VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi !
    I have a question about picture settings in handbrake and vidcoder. I have ripped an bluray disc to mkv (I used makeMKV). I wanted to convert to h264 and opend the mkv file in handbreake and the input picture size says 1920x1080 full hd, I have read some where that if you are encoding HD material you should always keep anamorpic settings to STRICT. But then in output format it only says 1916 x 1078. Since when did 1916 x 1078 become full hd ? The same happend when I tried it out in Vidcoder as well.

Why doesn't Handbreake and vidcoder support 1920x1080 in output picture size ? Why do it cut of 6 pixels ? Is there any other recomended encoder programs out there which support 1920x1080p output format ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try change the Cropping to Custom(instead of Automatic) and set everything to 0. It's located under the video size settings in handbrake and vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Try change the Cropping to Custom(instead of Automatic) and set everything to 0. It's located under the video size settings in handbrake and vidcoder.
    Yes, now it says 1920 x 1080
    Thanks for the answer
    Quote Quote  
  4. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    Check this from: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/AnamorphicGuide#strict

The downside of strict anamorphic

Strict anamorphic concentrates on one thing and one thing only: preserving the exact visible frame of a DVD, displayed to exactly the same size as it would be from the DVD.
    This means it will sometimes use odd dimensions, ones that don't divide cleanly by 16. When this happens, the video encoders cannot work as efficiently — x264 warns that "compression will suffer."
    It also means that, when using strict anamorphic, it is impossible to change the stored size of the encoded frame. It will simply use the exact frame size of the DVD and apply cropping.
    Loose anamorphic

Loose anamorphic starts off the same way as strict -- with the exact visible frame on the DVD. But then it adjusts the dimensions to be sure they divide cleanly by 16. After that, it adjusts the display size so the film's aspect ratio is preserved with the new dimensions.
    You can also scale the width of the storage frame, using loose anamorphic. For example, the full-sized storage frame has a width of 720. You could scale that down to 640. HandBrake will automatically keep the aspect ratio of the storage frame. So as the full-sized is 720*480 (a 1.5:1 aspect ratio), a scaled down one would be 640*432 (as close as one can get to 1.5:1 while keeping dimensions that divide cleanly by 16). HandBrake will then calculate the proper display size for that scaled frame, one which preserves the source's film aspect ratio.
    There are some other minor differences in the output of loose versus strict, but they are nerdy. Only the curious and sleepless need bother reading about them in the ITU appendix.
    Quote Quote