VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have burned many DVD+RWs with .avi files as data. (Not creating the extra files for chapters and menus.) Staples and Sony brands.

First I used a Toshiba SD6100, then a Coby DVD298. Both players played those files just fine. I recently got a Toshiba SDK6100, and they wouldn't play. I heard that new players won't play old discs. Can anyone confirm this? Why did they do it? I wonder what the manufacturers expect people to do with their old discs. I guess they don't care.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post

First I used a Toshiba SD6100, then a Coby DVD298. Both players played those files just fine. I recently got a Toshiba SDK6100, and they wouldn't play. I heard that new players won't play old discs. Can anyone confirm this? Why did they do it? I wonder what the manufacturers expect people to do with their old discs. I guess they don't care.
    Whoever told you that "new players won't play old discs" is someone you need to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER listen to again. This is untrue. Seriously. Anybody who told you something that wrong is someone you don't EVER need to take video advice from again.

Now having said that, you need to understand something that you clearly do not. RW discs were NEVER intended for long term storage. What makes them re-writable means that even if you store them and do nothing to them after burning them, eventually they will become unplayable and you'll have to erase them to reuse them for any purpose. "Eventually" is a nebulous term. For the best RW discs like Verbatim, it might mean many years. With other discs, it could mean just 1 or 2 years.

The real reason your discs probably won't play right now is that the reflectivity of those old RW discs is not something that your new player can handle. That's actually pretty bad that a new player cannot play them as I would not have expected that. My advice would be:
    1) Don't buy Toshiba, Sony or Samsung.
    2) Understand that your RW discs ARE going to fail sooner or later. Probably sooner. You need to transfer what's on them to DVD+/-R discs ASAP.
    3) I don't recommend any RW brand except Verbatim. Nothing else is as reliable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I guess I should have said that I went back to the Coby. It still plays those discs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. [QUOTE=jman98;2150199]

Whoever told you that "new players won't play old discs" is someone you need to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER listen to again. This is untrue. Seriously. Anybody who told you something that wrong is someone you don't EVER need to take video advice from again.

That's actually pretty bad that a new player cannot play them as I would not have expected that.
    Didn't you contradict yourself?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=Iconoclast;2150208]
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

That's actually pretty bad that a new player cannot play them as I would not have expected that.
    Didn't you contradict yourself?
    No. Here's why. The original post implies that ALL new players will be this way. My point was that it's a disc reflectivity issue and it shouldn't be happening at all, especially with new players. But if you see that as a contradiction, there's nothing I can do about that. I see this as a bizarre and unexpected isolated incident with the new Toshiba rather than being something all new players will show. I'm sure that Philips and Pioneer would have no problems with those old discs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. [QUOTE=jman98;2150213][QUOTE=Iconoclast;2150208][QUOTE=jman98;2150199]

No. Here's why. The original post implies that ALL new players will be this way. My point was that it's a disc reflectivity issue and it shouldn't be happening at all, especially with new players. But if you see that as a contradiction, there's nothing I can do about that. I see this as a bizarre and unexpected isolated incident with the new Toshiba rather than being something all new players will show. I'm sure that Philips and Pioneer would have no problems with those old discs.
    Ok, so what's the difference with Philips and Pioneer?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have burned many DVD+RWs with .avi files as data. (Not creating the extra files for chapters and menus.) Staples and Sony brands.

Are you certain "SDK6100" is the correct model number? A Google search turned up no information for that model number. Also, is there a reason you think it can play .avi files? Not all DVD players can play them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. [QUOTE=usually_quiet;2150244]
    Are you certain "SDK6100" is the correct model number? A Google search turned up no information for that model number. Also, is there a reason you think it can play .avi files? Not all DVD players can play them.
    Sorry. It's SDK1000.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the manual for the SDK1000 from Toshiba support. According to the manual, it plays DVD video discs, .mp3s, and .jpgs. There is no mention of .avi files or divx.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I downloaded the manual for the SDK1000 from Toshiba support. According to the manual, it plays DVD video discs, .mp3s, and .jpgs. There is no mention of .avi files or divx.
    The product description on Amazon it says it will. I couldn't find the manual or even the player itself on the Toshiba site.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the complete product description from amazon:
    Product Description
    The Toshiba SDK1000 is a competitively priced progressive scan DVD player offered by Toshiba which features 1080p upconversion. Although not true HD, the 1080p upconversion allows current DVDs to be viewed in near HD quality on HDTVs. It also is capable of playing many formats, including DVD-/+R, DVD-/+RW, VCD, SVCD, CD-R, CD-RW, and MP3 & WMA playback. For enhanded DVD viewing, the ColorStream Pro progressive scan component video output gives enhanced color purity and image detail. There is a 192 khz, 24 bit D/A converter for audio, and is compatible for 3D surround, Dolby Digital and DTS output. There are HDMI, component, s-video and RCA video outputs with RCA and coaxial audio outputs. The HDMI output features "REGZA-LINK", which allows multiple components (that are REGZA-LINK compatible) to be controlled by one remote simply by connecting with the included HDMI cable, with no additional programming required.

The Toshiba SDK1000 also includes a JPEG Photo Viewer so you can view your photo CD's on your screen.

Region 1 (United States, Canada, U.S. Territories, Bermuda)
    I don't see anything about playing .avi files.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Product Description
    The Toshiba SDK1000 is a competitively priced progressive scan DVD player offered by Toshiba which features 1080p upconversion. Although not true HD, the 1080p upconversion allows current DVDs to be viewed in near HD quality on HDTVs. It also is capable of playing many formats, including DVD-/+R, DVD-/+RW, VCD, SVCD, CD-R, CD-RW, and MP3 & WMA playback. For enhanded DVD viewing, the ColorStream Pro progressive scan component video output gives enhanced color purity and image detail. There is a 192 khz, 24 bit D/A converter for audio, and is compatible for 3D surround, Dolby Digital and DTS output. There are HDMI, component, s-video and RCA video outputs with RCA and coaxial audio outputs. The HDMI output features "REGZA-LINK", which allows multiple components (that are REGZA-LINK compatible) to be controlled by one remote simply by connecting with the included HDMI cable, with no additional programming required.

The Toshiba SDK1000 also includes a JPEG Photo Viewer so you can view your photo CD's on your screen.

I think you're splitting hairs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Product Description

Being an argumentative ass is a great way to get help around here - not.

I can't speak for unusually_quiet, but I'm done here. And I'm not going to answer your previous question for me for reasons related to my first sentence above.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Product Description

Being an argumentative ass is a great way to get help around here - not.

I can't speak for unusually_quiet, but I'm done here. And I'm not going to answer your previous question for me for reasons related to my first sentence above.
    I'm being argumentative? That's funny.

Those product descriptions don't necessarily prove anything.

Isn't name calling a good way to get banned?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And you believe the description on amazon over the OEM manual?
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    iconoclast: Your "join date" says it all.

I doubt Baldrick will ban anyone for being nasty to you.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by classfour View Post
    And you believe the description on amazon over the OEM manual?
    Read some customer reviews. "Even though the manual doesn't say it..."
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by classfour View Post
    iconoclast: Your "join date" says it all.

I doubt Baldrick will ban anyone for being nasty to you.
    What does my join date have to do with it? I haven't called anyone a name...yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yet?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    and jman did not call you a newbie. But that could be used.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have stood upon the shoulders of giants in this forum - and they tried to help you.

Sometimes it only requires reading the post.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LS....are you out there?

Time to teach the newbie.....
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by classfour View Post
    I have stood upon the shoulders of giants in this forum.
    You would have to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read the posts, genius.

Otherwise, vacate the forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Iconoclast
    I don't have a horse in this race so I'm trying to help but it seems you were mislead by the vendor or something you read.

I researched this product after reading the previous comments and came to the same conclusion that this player will not play divx, xvid or generic mpeg4 avi. You can easily google the reviews on this player and none say it will play divx. I could only find one facebook ad where a lady says she bought one for her boyfriend at Christmas and it played divx. No other comment or description on any review site substantiates this anywhere. Since it is not uncommon for people to comment on the wrong product when adding a review I would say it is in error.

Whoever added this player to the VH site player list also did not indicate that this one played divx.
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers/toshiba-sdk1000/10792

Unfortunately the conclusion is that your dvdrw discs are probably fine it's just that the player can't handle the file format. If you can return this player because the salesclerk misinformed you then I would advise you do so.

Edit:
    Just to add. The same comment from the lady who bought one for her boyfriend is duplicated on Amazon as well as the Facebook ad.

See comment....Good quality player, May 9, 2011
    http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-SDK1000-Player-1080p-Upscaling/product-reviews/B003H2LW7I?pageNumber=2

See first review: " I bought this DVD player as a Christmas gift...."
    http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=259617274112528-Price-compare-Toshiba-SDK1000...080p-Upscaling

Just shows how errors get carried forward by different sites who just re-quote the same reviews without checking. This is very common so you really have to research your product well.
    Last edited by gll99; 25th Mar 2012 at 22:24.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well spoken...gll99, man from the tundra.

Sometimes, google can be a bigger friend than amazon.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The product description on Amazon it says it will. I couldn't find the manual or even the player itself on the Toshiba site.
    Links for downloading manuals are often found through the manufacturer's support website, not the normal one. Since you were unable to locate the manual for your DVD player, here is a link for the page containing the download link.
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&categor...Family=2797344

Click on the tab labeled "User Guide" to initiate the download.

I agree with gll99, your best bet would be to return the DVD player if you can still do so. A Philips DVP3560 would be one possible replacement with the features you want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And, there's a reason you are called unusually quiet......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    shoulders of genius's

Like I said.....iconoclast.

But: you know all.

LS stomp on this one.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by classfour View Post
    And, there's a reason you are called unusually quiet......
    Don't put me on a pedestal. I will surely loose my balance an fall off. The air up there is too thin. Trust me, I have had my moments here...
    Quote Quote