VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Everyone,

Basically I have a movie that was previously on two single layer discs but I've joined them together, compiled and I'm ready to burn it - however it is slightly bigger than a dual layer disc so I need to shrink it a little.

The question is what size do I shrink it to in DVD Shrink? It doesn't have a default setting for dual layer discs from what I can see and from past experience the size of the disc in the bar at the top of shrink is never the same as the file that is actually created after the process.

So what I would like to know is what size should I set in shrink to get just under the maximum that will fit onto a Verbatim 8.5 gb DVD+R DL disc?

Last time I did this I set it to 8.5 gb in shrink but the file it created was a lot smaller which I guess means I have compressed it much more than I needed to and as a result lowered the quality more than I had to.

Thanks to anyone who replies in advance!

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Shrink will only burn the amount of data available to it. As long as the slider doesn't turn red your good to go.
    If it burned it a lot smaller, maybe the original didn't contain enough information to fill the disc.
    It wont make the files larger to fill a disc, only smaller to fit a disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm not sure if I explained it fully but the DVD files I have are 8.95 gb at present - too large for a dual layer disc so I am using shrink to reduce them in size so they will fit onto a dual layer disc.

However if I load these into shrink and set the target size at 8.5gb the resulting file is less than 8.5gb.

I want to get the final file size to be as close to 8.5gb as possible so I use the least compression.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ignore me everyone - just figured it out!

In the preferences tab under edit in shrink you can change the media from single layer to dual layer - I'll try that and let shrink pick the compression automatically - that should make it with the least amount of compression.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. If quality is of the utmost importance to you, you also might consider also re-encoding it with a standalone encoder or even DVD Rebuilder with an external, multi-pass encoder versus transcoding it with DVD Shrink which is quite outdated and no longer the preferred method to achieve this. DVD-Shrink may do fine here, given that you aren't shrinking it much, but it may be worth the comparison as it can make a substantial difference in many cases.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Shrink will only burn the amount of data available to it.
    Technically, DVDShrink does not burn....
    It can only use external programs to burn.

Maybe you should actually read the entire OP and understand it before replying.

The OP found out how to make it work to "transcode" it.

And as robjv1 pointed out, if you want the best quality you should use something like DVDRB to re-encode, but with such a small size difference DVDShrink should work fine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Shrink will only burn the amount of data available to it.
    Technically, DVDShrink does not burn....
    It can only use external programs to burn.

Maybe you should actually read the entire OP and understand it before replying.

The OP found out how to make it work to "transcode" it.
    Quite right. I stand corrected.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It should be noted that giving (almost) 100% of the available space of a DL disc to the movie is usually not a good idea, because you will have to put the layer break exactly in the middle of the content of the disc. That position will probably not be a suitable point for the little pause. Furthermore, you will have to create a new cell beginning exactly at that position by splitting an existing chapter in two cells with VobBlanker, and, as far as I know, there is no easy way to tell VobBlanker to split a chapter at a position determined by the file size. (However, IIRC, ImgBurn can force a layer break at any position, even in the middle of a cell, but your DVD will not be standard compliant, and may be rejected by some hardware players.)

It may be better to shrink the DVD to 90 or 95% of the available space, to have a chance to put the layer break at the beginning of an existing chapter.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote