VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!!

I have a few audiobooks that are in .mp3 format. These files are small enough but when I try to convert them in windows to audio cd format they are too large to fit(as most audio cds are between 6-10 audio cds if purchased as such) so it will not break the .mp3 I load into multiple cds...or at least i haven't figured out how yet. So that is waht I am looking for. A program that will allow me to split an .mp3 into pieces that will then convert each piece onto an audio cd for play in cd player.

Can anyone help and am I making enough sense on this? This is for my grandparents for when they drive they can just plop the cd in the car and go. They are not tech savvy and in this area I am pretty new myself..so any simple or relatively easy to navigate program will be great!!

It can either be freeware or retail that is not an issue.

And if it could the same perhaps with .mp4 ?? I got one thru itunes that came that way lol

Thanks in advance for your help
    Last edited by Baldrick; 10th Mar 2012 at 18:38. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I changed the thread title so it actually says something about your thread. You can adjust it by clicking on the edit button and advanced.

Maybe you can split with mp3directcut.

Or maybe there are some mp3 to audio cd converters that does everything automatically. But I haven't burned an audio cd in 10 years now...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe use audacity and cut it every 70 min or so. you will need to listen to it and cut it at appropriate places.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andrekb View Post
    ... So that is waht I am looking for. A program that will allow me to split an .mp3 into pieces...
    Hi
    To cut mp3 files mp3DirectCut is OK.
    From here ---> http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

that will then convert each piece onto an audio cd for play in cd player.
    If you intend to make "Audio CDs" you would need to split the mp3 files into 74 minute (or less) sections.
    Then you would use other software to convert the sections and burn them to discs.

And if it could the same perhaps with .mp4 ??
    This is more difficult.
    Probably would be OK to convert the mp4 to mp3, then use mp3DirectCut method.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use mp3directcut to shorten the long single file audiobooks. It's the way to go. No re-encoding of the audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used MP3DirectCut and set it to autochapter at 6 minute intervals when I had audio books. That way the chapter numbers represented hours and tenths of an hour. I was putting them on MP3 data CDs though because my car could play MP3.

PS: I used TotalRecorder in accelerated mode to change the Audible format to MP3. On my old single core Athlon I got around 8X to 10X encoding speed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone help and am I making enough sense on this? This is for my grandparents for when they drive they can just plop the cd in the car and go.
    First thing to do is check out if their CD player can play MP3s.
    Many can, and if so you can just copy all the MP3s to one data CD.

If not, you have to make audio CDs.
    1) cut the MP3 into 3 parrts, each no longer than 74 minutes.
    Use MP3DirectCut to edit the MP3.

2) Convert and burn each MP3 to an audio CD.
    You can do this with, eg, ImgBurn: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=5555
    Quote Quote