VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to get an extra fan to supplement the existing stock fan but I don't know if I actually need one. Still, I'm looking for a fan that has a noise level of 25dba or less at its lowest setting and 82.9 CFM or higher at its highest setting. My overall usage will be applications on a overclocked and (possibly) unlocked system in an Antec 300 Illusion case with stock fans.

Here are a couple fans I'm looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200021

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106153

Are any of them good and do I use them as push or pull?
    "A computer is never finished, you just run out of money."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not sure you can add another fan. it uses a special mounting bracket. if you did add another you would make the airflow go in the same direction as the first fan.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Unless you're seriously overclocking you don't need a second fan on that CPU cooler.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Unless you're seriously overclocking you don't need a second fan on that CPU cooler.
    Yes, it's a good CPU cooler. I have the same one myself. But when one overclocks doesn't one want to push it to the limit? I know I do. I also have a second fan on mine. It's a cheaper single-speed Rosewill model with 29.28 dBA and pushing 74.48 CFM. I'm pleased with the push/pull arrangement of the two fans.

Both fans about which Stealth3si is asking are good, I'm sure. I don't see the need for paying extra for one with an LED if you can't see into the case. But fans are cheap.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a hyper 212 plus...basically the same thing....i have 2 fans on mine and it helps...i dont even O'clock and it helps with temps..you dont need any special fan...only requirement is a PWM model....i have 2 stock cooler masters on mine (PWM) and the can max out to 2000rpm's...of course they never get close to that...mine never goes past 39c
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey look i found an 212 evo oem fan - $6.99

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/hyper-212-evo-120mm-fan-oem-package/

but after shipping kind of kills it.

i dunno should I buy it?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have 2 of these and connect them to this so the MB can still control the speeds
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've decided to buy the CM blademasters. It is PWM and has same RPM ratio (600-2000) as the stock EVO fan and higher max static air pressure for EVO cooling (3.90 mmH2O) yet slightly lower CFM @ slightly higher dBA for less than $10.

Now, I have a 120mm Tricool exhaust case fan that is around 60-92mm away from the EVO and i also have a 140mm exhaust fan on top of the case above the CPU. I want to know if it is better to:

1. simply replace the stock EVO fan with the blademaster fan as push and allow the air to flow out of the case through the exhaust fan.

Or

2. Pair the blademaster (as push) with the EVO stock fan (as pull) only if there would be a temp improvement as opposed to using only one fan as push.

OR

3. if 2 is better then buy two blademasters to push/pull the EVO.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Stealth3si; 14th Mar 2012 at 16:23.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've decided to buy the CM blademasters. It is PWM and has same RPM ratio (600-2000) as the stock EVO fan and higher max static air pressure for EVO cooling (3.90 mmH2O) yet slightly lower CFM @ slightly higher dBA for less than $10.
    Why do you think that you need pwm cooler I have cooler master haf 922 with hyper + push pull combination. MY pc has 8 fans and all are connected to the motherboard and have very useful and lovely program called speedfan which can control any 3 wire fan on almost any type of motherboard automatic depended of the temp or manual
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why do you think that you need pwm cooler I have cooler master haf 922 with hyper + push pull combination. MY pc has 8 fans and all are connected to the motherboard and have very useful and lovely program called speedfan which can control any 3 wire fan on almost any type of motherboard automatic depended of the temp or manual
    Simple...PWM you don't need speedfan...the MB does it for you...he has antec tri-cool fans (tri cools have a 3 speed switch on them so you can choose which speed you want to use...low, medium and high)...no need for software to do it
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Speaking of PWM I just got a PWM splitter in the mail today. It's from OKgear and has four pins on each female connector. I'm using two Blademasters so do I need to remove pin 3 to get proper reading from the mobo?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Simple...PWM you don't need speedfan...the MB does it for you...he has antec tri-cool fans (tri cools have a 3 speed switch on them so you can choose which speed you want to use...low, medium and high)...no need for software to do it
    I wouldn't agree with mb setting is all automatic or very limited manual with speed fan you can manually set every fan in newer version even from graphic card ( mine is ati 5870 ) and some motherboards mine is (Asus ROG maximus formula x38 ) has very limited fan control like 60 -100 % in 10 % steps and not all ( only one if i think has 4 pin sockets and rest of it is 3) in speed fan i can change by 1% and its free and very flexible try it you will love it. Many PWM 4 wire fans have problems with many hardware or software fan controllers and some motherboards. Its very simple to control the fan speed by current voltage in stead by separate wire.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to get an idea of how much more I would have to spend to buy a HS (minus the stock fans) thick enough to take advantage of a dual fan push/pull configuration to produce a significant temperature drop, i.e., 5-6c or more(?).

The EVO costed me $21. I'm willing to spend around $20-$30 more ($40-$50 total) for a more efficient HS minus the stock fans it comes with, since I'd be cooling it with a pair of Blademasters.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no issues with PWM with my Gigabyte boards. Always spin up when the processor is taxed.

Depends on what processor you have and if you decide to overclock it. If you leave it alone and don't mess with it, the Hyper 212 Plus is just fine in push/pull config. Mine works fine. In winter months it stays around 35 to 39c. In summer months it hovers around 41 to 42c...never above. Ypou don't need to spend gobs of money to cool a processor. That's why the hyper 212 is so popular...it works well.
    Quote Quote