VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hey there!

i need to be able to edit clips from movies in Premiere. so i need to convert the movie into a file format that Premiere understands. what software is best for converting the movie? i know that i could google this but i get guides that are 5 years old. i need software that uses ripping tech of this year im a pc user. thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. For Blu-rays convert using BDRebuilder. Open the resulting folder and edit the M2TS file.
    For DVD use VOBMerge (set to 'Merge as MPEG')

Some discs will have sync issues. It's inevitable check the help section for solutions.

If its a protected disk, use AnyDVD.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 16th Mar 2012 at 17:22.
    Quote Quote  
  3. bdrebuilder will re-encode the video, causing uncessary quality loss and wasting a few hours

Premiere will import mpeg2 dvd natively once it's ripped to disk with anydvd or dvdfab . Sometimes it has problems with vob, then use vob2mpg (just rewraps into mpeg2 program stream, no re-encoding) .

It will import 2 out of 3 types of blu-ray .m2ts streams natively as well (MPEG2 and h.264). VC-1 is the only one that needs to be converted. But even then I would use a lossless format instead of bdrebuilder
    Quote Quote  
  4. Part of the OP question was 'what software is best for converting the movie?'.
    BDRebuilder can be set to the original size, ie, lossless, under 'custom size'.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Part of the OP question was 'what software is best for converting the movie?'.
    BDRebuilder can be set to the original size, ie, lossless, under 'custom size'.
    Then why use BDRebuilder at all? What am I missing?

Transferring to HDD from the blu-ray will already have the folder structure and .m2ts files

I though setting the same size will just re-encode the video to the same size, not allow for pass through ? (ie. copy the streams).

The only one that needs to be converted are those increasingly rare VC-1 titles, and you can't use "lossless" compression for BDRB in that case - or are you saying it's capable of using something like lagarith, huffyuv , etc...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm not saying anything of the sort.
    OP says he was editing clips and wanted to convert. I compress from scratch and edit later.
    I get a smaller file size that I can edit faster. I agree with you completely if it was for archiving the movie.
    Quote Quote