VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I want two things:

1) a web browser on my 47" LG LCD TV. I want to be able to go to certain TV websites to watch shows/video clips, such as:

* Natgeotv
    * HGTV
    * BYUTV

2) a way to watch Amazon *PRIME* Instant Video on my TV

I have a TiVo HD already for Netflix, Amazon Instant Video (although I also want PRIME video access which TiVo doesn't yet support), Pandora, etc. So...the solutions I can think of are:

1) get an HTPC or Nettop like an Acer AspireRevo with HDMI video card and wifi card. (This is the simplest but not the cheapest solution.)
    2) get a Roku (great to give me Amazon Prime video, but no web browser)
    3) get a Google-TV or other web console (Sony or Logitech...great for web & widgets/apps, will it allow Amazon Prime video?)
    4) Some weird combination of the above options.

Any advice is much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by sludgepickle View Post
    1) get an HTPC or Nettop like an Acer AspireRevo with HDMI video card and wifi card. (This is the simplest but not the cheapest solution.)
    That's the only all-in-one solution, you can get a refurb desktop or laptop with HDMI for <$400USD. Get a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and you are set.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A used PC that is a couple of years old will be more capable than a nettop. Nettops, particularly those using AMD's APUS do a good job when the GPU can do all the work of decoding video. However they have difficulty with video in situations where the CPU must do much of the work. Reading reviews, some situations where problems reportedly crop up are: when VLC is used as a media player (because it uses its own internal codecs), when watching HD Netflix (because of Silverlight), and when watching (high-def?) Flash video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use an HTPC, anything else is bound to be, well, not as capable.

Nevertheless, my new LG 65LW6500 has "Smart TV". And my LG 670 3D Blu-Ray player has it as well. All I know about Smart TV is that it has a browser and one can access online content. I confess I haven't used it *at all*. See above.

Maybe a Blu-ray player with Smart TV would do what you want. Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-BD670-Wireless-Network-Blu-ray/dp/B004OF9XGO/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&...2027246&sr=1-1

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Connect computer to TV.
    Quote Quote