VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,
    I have a BD-D5500 BR player and a 500gig seagate, (ntfs) hdd...

When I connect 16gig memory stick to BD-D5500 it OK but when it comes to hdd, BR player does not recognize it.

Anyone has any idea?

maybe any other models's firmware??

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it can't read ntfs, re-format to fat32.
    Last edited by aedipuss; 13th Mar 2012 at 16:03.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Notes on the USB connection
    • Your player supports USB storage media, MP3 players, digital cameras, and USB card readers.
    • The player does not support folder or file names longer than 128 characters.
    • Some USB/digital camera devices may not be compatible with the player.
    • Your player supports the FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS files systems.
    • Connect USB devices directly to the player’s USB port. Connecting through a USB cable may cause
    compatibility problems.
    • Inserting more than one memory device into a multi-card reader may cause the reader to operate
    improperly.
    • The player does not support the PTP protocol.
    • Do not disconnect a USB device during a “loading” process.
    • The bigger the image resolution, the longer the image takes to display.
    • This player cannot play MP3 files with DRM (Digital Rights Management) downloaded from commercial
    sites.
    • Your player only supports the video that is under 30fps (frame rate).
    • Your player only supports USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) devices. Examples of MSC are Thumb
    drives and USB HDD. (HUB is not supported.)
    • A Certain USB HDD Device, multi-card reader and Thumb drives may not be compatible with this
    product.
    • If some devices require excessive power, USB device may be limited by the circuit safety device.
    • If the device is disconnected or playback is unstable during contents playback from USB HDD, please
    supply the power.
    If the problem still occurs, contact the USB HDD manufacturer.
    • You must remove the USB storage device safely (by performing the “Safely Remove USB” function) in
    order to prevent a possible damage to the USB memory.
    Press the MENU button to move to the home menu, and select the YELLOW (C) button and press the
    ENTER button.
    • SAMSUNG is not responsible for any data file damage or data loss.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is the drive in a powered enclosure? The USB ports that come with most media players and DVD/BD players aren't capable of providing enough power for some types of enclosures. Switching to a powered enclosure has solved this problem for a lot of people. (This issue is alluded to in hech54's post although the "require excessive power" reference is poorly stated by the manufacturer. They should just say "powered enclosures work best".)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    it can't read ntfs, re-format to fat32.
    sure?
    but it DOES recognize 16gb ntfs usb stick??
    Last edited by tanerf82; 13th Mar 2012 at 17:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    usb sticks default to fat/32 - did you change it?

ntfs is the problem for others with that player. it popped up with a quick google.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    usb sticks default to fat/32 - did you change it?

ntfs is the problem for others with that player. it popped up with a quick google.
    usb stick WAS fat32 but i converted it to ntfs i order to copy 4gb+ mkv's in it... and ntfs partitioned stick works perfect on my bd-d5500
    i just re-format the stick to fat32 and it also works...

i have created a new fat32 partition on my hdd and it didnot work.

so usb stick both works with fat32 and ntfs,
    but hdd does not work with both.

but when i google this issue some people says "it works with ntfs" some says "fat32"..

i really need to make it work with ntfs...

also my hdd doesnt have extra power cord, it gets power from usb.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jman98 addressed that. get a self powered enclosure with an ac adapter.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i'll try it with my friend's hdd and inform tomorrow.
    thanks alot.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    thanks all.. today i tried it with an external powered hdd (ntfs) it worked fine.

thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Anonymous8443434
    Removed.
    Last edited by Anonymous8443434; 26th Jul 2013 at 08:41.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ok this is interesting I have just bought this player and although it does recognise the HDD and will play the files the sound goes up and down after a while....what is strange is is also happens if I go from the PC to the TV as well...so I have a feeling it may be the NTFS problem even though it says it can read them...btw I have 2 version of the same drive ie both Western Digital but one is 500gb USB only and one 1TB with power cord....mmmm this has given me a lot to think about....might have to do some playing....

Kriss
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dankriss
    although it does recognise the HDD and will play the files the sound goes up and down after a while.
    If you read the post right before yours jeremyofmany states that a high bitrate may be to blame for synch issues in your situation.

I don't have the player myself to confirm but I'd do some test encoding to see if you can replicate this possibility.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Saw that...BUT they did play ok with my Sony blu ray so hoping it is just a FAT problem....

Keeping everything crossed...

Kriss
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok still have sound problems but these are with MKV files that are under 1GB....will do a bit more research...

Kriss
    Quote Quote  
  16. Oh btw in my manual is says that is does not support HDD's....so maybe I have newer version where they have discovered that they don't work...damn!

Kriss
    Quote Quote  
  17. Ok first thing a bit of an oops....just noticed that my player is a BD-5300 but I may of solved things....

Just changed from MKV to AVI and it is working perfectly so far! and off of the HDD as well!

All I can say is try changing files to AVI and see what happens...this is only in normal and not HD version as mine are normal in the first place so no problems for me personally.

Keep everything crossed now as I go and change nearly 200 files over to AVI :S

Kriss
    Quote Quote