VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I didn’t had luck biding on one Panasonic dmr es15 that the guy was selling it for 8 euros  because “it didn’t read dvd occasionally “ .
    As I said before it is very hard to find quality hi tech in my country. I have 1 dmr es15 and one dmr e55 and both work fine i just wanted another one to use it just as passtrough ( it doesn’t matter if it has broken laser or whatever) and to leave the other two for living room for that matter I’m going fro es10 or es15 to do the job after I didn’t get the es15 I saw yesterday es10 on some shop for old things. The problem is that the dvd unit is powering up I can change inputs without remote ( because the seller doesn’t have one ) but the dvd if you push open its not doing anything and the display is little dim ( which indicates heavy duty working), and i cannot check it on the TV to see if there is any signal. The unit powers up goes trough self check and its there with the clock.

My question is could it be that the unit is working correctly, how to know what to look for ( i need it only as passtrough machine and nothing else but I’m not sure if this is working correctly and I don’t have the chance to test it because the seller sells the merchandise as It is not tested. Also on the unit without the remote i can chose input ( and it goes au 1 to au4 and two dots .. is this tuner mode i don’t need it by the why but just asking)
    And the ask price is 18 euros which I think is little high for untested product should i take the risk.

O also how to know that the tbc is working inside could the tbc be taken out by somebody or its just chip no and could it broken ( the tbc unit) or its less likely
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The TBC is built in and I can't see how you could take it out or use it outside of the unit. Even though you don't have a remote you should be able to use the units CH UP or CH DOWN to cycle thought the various inputs(below the lowest channel or above the highest channel). Also note that one of the remotes from one of your other Panasonics should also control this Panasonic, assuming you've set the remote numbers the same(if not it's easy to change).
    I've never used a ES-10 for passthru but have read it works quite well and you are correct that the DVD burner would not have to work if thats all you'd be using it for. A dim display is a sign of weak capacitors but I have a couple Panasonics with very dim displays that have been working fine for years, just hard to read the display.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The TBC is built in and I can't see how you could take it out or use it outside of the unit
    yes i just disassembly my Panasonic dmr es15 ( which has to be almost same as es10 ) and your are right you cannot take it ( i was afraid that somebody could steel it if the machine was opened because with vcrs I had one in my hand nv hs1000 and the tbc ( its is a board ) was taken off.
    Another thing that concerns me is that the unit dvd drive when you push open button nothing happens ( no error no u-something, ) stays no disk massage, I'm afraid that maybe the button or maybe the board isn't working properly, so you can't use service menu or other stuff on it ( just my thought maybe wrong and the guy says besides dvd drive everything is working). I will try to go with my remote there and test the unit with it. Another thing is that when i push the ch+ ch- on my dvd the channels go from au1 to au4 and after au4 there is numbers from 1 to 99 I guess didn't go that far, but here on this dvd after au1 instead of numbers shows -- and then again au4 and so on, no numbers on the display ( the input of the antenna is on the back, I don't think the tuner was taken out) so what can be then. I don't mind if the dvd is not working but how to recognize if it is more than that if it is capacitors that need replacement then I'm good with solder no problem I can fix that. But is it common that some chip can be failed, or something on the motherboard that is difficult to replace.
    I know that I'm asking allot, but I need this advice to not trough money for nothing and if it is no big of problem machine than i can have es10 just for me and my vhs transfers, and use the es15 for watching and recording tv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I also have picked up 2 of those dmr-es10 recorders here recently.
    Indeed one has a very dimmed display which is almost unreadable at daylight.
    This is a very common Panasonic problem i read, but it has no effect on the functionality of the machine.
    The capacitors all looking fine, first thing i checked after reading all the issues with it.

Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    I will try to go with my remote there and test the unit with it. Another thing is that when i push the ch+ ch- on my dvd the channels go from au1 to au4 and after au4 there is numbers from 1 to 99 I guess didn't go that far, but here on this dvd after au1 instead of numbers shows -- and then again au4 and so on, no numbers on the display ( the input of the antenna is on the back, I don't think the tuner was taken out) so what can be then.
    It will cycle only through the AV inputs because the regular RF channels are not setup or are cleared after very long power off.
    That is how it works here with my Panasonics too.
    Last edited by The_Doman; 21st Mar 2012 at 03:41.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The most common problem with Panasonic DVD Recorders are failed electrolytic capacitors in the power supply section or a failed laser assembly. A failed laser won't effect passthru and as long as the unit powers on and gives no error codes the capacitors should be good enough for passthru.
    When cycling with the CH up button it should start at AU1 then go the next AU# and so on, after the last AU it may go to just numbers which would be any channel numbers that were found during a channel scan. Following the last found channel it should start over at AU1.
    I'm not sure what your trying to accomplish by using the ES-10 for passthru but it will not remove CP(copy protection) like a real TBC, it may steady the signal a bit but not to the point of removing CP.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks guys
    Indeed one has a very dimmed display which is almost unreadbale at daylight.
    Yes i think this is the same,
    It will cycle only through the AV inputs because the regular RF channels are not setup or are cleared after very long power off.
    good thou you sad about the channels been cleared i didn't know that ( because the es15 and e55 that i have and bought, probably came with channels preset by the seller i didn't notice that good point

