VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

Is there a format adapted to 1280x720x29.97p? I know 29.97p is not a standard TVs but I would like to keep the file in good quality, without interlacing, for playing on computer.

Which compression should I use: MKV, MP4, H264 or WMV?

And I would like a tool to encode directly from an avisynth script... would you have some to advise?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mathmax
    but I would like to keep the file in good quality, without interlacing, for playing on computer.
    Can't you play it as it is on the computer? If you can play it on your computer you don't need to do anything to it.

Are you going to hook it up to an hdtv? There should be no problem at all as long as your computer can play the original file.

Your only issue would be converting to avchd or bluray.

Check this out for more info on resolution formats:

https://www.videohelp.com/hd

Edit - mpchc or vlc should be able to play the original file without issues so long as it doesn't have drm. Otherwise you'll have to play it back on the original video player that it was purchased for (itunes or whatnot).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    MKV and MP4 are actually containers, not formats.

I'd avoid WMV. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's just a lot harder to work with than H.264 (fewer encoding and editing tools for WMV).

Lots of things can encode from Avisynth. Maybe you'd be interested in MeGUI.

Some authoring tools like tsmuxer may let you input 1280x720 29.97p video input and produce either AVCHD or BD output from it, although such is not technically allowed by either format. I've got some non-standard BD and AVCHD discs and my player plays them fine.
    Last edited by jman98; 25th Mar 2012 at 15:07. Reason: Added missing word.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would like to resize my video to a 16:9, that's why I need to reencode it. Also, I want to deinterlace it before resizing and let it deinterlaced. The video contains various sources and is a mess. There are sections with :

- 3:2 pulldown
    - progressive 29.97fps
    - true interlaced 29.97fps
    - 29fps with fields shifted : AtBb BtCb CtDb DtEb...

The documentary is 2 hours long with many scenes changing..i would take a hell of time to deal properly with each scenes. So I just want to leave it deinterlaced.

@jman98 : So you would go with H.264? Why not Xvid MPEG-4 codec? What are the advantages of each? I can make this with virtualdub I think...
    Then should I use tsmuxer to output it as a .TS file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Standard "720p" is 1280x720 @59.94 fps. To get there ...

1080i@29.97 needs smart bob deinterlace to 720p@59.94. Film rate 24p is frame duplicated in a 3:2 repeat pattern.

The only "standard" 720p@30p is AVCHD Lite used in low price digital cameras. The 30p needs to be frame doubled to 60p for playback. Currently AVCHD Lite isn't supported for AVCHD disc or Blu-ray but is part of the Version 2.0 spec.

I find camera original 30p jumpy during motion on a big screen although ok on small screens. There is no 24p spec for AVCHD Lite. The only way to get there is 1080i deinterlace to 29.97p which then gets frame doubled in the player to 59.94 for playback.

1280x720p @23.976 is an accepted ATSC format so ATSC HDTV sets will play it properly but computer players may not.

ATSC 1.0 video codec is defined to be MPeg2 in an MTS transport stream. Future ATSC 2.0 will include h.264 as an optional codec.

Blu-ray video codec is defined to be MPeg2, h.264 or VC1 in an m2ts wrapper.
    Last edited by edDV; 26th Mar 2012 at 10:34. Reason: typo
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mathmax View Post
    I would like to resize my video to a 16:9, that's why I need to reencode it. Also, I want to deinterlace it before resizing and let it deinterlaced. The video contains various sources and is a mess. There are sections with :

- progressive 29.97fps
    if the video is 4:3, why would you want to convert it to 16:9? you would have to crop it in order to maintain AR (and by cropping, you could wind up with scenes with a person's head missing or other stuff like that).

if you are just playing it on a computer, then there is no need to re-encode it or anything like that. there are software players that will do all that stuff for you on the fly.

i don't know your reasoning for wanting to do this, so that's why it seems like a waste of effort just to play a file on the computer. could you state the problems you are having viewing the file?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Farscape1 View Post
    Originally Posted by mathmax View Post
    I would like to resize my video to a 16:9, that's why I need to reencode it. Also, I want to deinterlace it before resizing and let it deinterlaced. The video contains various sources and is a mess. There are sections with :

- progressive 29.97fps
    if the video is 4:3, why would you want to convert it to 16:9? you would have to crop it in order to maintain AR (and by cropping, you could wind up with scenes with a person's head missing or other stuff like that).

if you are just playing it on a computer, then there is no need to re-encode it or anything like that. there are software players that will do all that stuff for you on the fly.

i don't know your reasoning for wanting to do this, so that's why it seems like a waste of effort just to play a file on the computer. could you state the problems you are having viewing the file?
    it's not 4:3.. it's stretched horizontally.. something like 20:9.. And I want to crop the black borders. That's why I need to reencode it.

