VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have connected my handy cam to a DVD recorder that I have using the AV cables. the video quality is not as good as my old analog camcorder when I make a recording. how can I make "direct to DVD live recordings" and get the quality picture I get when I record to the cameras hard drive?? I can record to hard drive on camera and then capture it to my computer and burn HD DVDs that look great. I record our Church services each Sunday and do not want to spend the time capturing and mastering a DVD. Is it possible to record directly to a DVD. We have been using an old analog camera with the s-vid connection and it does better than this camera. I can not figure it out. Thanks for the help.
    Sparkie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no capturing required with that cam, it records files to memory cards. in sd mode it records mpeg-2 you should be able to import and author to dvd without a problem.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    yes I can import and author fine..it just takes a lot of extra time that I would rather not have to spend.. I just figured it would be able to do a live recording..if it will not I will have to buy another camera..importing and authoring every service is going to be way too much effort. I am looking at a Canon XL1S 3CCD. my dvd recorder has a 4 pin firewire HD port. and will connect to this camera fine, I know others who have used these cameras with good success. I just figured this camera should do a good job as it take great video..kinda stupid it will not live record at same quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the specs claim that cam has s-video out, so if the cam is in sd mode it should look fine. i can't think of why it wouldn't.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I assume you are talking about the canon XL1s,. I think it would work good. I found a few on e-bay for around $500. If you would suggest another camera I am open.
    my dvd recorders ( Liteon LVW 5005, I have 2 of them and they have work great) have S-vid input, DV 4 wire fire wire, and RCA inputs. they make great DVDs and CDs, I would be willing to buy another recorder, but I do not want to spend $$$$ I do not need to.
    Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    actually i was referring to the sony. have you tried the other inputs with it? component, svid and composite? but that canon model was a great sd cam. it can still cost $1000 for a decent used one.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    the only outputs I can find is the AV output, HDMI (worthless) , and USB. I have no idea where a S-vid or component outputs would be. I looked pretty good. I read the specs and it does say component and s-vid.. I cannot find any way to hook a s-vid or component cables up. any idea how to do this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    they all plug in the same socket, just with different cables.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-20_103910.png
Views:	808
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	11506
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    ok thanks, I just ordered the s-vid cable. do you think this will provide the quality video recordings I am after?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    s-vid is better than a/v(composite) but not as good as component. make sure the recorder is in it's highest quality mode also.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    my DVD recorder has component video out but not input. it only has s-vid input, the AV input and the 4 wire fire wire input. I will try the s-vid. thanks for your help, you have been very informative.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I just wanted to follow up, I got the s-vid cable. the picture is barely better quality. not hardly enough to even notice. Looks like I will have to get another camera, like the cannon SL1
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sparkiewalt View Post
    my DVD recorder has component video out but not input. it only has s-vid input, the AV input and the 4 wire fire wire input. I will try the s-vid. thanks for your help, you have been very informative.
    You have mentioned that the DVD recorder has a Fire Wire input. Is there a reason why that can't be used for dubbing to DVD?

[Edit] Never mind. For some reason I thought it was a DV camera, but that isn't the case.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Mar 2012 at 01:05.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    that is the very reason I am looking at getting a used canon XL. If anyone has a different camera they would recommend, I would be open to suggestions.
    Quote Quote