VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, The thread title says it all really. I have a movie downloaded as VOB files ready for burning, but although the resulting DVD plays fine on a PC, a number of chapters (but not all of the DVD by any means) play in silence on my TV, via the DVD player there.

Don't have access to another player.. anyone any idea what the problem could be? There is no video_ts.vob file present, but that shouldn't cause problems with the sound, no? Could I re-author the VOBs? I tried with DVD Shrink, but it says that there is an error and cannot continue ("Invalid data in file .... VTS_01_05.VOB").

I have VOBEdit, but cannot see what might be wrong (not 'expert' enough to interpret the data) - though maybe the error in that VOB file has nothing to do with that file?

Thanks for any help,

Martin
    Last edited by martinlest; 26th Mar 2012 at 18:32.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try vob2mpg and then reauthor the mpg with dvd flick or dvdstyler.

Or use pgdemux to extract the video and audio and reauthor with muxman.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. Meanwhile I have used FixVTS to correct the error in the VOB file - DVD Shrink now opens the files OK. Will see how I get on now and post back results.

Martin
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hi. Well, none of the routes via FixVTS worked. In the end, I noticed that in the places I had no sound when I played my DVD on the TV, the sound was only coming from one channel on the PC when I played the original VOB files. So I used vob2mpg first, then processed the mpg to an avi using Super Video Encoder - selecting one-channel audio instead of two. The used AVStoDVD on the resulting avi file to make the VOB files anew. A bit convoluted, but I didn't find a VOB to AVI creator. In the end the quality of the final DVD, on which the sound plays fine (though one-channel - no problem), is very good, not that different from the original.

Thanks for the advice,

Martin
    Quote Quote