VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I cannot use and manipulate flv videos (suchg as those from youtube) in my powerpoint prez.
    I need to convert them to another format - to which video format should i convert them so that i experience minimum loss and whioch tool, is recomended for this conversion
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does it work with mp4?

Then try "remux"(no quality loss) to a mp4 with avidemux, open flv, under video and audio choose copy, under format mp4 and save as new mp4. You could try save as avi in avidemux. If it fails change the video codec to mpeg4 xvid and audio to mp3 and save as avi.

Or use other simple converters like winff, format factory, xmedia recode or freemake video converter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A simple, free, tool to download and convert in one go:

http://www.clone2go.com/products/freevideo.php

It has a simple interface: converts to mpeg1, mpeg2, flv and avi. Downloads both flv and mp4 HD
    I wouldn't use it for long conversions but for clips from Youtube it works just fine.
    Use a bitrate of 1500 to 2000 but DON'T use AC3 for sound as it has a bug. MP3 and MP2 work well at 192 kps.

I took a look under the hood and it's a front end for ffmpeg and MenCoder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can use MKVs, try MKVmergegui.
    Will just remux to the MKV container without reencoding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd use avidemux, winff or vidcoder myself if you can't record the stream in mp4 format, which would be ideal. Would not recommend freemake ... it uses weird codecs and wouldn't uninstall properly from my older laptop. It ain't going near my newer one.

Quality? I've downloaded a number of videos from youtube, all music I can't get anywhere else. The quality isn't that great to begin with.

I always recommend 2 pass conversion but for youtube video I'll be willing to make an exception. The input is the limiting factor, almost certainly.
    Quote Quote