VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Removed.
    Last edited by jeremyofmany; 26th Jul 2013 at 09:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Similar problem with my Samsung Tv except instead of audio sync my BluRay rips to MKV will just stop abruptly. I restart the video, FF past the failure point and keep watching. Extremely annoying but others have reported it. Trying new ways to get around it with buying another WDTV live box.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Removed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you using at least a *high-speed* USB 2.0 cable? If not, get one from Amazon for about $5 bucks. Wouldn't cost you much to try it.

When I first hooked up an external hard drive to my new TV to play MKVs I made from some of my Blu-rays, the video would get kind of glitchy occasionally. Only on fast-motion, high(er) bitrate scenes. No desync though. This was with an old USB printer cable I had. Replacing it with a good quality cable solved the problem.

As to thumb drives, viewing MKVs from one also plays a bit glitchy at times, same thing, higher bitrate. Which was a surprise to me, as I have newish decent Transcend thumb drives. Mind you, the allowable bitrate for my TV to play H264 from USB drive is 20 mbs, and my MKVs are strictly Level 4.0 and top out at about 15 mbs.

Anyway, it's always a good idea to rule out the easy things first, and cabling is a good place to start. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Removed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It could be that your MKV files have encoding options that are problematic for your player to play. While this does NOT explain the DVD disc problem, please note that playing any hard disk drive via a non-self-powered enclosure is asking for problems. This is such a common issue that I honestly do not own and refuse to buy any enclosures that do not come with their own power supplies. Just not worth the risk. Note too that good media is hard to find and most US/Canadian stores only sell crap media. It could also be that your DVD discs are low quality and this is causing some playback issues. Note that if you burned bad media at the fastest possible setting you are just begging to have playback problems.

For your edification, here's a list of possible playback devices arranged in order from "plays fewest formats, has the most problems" to "plays the most formats, has the fewest problems":
    TV -> Xbox/PS3 -> Roku -> DVD player -> BD player -> streaming media player like Western Digital -> PC
    Anyone who wants to swap the Roku and Xbox/PS3 in my list will get no argument from me.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with your list. The Xbox and Roku have given me more than a fair share of headaches and frustration. My Western Digital WDTV Gen 1 with an enclosured hard drive worked perfectly for years (until DTS came along).
    Quote Quote  
  8. you have to convert the audio from DTS to AC3 and its ok.i was have the same problem and thats because my tv dont play audio DTS
    Quote Quote  
  9. MKV2AC3 its a free tool convert the audio and it will play normally.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I was doing that for a while and it worked fine but it was just one more extra step I didn't want to put up with.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Removed.
    Last edited by jeremyofmany; 26th Jul 2013 at 09:39.
    Quote Quote