VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I watched this person's video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rig2WNo0ttw

And am trying to apply the same procedure with the XA10 but in auto mode, I don't see where it shows the fstop and shutter speed.

So I have a good 18% grey card now. Can someone help me with the proper procedure to get the correct exposure?

Thanks so much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming the XA10 is like my Canon HV20 and HG20, you'll need to have an SD card inserted in your camera. Then pressing the Still Picture Shutter button down half way will give you the F-Stop and Shutter Speed settings on the LCD screen.

The video gives good detail on how to expose, You should be able to get your exposure correct or close enough using his instructions.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, here's the problem: In the tutorial video, the guy uses the auto mode of his camera to get the correct exposure while focused on the gray card. He then uses that setting in his manual mode. I can't figure out how to show the exposure settings in auto mode on the XA10 in order to make note of the aperture and shutter speed....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the tutorial video, the guy uses the auto mode of his camera to get the correct exposure while focused on the gray card. He then switches the camera over to "Manual Mode" there by locking in the exposure that was created by "Auto Mode". After this is done, you should still have some leeway to adjust via "Exposure Compensation".

You might want to crack open the manual to figure out how it's done. You may also want to read a good book about Exposure through Aperture, Focal Lengths and Shutter Speed.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been reading the manual over and over and it just shows where the settings are, but not really how to use them. I've also spent several hours looking at tutorial videos on Youtube, but they weren't very helpful. There was one that was helpful, but it was basically the same as the video I linked to in that he got the exposure in auto mode and then switched to manual. I don't think that works with the XA10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I just had a play with my HFG10 which is essentially the same minus the carry bar

What you can do is zoom in. Take a photo. Goto playback mode, make sure that in the menu "Data Code" is set to Camera data. Play the photo you just took. It will have aperture and shutterspeed, but not gain.

What is a better idea would be flicking the switch at the top to M. Then press Func and the top left option, change it to M. Tap WFM. Point the cam at the gray card. The wavy line, which represents how bright the scene is, should hover around 30-45% for the card. Play with the top left two (aperture, shutterspeed) while keeping the bottom one (gain) as low as you can.

Edit: OMG cant believe I joined and bumped a 4 month old thread... sorry lol
    Last edited by bigjezza; 19th Jul 2012 at 09:48. Reason: embarrasment
    Quote Quote