Thank you edDV for the informations.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by mathmax View Post
    The video contains various sources and is a mess. There are sections with :

- progressive 29.97fps
    Your best bet is a smart bob like Yadif(mode=1) or QTGMC(). Crop first, bob next, then resize.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well.. that's what I did. To do it the clean way, I should fix each scene individually to either apply inverse telecining, deinterlace or fix the fields order... but that would be a lot of work. On the other hand, I really feel it's to bad to apply a bob on progressive frames whereas I could just resize them directly...

On doom9, I was advised to use
    vid.TFM(clip2=vid.SomeDeinterlacer())

I was hoping that it would detect sections with
    3:2 pulldown and resort to the fallback solution given to the clip2 parameter.. I was hoping to be able to apply a bob in place of SomeDeinterlacer.. but in fact, clip2 must have the same framerate as vid... so I don't see how it could deinterlace to double framerate, which would be necessary to reinterlace after resizing. Moreover, I wonder how I could recover a constant framerate after such a function. I will have some sections with 29fps, some sections with dupes that can be decimated to 24fps and some sections with 59fps...

So.. I just decided to consider the whole documentary as simply interlaced and apply my smart bob + separatefields() to resize it.

I made tests with several different bobber in order to see which is the best. I compared with a progressive frame of a telecined part that I simply resized. Here it is:

Now lets compare the different bob filters I used.. (see the script in the first post. I know it seems senseless to bob a progressive frame in order to resize it.. but as I said, I just apply the same process on all the frames of the documentary)

As you can see, the best ones seem to be TDint & QTGMC (at least on a progressive frame).. TDint leaves the video with slightly less comb artifacts wheareas QTGMC is a bit sharper.
    I think I would go with TDint because QTGMC is so much slower..

I also tried leakkernelbob() but it produces horizontal lines... which is quite strange:

I uploaded a short sample of the documentary here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?c1v3xib4mo1ggh2

I was also searching for filters that would detect progressive frames. If that would exist, I would just resize and use the bob filter only for interlaced frames.
    Last edited by mathmax; 25th Mar 2012 at 20:17.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Is that your actual source? You didn't reencode it from something else to Lagarith AVI? It's full of 8x8 macroblock artifacts indicating it was probably MPEG before. Do you have the original MPG file? It also has interlaced chroma encoded as if was progressive.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Mar 2012 at 20:59.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Here is a longer sample :
    http://www.mediafire.com/?3qk351mr691mvxm

I forgot to say.. after I realized my resizing was not so good on progressive frames, I thought I could deinterlace the whole file with vid.TFM(clip2=vid.SomeDeinterlacer()). There is no way I could reinterlace it after for the reasons I explained above, but at least I could do a clean resize on progressive frames. Moreover, TFM() fixes well the shifted fields problem (AtBb BtCb CtDb DtEb...).
    Since the aspect ratio should be 16:9, I thought I could upscale it 1280x720x29.97p... that's why I asked for advices on HD format & compression.

Quote Quote  
  12. Upscaling a 720x268 source to 1280x720 is a waste of time and space.

And converting everything to 30p will make the video jerky. The 24p sections will end up with a duplicate frame every 5th frame. The 30p sections will only be as jerky as 30p normally is. The 30i sections will get as jerky as the 30p sections.

At 60p the 24p sections will display normal 3:2 judder. The 30p sections will be as jerky as 30p normally is. The 30i sections will be smooth.

Code:
    AviSource("sample.avi") 
    AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC()
    nnedi3_rpow2(4, cshift="Spline64Resize", fwidth=1280, fheight=720)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Mar 2012 at 09:53.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Upscaling a 720x268 source to 1280x720 is a waste of time and space.

And converting everything to 30p will make the video jerky. The 24p sections will end up with a duplicate frame every 5th frame. The 30p sections will only be as jerky as 30p normally is. The 30i sections will get as jerky as the 30p sections.

At 60p the 24p sections will display normal 3:2 judder. The 30p sections will be as jerky as 30p normally is. The 30i sections will be smooth.

Code:
    AviSource("sample.avi") 
    AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC()
    nnedi3_rpow2(4, cshift="Spline64Resize", fwidth=1280, fheight=720)
    Thank you for your sample.. it's very difficult to see if it's smooth because it's very short.

So you would make it 60p deinterlaced?
    But I still face the same problem.. I need to bob the sections that at simply interlaced, and use TFM() on the others... this can't be done automatically, right? I would need to select each scene manually

How did you make the mkv? Which tool did you use?
    Quote Quote