VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If I am using DVD Decrypter to make a Rip of the DVD. Should I be making a .IFO file or a .ISO file to get a true as original without any changes or compression a ditto replica of the original DVD ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Make an iso. In ifo mode can you extract by chapters and separate video and audio streams. You aren't creating a .ifo.

But dvd decrypter doesn't support all dvds so then you need dvdfab or anydvd or the free bdlot dvd iso master.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok, I am trying to Rip a DVD using DVD Decrypter and when I try to make a .ISO file from it. It gives me a message Attached is the screenshot

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dvd Decrypter.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	11619
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try using a ripper that is not 7 years old.
    Latest version: 3.5.4.0 (March 21, 2005)
    DVDFabDecrypter comes to mind.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ripping to IFO mode makes files as in "many" not file as in "one". You want an ISO which is a single file, as Baldrick mentioned.

The author of DVDDecrypter was given an offer he couldn't refuse where if he agreed to abandon the project and turn over the source code he could avoid facing a potentially ruinous lawsuit in the US courts. As a result DVDDecrypter is unable to deal with "bad sector" copy protection methods that have come out since the final update. The people that threatened him sued 123 Studios out of existence and they thought they had a way to both comply with US law and allow purchasers to legally backup their DVDs. The US courts thought otherwise, so you can understand why the author decided to accept the "generous" offer he was given to abandon the program. This is not a complete list, but Sony and Disney are the US studios that use bad sector copy protection methods the most. You'll have to use AnyDVD or DVDFabDecrypter (they have a free version) to rip such discs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks GUys for the information and Help. But I was wondering If I could do this. I recollect me doing this sometime back the process that I followed was first Run DVD Region Free I think that would make the DVD copyright free and then DVD Decrypter would copy it for me. I had a trial version of DVD Region Free and hence now It longer works as my Trial period is now over. But If I could get the password for DVD Region Free I can give it a try again.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by augustya View Post
    Thanks GUys for the information and Help. But I was wondering If I could do this. I recollect me doing this sometime back the process that I followed was first Run DVD Region Free I think that would make the DVD copyright free and then DVD Decrypter would copy it for me. I had a trial version of DVD Region Free and hence now It longer works as my Trial period is now over. But If I could get the password for DVD Region Free I can give it a try again.

Thanks
    What part of "DVDDecrypter is old, outdated, and probably will not work on newer DVD releases" are you having trouble with?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    What part of "DVDDecrypter is old, outdated, and probably will not work on newer DVD releases" are you having trouble with?

Ok, So what You are saying is no matter whatever I do since the development of DVD Decrypter is stopped Newer DVD releases like in 2011 Movies will not work on, no matter what I do on DVD Decrypter ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All DVD and BD decrypting programs require updates ever 3 months if not monthly at times as new copy prevention methods are constantly been deployed - it's a cat and mouse game. So DVDDecrypter hasn't and can't be updated. So if you have a DVD that has a newer protection protocol you need to use a modern decrypter like has been suggested. However the error message MAY be a permission error. Try running the program under Administrator rights and see what happens. Also what is the region setting of your PC's dvdrom and what is the region of the DVD? Maybe you need to run the free program DVDFab Passkey in the background - this is the modern version of "DVD Region Free" also long since discontinued.

PS there are no settings in DVD Decrypter that will allow you to "update" or get around the problem - get a newer program.
    Also I notice your destination is the root of your C drive, not a good place to save files, choose another drive or a folder in My Documents.
    Last edited by netmask56; 28th Mar 2012 at 06:14.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok Now what is happening is I have tried to Rip the DVD that I want to Rip using DVD Fab when I select the option Main Movie and Then In the Target Drop Down Box just adjacent to it I select the option to create a .iso file but when the entire program runs it does not create one single .iso file of the movie it creates 4 .VOB files and how do I compile them in one single .iso file My Movie is split in to 4 video files. Which I obviously dont want
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Ok, So what You are saying is no matter whatever I do since the development of DVD Decrypter is stopped Newer DVD releases like in 2011 Movies will not work on, no matter what I do on DVD Decrypter ?
    Bad sector copy protection is rarely used outside of the US/Canada, so DVD Decrypter still works on the vast majority of DVDs outside of North America. North American DVDs are hit and miss with DVD Decrypter working on a lot of them. It depends on which studio released the DVD as some studios use bad sector copy protection (they have to pay a licensing fee for the technology so that's why not all studios will do it) and some do not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    it creates 4 .VOB files
    That is a DVD. You gave it a DVD....it gave you a DVD in return:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct

If you want one, giant MPEG2 file you now need to look into VOB2MPEG - it's also free.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    it creates 4 .VOB files
    That is a DVD. You gave it a DVD....it gave you a DVD in return:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct

If you want one, giant MPEG2 file you now need to look into VOB2MPEG - it's also free.
    So is there not any way that I can compile these .VOB files created by DVDFAB in one single .iso kind of file. In that sense DVDDecrypter was much better it would give me one single .iso file which was good to go. is there not cuh option available with DVDFAB.

