VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I am not a techie person. Recently I tried using MeGUI to reencode movies to smaller size for my personal collection.

My MeGUI - AviSynth script creator has problem when video input (avi,mp4,any format) is opened by DirectShowSource.
    It just goes not responding, forever.
    I used a 2050 version before, then updating to 2112. Both show the same error.

I am using Windows 7 x64 & I have installed latest AviSynth as well as K-lite codec both for x86 and x64.

I have tried to reinstall all, it works for once just after that reinstallation.

I have tried to open the same video input in another computer Windows 7 x86, and it works with DirectShowSource.

I try to include all info I can get.

In x86 pc, this shows up whenever I type MeGUI in the start.
    While x64 pc doesnt ever show this.

Please advise as I am really lost.

Greetings,

sUn
    Last edited by darkw1zard; 22nd Mar 2012 at 16:57.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi, I am not a techie person. ... + K-lite codec+ DirectShowSource
    -> bad combo, better use FFMpegSource
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you elaborate more? I think FFMpegSource already there in avisynth plugin, how to use that instead of DirectShowSource?

So lets say instead of k-lite, I use Combined Community Codec Pack will that work? Or maybe shark007's codec?

As I say, I am really a newbie.

Please tell me more plainly on what to install.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just Deinstall K-Lite and select FFMpegSource instead of DirectShowSource to open the video in MeGui, haven't used MeGui for a few years so I'm not sure where you can select the SourceFilter, but I'm pretty sure there is a configuration option for it,...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Usually when you open a file you'll be given a choice to open it using the One Click Encoder, File Indexer, or DirectShowSource (AVISource in the case of AVIs) If you choose the file indexer MeGUI should add an indexing job to the job queue. Run the job and MeGUI should index the file and open the video. It'll probably use FFMpegSource (FFMSIndex) for the job.
    The above is if you try to open the file from the AVIsynth script creator window. If you use File/Open from the main program window, MeGUI should automatically open an an indexing job to add to the queue.

Why you can't open a video via DirectShow I'm not sure. I'm using XP so it may be a Windows 7 problem. I know a lot of people use the Preferred Filter Tweaker for Windows 7. Personally I don't install codec packs. ffdshow on it's own seems to do the job. I also install the Haali Media Splitter and MPC-HC and that's it.

DirectShowSource should be fine for encoding a video from start to finish, but if you want to edit it or encode only parts of it, indexing the file is a better idea.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Why you can't open a video via DirectShow I'm not sure.
    Probably k-lite was not configured properly and messed things up,...

Personally I don't install codec packs. ffdshow on it's own seems to do the job. I also install the Haali Media Splitter and MPC-HC and that's it.
    I agree, personally I use LAVFilters + MPC-HC for decoding on Windows systems.
    Quote Quote  
  7. in MeGUI we can select "Prefer DSS2 over DirectShowSource".
    What does it do?..
    What are the differences?
    And why the width is different when we chose that option...
    Ex: source is 1280, when the option is selected, the width is less than 1280.... DirectShowSource gives exact 1280.
    !?
    Quote Quote  
  8. How are you determining the width? Is it the resolution which changes, or is it the aspect ratio and therefore the resizing? When the width changes to something less than 1280, what does it change to?
    Quote Quote  
  9. it is aspect ratio related... but not only when resizing is selcted...
    I think same thing happen when taking Screenshots, using Haali or madVR renderers in MPC.. The width would be reuced... while EVR like other DS renderers give the original source width... You can check it with MPC, but remember to test with a cropped video...
    Quote Quote  
  10. "Aspect ratio related" could mean anything.

I tried DSS and DSS2 with a few different videos and neither seemed to effect the resolution.
    DSS/DSS2 is best kept as a "when nothing else works" decoding method, unless you specifically want to apply filtering with a DirectShow filter or something similar (ffdshow, for example). It's usually fine as long as you encode a video from start to finish but even more complicated script based filters can cause it to do odd things.
    Quote Quote