VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How can I force ReClock to set every video at 60fps? There is options to set DVD at max of 30fps but in this case I am playing videos through MKV files. I would have guessed someone would ask this question by now but it seems as if I'm the first.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why would you want to play 24/25/30fps video at 60fps?

Reclock works on a "per player" basis. You can set it to run when using media player "A" but not when using media player "B" etc, but it doesn't run or not according to file type. Are you using the same player to play DVDs and MKVs?

Once reclock is running, there's a 2x30fps Media Adaptation option, but of course it'll play 30fps video at twice the original speed and 24/25fps video at even more than 2x.

I suspect from your question you might be thinking reclock will convert video to 60fps by adding extra (interpolated) frames, but if that's correct, it's not what reclock does. It designed to speed video up or slow it down a little to match the screen's refresh rate as best it can (or rather a multiple of the refresh rate).

For instance I live in PAL-land where the screen refresh rate is 50hz, so I use Reclock to speed 24fps video up to 25fps. If I can be bothered, when playing 29.970fps video I switch the TV's refresh rate to 60hz and reclock adjusts the video to around 30fps to match.
    If you're in NTSC-land, unless your TV has a "film mode" where it can run using a higher refresh rate, you're probably stuck with a 60hz refresh rate. You can speed all video up to 30fps but for 24fps video it's a big speed increase. Normally you'd just use reclock to automatically adjust the frame rate of 24fps or 30fps video a little, but it usually only has to make very small adjustments. DVDs can use a 29.970 frame rate, but more often then not they're 23.976 these days. Reclock won't speed 23.976fps DVDs up to 30fps by default because it's too much of a speed increase.

Maybe if you can explain what you're trying to achieve? I assume you're not wanting to watch everything at double it's original speed (or more)?
    Last edited by hello_hello; 8th Apr 2012 at 20:43.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I use an avisynth script to double my framerate. I have my monitor set up at 60hz to 60fps would match it. For every video (digital file such as .mkv) I want to force reclock to always choose 60fps and media adaption to current framerate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Okay, you're outside my own Reclock experience there...... although I'm interested, what's the script you're using to increase the frame rate? I've been thinking of trying the same thing myself although haven't got there yet as I'm planning on a PC upgrade fairly soon so thought I'd wait until I have a faster CPU.

As a quick experiment I just remuxed an MKV using MKVMergeGUI while changing the frame rate to 60fps. While displaying it on my TV using a 60hz refresh rate Reclock did it's thing as expected:
    "NTSC(2x) adaptation: media speed changed to 60.000 fps. Audio resampled at 48000 Hz"
    I tried remuxing to 59fps and Reclock still did it's thing:
    "CUSTOM adaptation: media speed changed to 60.000 fps. Audio resampled at 48330 Hz"

I also tried a basic DirectShow script to open the video while adding AssumeFPS(60) and reclock still worked as expected. Maybe it's because the script you're using is adding frames during playback and Reclock has no way of knowing what's happening? I was simply speeding the video up while testing.

If you're just using Reclock's default settings, when you open a video via your script, what's Reclock actually doing? What does it display as the original video stream's frame rate? If it still thinks the original video is 23.976 or 29.970 fps etc, there may be nothing you can do about it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. you can double the framerate instead of speeding it up.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    when you open a video via your script, what's Reclock actually doing?
    When I launch a video (the script is actually through ffdshow video decoder-avisynth), ReClock cannot sync audio/video and the icon at status bar is yellow. It can only sync correctly (showing green icon) when I choose 60fps from that drop down menu.

(optional) audio is more accurate to my eyes/ears when I change media adaption to "frame rate" which is all the way at the bottom of the other drop down menu.
    Last edited by SoberWarlock; 29th Apr 2012 at 07:16.
    Quote Quote  
  7. So you're opening files via a script to increase the frame rate to 60fps and you're saying ReClock doesn't see the new frame rate? Unfortunately you haven't answered the question as to what frame rate it does see so I'm still not sure what the problem is. The input frame rate drop down field is, I believe, for use if for some reason Reclock gets it wrong, but as such it's not a setting which seems to stick.

Thinking about it though..... does your script increase the frame rate for all video to exactly 60fps or does it increase 23.976 video to 59.940 and 24 fps to 60 etc? Because if it works the latter way (which I suspect it does) it probably doesn't matter if Reclock only sees the original frame rate as I'd imagine it would adjust the playback speed by the same amount as it would if the frame rate was 59.940, so it'll be working fine, only the icon won't turn green. For instance if I play a 23.976 fps video and set the media adaptation to "nearest integer", Reclock offers the following info for different input frame rate options:

Media frame rate auto: Manual override: media speed changed to play at 24 fps. Audio resampled at 48048 Hz (no green icon)
    Media frame rate 23.976: Manual override: media speed changed to play at 24 fps. Audio resampled at 48048 Hz (no green icon)
    Media frame rate 29.970: Manual override: media speed changed to play at 30 fps. Audio resampled at 48048 Hz (green icon)
    Media frame rate 59.940: Manual override: media speed changed to play at 30 fps. Audio resampled at 48048 Hz (green icon)

No matter which option I selected above though, the video seemed to be playing at the same speed each time and given the audio was also resampled the same way I assume it was. Conversely if I set the input frame rate to 30 or 60fps Reclock says it's playing the video at it's original speed with the audio resampled at 48000 Hz. The icon turns green although I doubt the playback speed is being corrected properly because by over-riding the input frame rate I was effectively telling it it didn't need to.

Unless I'm missing the obvious.... as long as the frame rate "post script" is an exact multiple of the original frame rate, and as long as Reclock is getting the original frame rate correct, then the lack of a green icon doesn't matter. In fact if I'm correct about what's happening I strongly suspect selecting 59.940 as the input frame rate won't get you a green icon either, but the playback speed will be adjusted correctly, however if you select 60 as the input frame rate the icon will go green but as I said Reclock won't be adjusting the speed as it should because you've effectively told it the frame rate is already 60fps so it doesn't need to.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Because my Monitor's refresh rate is set at 60Hz anything below 30fps wouldn't sync with ReClock unless I changed my refresh rate to 24Hz.

When playing a 23.97fps video I get best sync with video/audio when I have these settings enabled:

Quote Quote  
  9. What you're describing is what ReClock does. It's designed to adjust the speed slightly to compensate for video card refresh rates, which generally run at 60 Hz for PCs while NTSC TVs are 59.940 Hz. Which is why NTSC video uses a 23.976 frame rate instead of 24. As long as you're running at either 23.976/59.940Hz or 24/60Hz you shouldn't get any tearing or dropped frames, which is the reason for ReClock. You'll have a yellow icon though because NTSC pulldown (repeated frames) still needs to be applied when the refresh rate is 60 Hz. There's nothing you can do about that aside from changing the refresh rate (if possible) to an exact multiple of the frame rate. Reclock doesn't add frames etc, it just changes the playback speed a little. If you want to output "real" 60 fps video then you'd need to open the 23.976 files via your script, which does.
    In my case I use ReClock to speed everything up to 25fps using 50Hz and I have lots of green icons because the refresh rate is an exact multiple of the frame rate.... but not everyone lives in PAL-country and ReClock won't automatically adjust the speed by much more than that annway.

In your above example you basically used the first option to tell ReClock "hey, this video is already 60fps" and the second option to tell it to output 60 fps, so because ReClock knows the refresh rate is 60 Hz you've fooled it into thinking the frame rate and the refresh rate are already an exact match. Hence the green icon, but ReClock states it's playing the video at it's original speed instead of adjusting it. If you change them both to "automatic" I'm pretty sure the icon will go yellow but ReClock will say it's adjusting the playback speed.

On the video/audio sync issues, I think you'll find the reason for the sync being better when you manually set the frame rate to 60 fps is because you've effectively told ReClock not to do anything. On the other hand with the setting on automatic it adjusts the speed and maybe that's where your audio sync issue is coming from.
    Of course that shouldn't happen..... regardless of how much ReClock adjusts the speed it should adjust both audio and video by the same amount. I've not noticed it inducing any audio sync issues when speeding everything up to 25fps (well every so often it starts playing out of sync but stopping and restarting fixes it), but I don't play my video files via a script. If ReClock is adversely effecting the audio sync when playing 23.976 fps video directly, I don't know why it's happening.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 30th Apr 2012 at 12:09.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    If ReClock is adversely effecting the audio sync when playing 23.976 fps video directly, I don't know why it's happening.
    Well if I do set my monitor's framerate to 24Hz using PotPlayer I don't have to do anything to reclock. Automatic for both settings just works flawlessly. My original question though is how do I always 'force' both drop-down menus to choose 60fps/refreshrate all the time when playing any video?

I want to keep my refresh rate at 60Hz. I don't like to fiddle around too much with that as it's a hassle and makes video looks distorted (although the color is WAY more richer) and probably may damage my monitor if not done right.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by SoberWarlock View Post
    Well if I do set my monitor's framerate to 24Hz using PotPlayer I don't have to do anything to reclock. Automatic for both settings just works flawlessly.
    Well unless I'm missing something, automatic should adjust the speed by the same amount regardless of whether the refresh rate is 24Hz or 60Hz. In both cases it should speed 23.976 fps up to 24 fps, so I've no idea why it effects the audio sync one way but not the other. The only difference is the former will give you a green icon because the refresh rate is an exact multiple of the refresh rate, whereas at 60Hz it's not.
    If you're only having audio sync issues when playing video via a script to convert it to 60fps, then that's probably where the audio delay is being introduced.

Originally Posted by SoberWarlock View Post
    My original question though is how do I always 'force' both drop-down menus to choose 60fps/refreshrate all the time when playing any video?
    You can't (well you can lock the media adaptation by checking "locked"), but as I said it'd be pointless, because if you change the media adaptation to the refresh rate ReClock will speed the video up way too much, and if you also over-ride the frame rate by specifying 60fps ReClock won't do anything.

Originally Posted by SoberWarlock View Post
    I want to keep my refresh rate at 60Hz. I don't like to fiddle around too much with that as it's a hassle and makes video looks distorted (although the color is WAY more richer) and probably may damage my monitor if not done right.
    Chances are the color looks richer because the monitor doesn't support 24 Hz at it's native resolution, so when you change to 24 Hz it's lowering the resolution, but that's just a guess, you'd need to look at the manual to see which refresh rate/resolution combinations the monitor supports.
    Quote Quote