VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everybody!

I'm looking for a video converter, whit which I can convert for example a .mp4 full HD video to MPEG-2, MPEG-4 part 10 (H.264/AVC), VC-1, HEVC (H.265), H.261, H.263. The converter must also be able to change the Frame size, Video bitrate, Video framerate, Audio bitrate, Sample rate and all this staf.

What I want to do:
    For example I have a Full HD video file (mp4) that will serve me as a base quality-point of departure. Now I want to convert this video to thos video codecs above to make same research about the quality (QoS) and all that things. I want to make me an overview of this codecs which has the best quality and to see the different betwev thos. In the future I will implement it in the IMS system

I hope you can help me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A good place to start is <<<---- over there, in the 'Video tools/software and downloads' list.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was hoping that someone could directly tell me which one is the best for doing this. Thanks anyway
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You'll find that unless there's only one tool available there'll be a certain amount of disagreement.

My 2 cents ... avoid stuff that requires 3rd party non Microsoft, assuming you run windows. It's not necessary and those things can really cause conflicts on your system.

Stuff that uses libavcodec, like avidemux or ffmpeg, should work well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the answer is none. there is no h.265 yet, the standard hasn't even been ratified yet. maybe a year before it arrives.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I have decided to use ffmpeg.
    Can someone post me the syntax for the command line how to make this?

1. How to input a .mp4 file,
    2. Change frame size = 640x480,
    3. Video Bitrate = 1024 kbps,
    4. Video Framerate = 25 fps,
    5. Video codec = H.264,

6. Audio Codec = AAC,
    7. Audio Bitrate = 320 kbps,
    8. Sample rate = 44100Hz.

The numbers above are only for example and will be changed during the tests. Can I with ffmpeg convert the .mp4 file to all the above listed video codec excluded the h.265?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The output container should be an .avi file or I don't now something else. It isn't so important.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lusky View Post
    Can I with ffmpeg convert the .mp4 file to all the above listed video codec excluded the h.265?
    Post here all the output from this command:-

Code:
      ffmpeg -codecs
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you please post the whole code (an example) for that what I need?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found it myself.
    ffmpeg -i inputfile.mp4 -f avi -vcodec h264 -r 25 -s 640x480 -b 1024000 -acodec mp3 -ab 320000 -ar 44100 outputfile.avi

When I tipe in ffmpeg -vcodec it say's:
    libavutil 51. 42.100 / 51. 42.100
    libavcodec 54. 12.100 / 54. 12.100
    libavformat 54. 2.100 / 54. 2.100
    libavdevice 53. 4.100 / 53. 4.100
    libavfilter 2. 65.101 / 2. 65.101
    libswscale 2. 1.100 / 2. 1.100
    libswresample 0. 7.100 / 0. 7.100
    libpostproc 52. 0.100 / 52. 0.100
    Missing argument for option 'vcodecs'

What is this?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Missing argument for option 'vcodecs'
    are you use you typed 'vcodec' and not 'vcodecs' like the error message suggests?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In both cases comes the same error. I will try another program like (AVS Video Converter). I don't like the ffmpeg it is to complicated for me.
    Do you know a similar program for that what I want to do?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I frankly do not know a tool that supports all the formats you want,..
    - HEVC (H.265) is not even finished
    - H.261 and H.263 (might be possible through ffmpeg and mencoder) but are so old that nobody should use them nowadays.

I normally encode to MPEG-4 ASP, MPEG-4 AVC or VP8 using Hybrid (tool I myself wrote).
    When I need to create VC-1 Material I normally use the Microsoft Expression Encoder: http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/encoder4_overview.aspx
    For MPEG-2 I would probably use TMGEnc, ProCoder, HCEnc or similar encoders,..

---

btw:
    -vcodecs h264
    is probably not working since there is no encoder named h264 in ffmpeg
    Normally people compile their ffmpeg version with x264 support and use x264 as encoder in ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you 'Selur'. With this post you help me a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone pleas tell me a program for testing the video quality for my codeks. I mean the MOS - Mean Opinion Score test that will go from 1 to 5. Or something else whit which I can show the diference between the original video quality and the compresed video.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suggested ffmpeg because it's a good, widely supported method. If you want something easier try handbrake. It doesn't deal with all codecs, which is one big reason it's relatively easy, but h.264 is the best format out there now.

It makes no sense to me to talk about about a Mean Opinion Score of different codecs. The quality, to a large degree, depends upon how the encoder is used more than the actual codec. Also the input quality. GIGO.

In other words, I've seen very good xvid avis and terrible h.264 mkvs. Some encoding programs are crap and not everyone knows how to use whatever settings that are hopefully there.

However, x.264/h.264 has better compression algorithms and more bells and whistles. It's well supported nowadays, though still better in the mp4 container than mkv. I really don't see any reason to use anything else.

I found a good explanation of various formats recently at the mplayer docs. Try that. The handbrake docs point to them.

Bottom lineis, while newer formats like x.264 are definitely better than xvid or vcd, don't expect the codec to do the work for you. There are a bunch of crap encoders that promise fast encoding and have no decent settings but high quality encoding takes longer. Different types of input (say animation versus film) work better with different settings.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you 'Hoser Rob' for thaht explanation. I have decided to use the AVS Video Converter. It is very good for that what I want and all the video codec are in there, so I have one program for all video codec I need to test excluded the H.261 and the H.265.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys. I have another problem. I couldn't find a good program for measure the video quality for different codecs. Soo I decided to make screenshot and compare the original image with the encodec image. Now I need a program that will compare these two images and give me the picture of differencce. Perfect will be a program that will give me a grayscale image, or a program that will subtract the original image from the encodec image and will then give me the result image. Something in that way soo I can show the differenec between original image and the encodec.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I would use something like:
    source1 = FFVideoSource("Path to 1st source", threads=1)
    source2 = FFVideoSource("Path to 2nd source", threads=1)
    StackHorizontal(source1, StackHorizontal(source2, Subtract(source2, source1)))
    in an avisynth script which I than open in Virtual Dub
    Last edited by Selur; 14th Apr 2012 at 12:30.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    StackHorizontal(source1, StackHorizontal(source2, Subtract(source2-source1))
    You've got a '-' in place of a comma there (presumably a typo subliminally influenced by the 'subtraction' ) and you're missing a closing bracket at the end.
    Also, you can combine the two StackHorizontal's into a single call:
    StackHorizontal(source1, source2, Subtract(source2, source1))

If the differences are slight, you can also increase the contrast by using
    Subtract(source2, source1).Levels(112,1,140, 0,255)
    in place of Subtract(source2,source1)
    Quote Quote  
  21. fixed the typo
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    fixed the typo
    One of them - you're still missing a bracket. Should be
    StackHorizontal(source1, StackHorizontal(source2, Subtract(source2, source1)))
    Quote Quote