VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've just discovered this forum and wow it's vast - I've been googling the player for days. I realise that the player in the title is an oldie and that's why I think someone here will be able to help.

I got one used and was hoping to clean it up for my brother but I've run into problems with connections.

I have it connected to the TV via the S-Video (2). Once it loads in NTSC mode the picture will start flickering and I get 1/2 pages and everything is in B/W. I've had it connected thru CBSV (YRW RCA) and the same thing happens. For some reason the HDMI will not work.

Now, here's the funny thing, if I press the N/P and change it to PAL it stops flickering and plays but in B/W. Yes, the DVD is Region 1 and the same thing happens using the USB.

I am in Canada and the machine is set for NTSC and Region 1 as is the DVD.

Any ideas what might be happening? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So is the DVD NTSC or PAL?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Both the DVD player and disc are NTSC
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are in Canada that should not be any problem at all. Normally a player with an N/P button does mean NTSC or PAL so the normal "N" should be it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Perhaps you're misunderstanding the question.

I understand the N/P button but the question is
    1. Why with a NTSC player and disc, would the video stop acting-up on PAL mode.
    2. Why is the video breaking-up on N

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Either this player is broken, or it's not an NTSC player, or the disc is NOT what it says it is. My old JVC player with an N/P button converted between the two formats on the fly as long as the disc was region free(there was no hack for the machine).
    There are many variables involved here....either way a true NTSC disc should not play in B&W on NTSC equipment.

Let's forget about the N/P button....assume your player does not even have it.
    A PAL DVD will show up as B&W(if it is even watchable) on NTSC equipment.
    I can make you a Region 1 - PAL DVD and it will react the same exact way.
    Are you sure that disc is NTSC?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Likewise, let's forget the disc didn't exist. I get the same reaction from reading an AVI file on the USB port.

Thanks for the patience Hech.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by WapGiovan View Post
    Likewise, let's forget the disc didn't exist. I get the same reaction from reading an AVI file on the USB port.

Thanks for the patience Hech.
    ALL of your AVI files or just a few?
    Same with your other NTSC DVDs. If this is the only disc giving you problems then the disc is not what it says it is.
    Region Codes and Video Format(NTSC & PAL) have NOTHING to do with each other.
    The only way to be sure is to open that disc in DVDDecrypter, it will tell you if it is region codes and whether it is NTSC or PAL.
    If I recall correctly....even an "AVI File" made from a PAL source(framerate and dimensions) will give some players fits.
    AVI Files can also contain a video codec not supported by your player.....not all "AVI Files" are the same.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WapGiovan View Post
    I got one used and was hoping to clean it up for my brother but I've run into problems with connections.
    I'm wondering if the seller knowingly sold you a defective product. It happens. That's why I don't buy used electronics.
    Quote Quote