VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought my BD-R drive like a year ago now (Pioneer BDR-206) and I've barely bothered to burn anything, except backups to kill the region code on an import or two so I could watch them on my PS3. Anyway, I only had a 10 pack of Verbatims, and I'd like to start backing up some TV shows to BD for more convenient marathon watching. If I watch 1 episode, I pretty much watch the whole season. Point being, I'll be needing more discs, and I'm wondering what to get that burns reliably and has good compatibility with players. I primarily use a PS3, but there's also a Sony BD player in the house. Are the Taiyo Yuden BD-Rs the way to go now that they make some? I know their DVD-Rs were first rate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sephiroth666 View Post
    I bought my BD-R drive like a year ago now (Pioneer BDR-206) and I've barely bothered to burn anything, except backups to kill the region code on an import or two so I could watch them on my PS3. Anyway, I only had a 10 pack of Verbatims, and I'd like to start backing up some TV shows to BD for more convenient marathon watching. If I watch 1 episode, I pretty much watch the whole season. Point being, I'll be needing more discs, and I'm wondering what to get that burns reliably and has good compatibility with players. I primarily use a PS3, but there's also a Sony BD player in the house. Are the Taiyo Yuden BD-Rs the way to go now that they make some? I know their DVD-Rs were first rate.
    For TV shows I'm willing to risk coasters. Verbatim are great but price is high. I use those for serious applications.

I bought some of Frys discount Kodak BDR on sale for about $1/25GB as a risk play. Turns out these are Philips media and seem to work fine with my LG burner and ImgBurn. No coasters yet . Now I buy them in 25 packs.

IMO TV show burns can be risked.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by Sephiroth666 View Post
    For TV shows I'm willing to risk coasters. Verbatim are great but price is high. I use those for serious applications.

I bought some of Frys discount Kodak BDR on sale for about $1/25GB as a risk play. Turns out these are Philips media and seem to work fine with my LG burner and ImgBurn. No coasters yet . Now I buy them in 25 packs.

IMO TV show burns can be risked.
    To each his own. I burn shit to last.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm with edDV, same deal. Going on 200 burns now without a coaster on my LG burner using ImgBurn. A mix of PHILIPS, CMC, RITEK, VERBATIM media codes. And yeah, I have played them on a standalone, no problem.

The fact is that we're not dealing with DVD media, for which there is a lot of accumulated data and experience. One can't simply assume that, for instance, Verbatim BDRs are more (most?) reliable. We just don't know yet.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In these days of high hard disk pricing, my marginal files get deleted or burned in 22GB chunks to BDR. Great not to have to fit 4.35GB/7.9GB limits. Also, BDR 25GB are similar price to dual layer DVDR 7.9GB.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    In these days of high hard disk pricing, my marginal files get deleted or burned in 22GB chunks to BDR. Great not to have to fit 4.35GB/7.9GB limits. Also, BDR 25GB are similar price to dual layer DVDR 7.9GB.
    It's not the HDD pricing I worry about, so much as the quality going to hell. I'll probably be headed for BD-R data backups at some point too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    i've burned over a thousand BD-Rs with my pioneer BDR-205+206. i don't bother with verbatim. the pioneer drive absolutely loves "digistor (CMCMAG-BA5-000)" and burns over 11x. it also loves "optical quantum (PHILIP-R04-000)" @10x.

only a few coasters in over a 1000 burns. no playback problems on my BD players.

for BD50s, i use digistor. not a single coaster (and no playback problems) after 60+ burns.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    too early to tell really. I've only burned data to Verbatim's and Optical Quantum's (Philips) with my Lite-On. I've done multiple scans on both and the Verbatim's score a bit better in PIF/error scans than the Optical Quantums. If you were to grade scale them the Verbatim's would probably be A to B+...the Optical Quantum's are B to C+...The scans on the OQ's were totally fine though...no real issues. I'll use em still. The errors scores aren't close to bad enough for me to stop using them. A simple comparison would something like...the verbatim to Ritek dvd media comparison.

you should be safe with either brand
    Quote Quote  
  9. I would stick with the Verbatims, for about $1.50 apiece it's better to be safe than sorry. I've burned 100 plus BD-R data/playable discs with no coasters or compatability issues. Stay away from the cheap LTH ones though.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Verbatim (non-LTH) or Smart-Blu (made by FTI/Falcon). You can find the Smart-Blu disks online at Media MegaMall.

The double layer Smart Blu disks are not made by FTI. Those are plain CMC made disks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The Taiyo Yuden LTH BD-R discs have changed since last year. Last year I bought a couple of packs and my region free Momitsu BE player played them all with no problems. They could be burned at 2x and 4x speeds. The new Taiyo Yuden discs have a different manufacturing code and can only be burned at 2x speed. My Momitsu refuses to play them. I have tried the discs on other players belonging to friends and family and they work fine on their players. I still buy the discs and use them (I like to print labels on them) but anything I put on them is basically for archival purposes as at some point in the future I will own another BD player that will probably play them. I do want to warn you that I have no choice but to burn them with my Pioneer BD burner. My LG BD burner refuses to see the discs at all. Even the ones the Pioneer burns can't be recognized by it. So the TY LTH BD-R discs that are currently available are certainly iffy for some burners and some BD players.

I have not tried the Verbatim LTH BD-R discs yet. I'm a little afraid that I may just end up in the same boat as with the TY LTH BD-R discs. However, Verbatim's non-LTH media works fine with my player.

Without doing any research, I foolishly bought an imported pack of TDK BD-R discs from Japan. I about had a fit when I realized that they were Ritek made discs. However, I have to admit that the discs burned and played fine although I won't buy them again because I don't trust Ritek.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I was weary of the TY disc because of that. I hope they start making regular BD-Rs at some point. Until then, I'll probably pick up some Verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    All i can say is, i have now burned over 60 Verbatim BDR LTH disc's and every one plays perfectly fine and the few i bothered to do scans on came out great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130187

And i bought all of them from newegg for a final cost of .85 per disc.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	VerbBDR.jpg
Views:	6177
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	11558

But i have only played them on my 2 LG standalone Bluray players and my LG Bluray burner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there was just a 20 pac verbatim bd lth on amazon for $8
    I put it in my cart but they cancelled it
    "This item is no longer available from the seller you selected."
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim (non-LTH) for BD-R. Taiyo Yuden for BD-R DL.
    Quote Quote