VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I would like to share my camcorder video (AVCHD, mts) with my family, so I thought I could convert to mkv or avi.

any recommendation? I can't find a guide.

Thanks
    vince
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Upload to youtube and make it private.

Or convert with vidcoder, freemake video converter, handbrake. Open the mts and convert to mkv with h264 video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What would your family be playing the video back on, a DVD player, a Blu-ray player or a computer? That would determine the format you would want to use. DVD format would have to be downsized and converted to MPEG. For BD players or PCs, you probably wouldn't need an conversion, just repackaging, if you want to keep the same quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    What would your family be playing the video back on, a DVD player, a Blu-ray player or a computer? That would determine the format you would want to use. DVD format would have to be downsized and converted to MPEG. For BD players or PCs, you probably wouldn't need an conversion, just repackaging, if you want to keep the same quality.
    good point: computer.

I need some compression as I'll send files via email.

thanks
    vince
    Quote Quote  
  5. aiseesoft MTS converter is doing a good job, but it's not free.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Avidemux version 2.6
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    hej redwuds

You wrote

For BD players or PCs, you probably wouldn't need an conversion, just repackaging, if you want to keep the same quality.

So my question is, what repackaging programs do i need so i do not lose quality on my mkv? (I want to make AVCHD to mkv so i can play it on my blu ray player).

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Shouldn't a BluRay player normally play AVCHD? Mine plays almost everything under the sun including AVCHD and just about anything in a Mkv container (It even bit streams DTS-HD, probably just the core but still interesting, also plays TrueHD without a core). As for emailing a video, woah I want your email service with all that space! Upload it to YouTube in HD format and have it as "unlisted" which means no one can see it without a direct hyper link.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I've tried to burn an AVCHD file to a blu-ray disc but it will not play it on my Samsung BD C5900 Player.

nateo200 Do you have a sony blu-ray player?

I have recorded my AVCHD files with a Sony HDR-SR12E and Sony DSC-WX7.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by mrbas View Post
    I've tried to burn an AVCHD file to a blu-ray disc but it will not play it on my Samsung BD C5900 Player.

nateo200 Do you have a sony blu-ray player?

I have recorded my AVCHD files with a Sony HDR-SR12E and Sony DSC-WX7.
    I have a Samsung BluRay player as well...let me check the model and Ill get back to you by editing my post. Not home right now but I might have a manual for it on my MacBook..
    Quote Quote