VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

How can I transfer a HD recording from this terminal to a PC?

http://www.cdfaudio.com/Videotron.html

Thank you in advance for your advices
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Doubtful.
    Have you tried any of the connections on the unit? Are there any computer-friendly connections on the unit?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Unfortunately, I don't have the device in front of me.. I was asked by a friend of mine
    There is an USB on the front.. and probably a HDMI port on the back..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If this is a cable box it is probably like 95% of most cable boxes....copy protected to hell and back. The only way out is analog, real-time capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is a picture of a Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR. The recordings on a cableDVR's hard drive are encrypted and since it's for a Canadian cable service, it is unlikely that there is any way to transfer the recordings to a computer. In the US, the FCC mandates FireWire (IEEE 1394) connections on HD cable boxes that can sometimes (but not always) be used to transfer recordings during playback, but Canada imposes fewer regulations on cable operators and has no such requirement. There is a USB port in front, but it is reserved for a future use and inactive.

Your only option is to get an HD capture device and re-record while playing the recording. The Hauppauge HD PVR or Hauppauge Colossus can record 1080i, 720p, 480p or 480i from the cable box's analog component video output and stereo or 5.1 audio via optical S/PDIF.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Mar 2012 at 10:54.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you for the infos hech54 and usually_quiet. My friend would have to do with his DVD recorder then..
    Quote Quote