VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My purpose in putting iPhone videos into ffmpegx is to reduce their file size, so I can upload them to Facebook
    The problem I'm having though is that "portrait" videos I shot with my iPhone are being flipped onto their side in ffmpegx and coming out as landscape, meaning that everything in the video is now sideways. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I'm using ffmpegx 0.0.9x r2, don't think I can upgrade as I don't have Lion but Snow Leopard.

Any idea why this is happening?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You try something else like handbrake.

But if you have to rotate then try mpeg streamclip(it can rotate when you export) or avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why do I have to rotate it though? It plays normally in quicktime, why is ffmpegx turning it on its side?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hatrickpatrick View Post
    Why do I have to rotate it though? It plays normally in quicktime, why is ffmpegx turning it on its side?
    Most likely, it is QuickTime Player that is rotating the 90° just-in-time, on playback, to intended orientation, by following a rule embedded in the movie file. ffmpegX may possibly ignore this when using a non-QuickTime decoder, as the decoder doesn't understand this transformation instruction.

You could try encoding with ffmpegX to e.g. "h264 x264" and setting "Decode with Quicktime" in the Options tab. I think this would make the encoder interpret the rotation flag to its intended orientation. Untested, as I do not have such files.
    Quote Quote