Then probably the dvd is working correctly only dvd is not working ( why the open button doesn't want to open tray I have heard that dvd recorders have sometimes problems with reading dvds especially finalizing i had similar problem with e55 that some ic has to replaced and i put pc cooler on it because I heard it gets hot allot and never had problem since, but stuck tray looks like some motor or motherboard gone bad right? or Im wrong.

I'm not sure what your trying to accomplish by using the ES-10 for passthru but it will not remove CP(copy protection) like a real TBC, it may steady the signal a bit but not to the point of removing CP.
    My main usage is signal stabilizing no cp is not my concern at all because all the material I have ( and i have allot )are ether recordings from tv programs shows concerts and so on, or home made videos from camera. The main usage will be to steady the signal and i have seen that already on many occasion with es15 which has the same passtrough benefits ( although I heard little more subtle and not so strong as es10 ).

Although somebody says here that older models doesn't have such functionality I can assure you that even e55 has some sort of frame syncroniser passtrough functionality tested ( there is never dropped frames when passing trough dvd recorders both of them in contrast of bare cabling direct vhs or camera to pc card and capturing when on really bad tapes there are even trough ag1980 and similar tbc in vcrs )

I like to capture to pc losless and filter it that way ( even to is much more timeless ) because i convert all my videos to mkv files and wach them on any modern lcd tv with usb in. I dont like DVD much because of their "bulkiness"

As I sad the main "problem" is that the store doesn't allow for testing and I only powered up and didn't showed any error

Is 18 euros around 26 $ for broken es10 in 2012 ok what do you guys think

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. I bought the dvd and fucked up. The unit powers up shows self check starts no dvd in drive ( wich is normal ) and no picture i can enter menu by entering function key on the remote and setup there but no picture from inputs ( any of them au1 to au4) also the tuner search for channels but couldn't find none. I change one capacitor on the power board that was locking horrible ( opened and dried out) 1500mf 16 volts and change it with one 25volts 2200mf was I wrong I think not ( it should be better with bigger capacitor not worse) I also change one on the middle 470mf 16volts with one exactly the same ( the capacitor looked a little chaby fat at the top someway concave while all others are slightly convex or flat ). 3 more near the tv tuner look the same but i didn't change them could be from them?.

So I don't have picture from any input ( i tried it with camera and with vcr s video and video connection and the same ).
    I consider myself little electronic literate but i never suspect5ed this could be some chip gone bad or something

Interesting thing is that dvd is not showing any error ( even in service mode last error code and it says FL00 which is no error shown)

Someone edv or others that have some electronic knowledge what could be wrong with it

A also downloaded the service manual but i don't have the equipment to test the chips on the motherboard

Some suggestions will be very appreciative I'm very frustrated now
    Quote Quote  
  8. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	11580 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0405.JPG
Views:	502
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	11581 the dried out capacitor is the black one the most left one in the upper corner on the power board

The 2 left ones are changed ( the black one is the 2200mf 25volt )the three right marked are suspicious and still not changed

I let the tape run now and i uploaded video sometimes it shows some redis bluish grenish backround of moving picture very pale picture and disappears constantly

I changed the three suspicious capacitors and there is also signal losting periodically and there is some other sort of mush input pictures different colors than before but almost the same anomalies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT5kXmXHfr0&feature=youtu.be

after i changed all the capacitors and power uped the unit now it goes to hello then bye then hello then test av1 and again bye and so on. I returned the capacitors ( the broken ones) and the same thing so its not them
    I measured the power board is ok delivering all the powers that are on the service scheme. the powers on the dvd drive connectors are all there.
    Some interesting test i done is if I take the mpeg board out and take the dvd drive out it shows u99 error which is error between ic timer ( which is mpeg board ) and main microprocessor if i put the mpeg board in without the dvd drive jacked in it goes on the same loop hello buy test av1 and again till i hold power for 5 sec and goes to power off and the clock is showing 00 again.
    I tried the mpeg board from the es15 ( even looks the same as the es10 )and from the e55 the all have the same connectors
    and put it in the main motherboard I get the same exact massage and loop, so i suspect that its not the board but something in front of it but still cannot figure it out.
    Last edited by mammo1789; 26th Mar 2012 at 17:21.
    Quote Quote