If I use this VOB2MPEG I believe it will convert my DVD into a MPEG file, Will there be any Quality loss in conversion ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have successfully ripped/copied the DVD to the normal commercial disc DVD format ie an AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder containing VOB files, IFO file and BUP files you could now use DVDShrink to turn the collection into ISO format if that is the format you need. Just go to the open files menu item and then do a backup to ISO (check the dropdown menu)
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Just go to the open files menu item and then do a backup to ISO (check the dropdown menu)
    Do you mean to say in DVD Shrink I go to Open Files Menu Item ? Check the Dropdown where ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What the HELL is so important about an ISO image? What do you need it for?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    What the HELL is so important about an ISO image? What do you need it for?
    Because as far as I know ISO file is the true as original copy of your DVD and I dont want to compress the file for quality loss ! How else can I get a Rip of my DVD so that I can play it on my Mobile, Tablet or whatever device other than the DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    what the hell is so important about an iso image? What do you need it for?
    because as far as i know iso file is the true as original copy of your dvd and i dont want to compress the file for quality loss
    wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by hech54;2151008

because as far as i know iso file is the true as original copy of your dvd and i dont want to compress the file for quality loss [/quote
    wrong.
    Ok would you be kind enough then to enlighten me I want to make a DVD Rip without even 1% of quality loss, so that I can play it anywhere.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest you start reading the instructions for DVD Shrink here is a link http://www.cdrinfo.com/sections/reviews/Print.aspx?ArticleId=8973

On page 5 of this site looking at the first image you will see the words "hard disk folder" this option will make a backup of your DVD in "IFO" format ie VIDEO_TS folder with all the files inside. Regarding Compression or No Compression that is up to you before opening the backup sequence which then presents this page image. To the right of "hard disk folder" there is a little dropdown icon, the blue coloured v. Now for those adventurous souls who are not frighten to try something for themselves, clicking this dropdown item will reveal a number of options like save to ISO, which can be regraded as simply a container containing all those pesky VOB files. Get hold of an ISO file that you already have and open it in WInRar and lo and behold you will see a set of VOB files, IFO files and BUP files.

I find it very difficult as a 74 year old who has had to work these things out for myself that you need to have someone hold your hand. Be bold experiment and try all the menu options of a program instead of asking "what is this? " do it my boy!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok would you be kind enough then to enlighten me I want to make a DVD Rip without even 1% of quality loss
    You already have it.
    Ok Now what is happening is I have tried to Rip the DVD that I want to Rip using DVD Fab ..... it creates 4 .VOB files
    Like I said. An ISO file does not guarantee ZERO quality loss nor does it guarantee a re-compressed, lesser quality result. The final quality is determined by YOU. Even your "obsession" (DVDDecrypter) can and does output what you consider lesser-quality VOB files.
    DVDDecrypter is still a fantastic tool that I use frequently because it can do things that many other tolls cannot do....but DVDDecrypter, DVDfab, DVDShrink can all make exact copies of your DVD, with or without the VOB files/VIDEO_TS folders being placed in an ISO image.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One thing you're also overlooking:

Originally Posted by augustya
    Because as far as I know ISO file is the true as original copy of your DVD and I dont want to compress the file for quality loss ! How else can I get a Rip of my DVD so that I can play it on my Mobile, Tablet or whatever device other than the DVD player.
    You can rip a DVD to a basically exact copy, as an ISO, or VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS set of folders. But can your "Mobile, Tablet or whatever device other than the DVD player" play from either of those formats? Without any hiccups in playback? Can they store those ripped DVD images/folders, which will be an average of 7-8 GB, each?

If not - if they don't play either of the above formats - you'll have to convert to whatever format your "Mobile, Tablet or whatever device other than the DVD player" will actually play. And, yes, that will most likely cause the video to take a hit in quality.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote