VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. when i use freemake video converter to convert a mp4 to an mkv using the setting same as source the resulting files is sometimes loads bigger and also the kbps is a lot larger on the mkv file even though the setting is the same as source
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you really have to reconvert? You might be able to "remux" the mp4 to a mkv without reconverting using mkvtoolnix / mkvmergegui.
    Quote Quote  
  3. hi,ive tried this but mkvtoolnix crashes windows 7 exploror on my pc
    ive tried this on my sons laptop but the resulting mkv seems a bit jerky compaired to the mp4
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Crashes? When you start it or when you start multiplexing?

You could also try remux with avidemux, open video and under video and audio choose copy, save as mkv.

Or with ffmpeg, "ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -acodec copy -vcodec copy video.mkv" or with a gui for ffmpeg like winff see https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/343895-Pass-Thru-presets-for-WinFF
    Quote Quote  
  5. hi,no when i try to acces the file ceated explorer crashes
    also ive tried avisemux and that produces very choppy video
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Explorer probably crashes because of the thumbnail/preview, try disable it. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-thumbnail-previews-in-windows-vista-explorer/

But if you still want to reconvert try another converter than freemake, like the very good handbrake or vidcoder. Adjust the bitrate under the video tab.
    Quote Quote  
  7. hi,thanks for the answers
    do i adjust the bit rate in freemake to match the original mp4 then?as if i select same as source the bit rate is usually higher
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, adjust the bitrate to same as the source in freemake. I thought you already did that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. would that make the mkv the same quality more or less as the original mp4
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, more or less.

But it's much better if you would be able to remux the mp4 to a mkv with the above tools. No quality loss at all if it works then.
    Quote Quote  
  11. i think ill stick with freemake as it runs flawleesly and only takes about 30mins to convert a 720p movie, ill just change the bit rate to match the original mp4
    thanks for the all the help and advise
    Quote Quote  
  12. ive just downloaded the latest version of mkvtoolnix and this now runs without crashing explorer!!
    the problem now is when i remux a mp4 to a mkv the resulting video freezes about 5 to 10 mins into the film but the sound keeps playing ok
    is there any settings on mkvtoolnix that i need to change to stop this
    thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What do you play with? Software player or standalone media player?
    Quote Quote  
  14. panasonic dmp-bdt110 bluray player
    mkv to mp4 using freemaker video converter work fine on the panny
    Last edited by rushy7; 12th Mar 2012 at 13:24.
    Quote Quote