that will be a new experience. At the time the drive was on sale for $95.00 from TigerDirect. I did some research on which Blu-ray drive seem to hold up the best and got this one for its high marks. This model is no longer made and hope that it has a long life. I have made a dozen or so disc's that have multiple short cartoons from when cartoons were funny and enjoyable to watch. All of them play fine on my Vizio blu-ray player. I would buy another LG when this one go's south.
    Thanks Backpain, I will put these softwares on my shortlist. Have a great day.
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote  
  26. A USB 2.0 memorex from Staples, $100 online, more in store, used coupon paid just $75. It's tiny, shows as a Pioneer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post

Hi Moontrash and thanks for the reply. I would like to know how you like the Lite-ON? New Egg has them on sale right now for 69.95 thru tomorrow, 4/4 which sounds like a nice price. Also would like to know what software you use with it if you don't mind? Thank you so much.
    Thank You,

GolfNut
    Quote Quote