VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    That's the question. Is there a Linux that installs new programs like Windows,no consoles.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Nope.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    That's the question. Is there a Linux that installs new programs like Windows,no consoles.
    Many.
    Ubuntu is the most popular.

Comes with a load of apps and the "application lens" for finding and installing others.

http://static.arstechnica.com/u1104review/applenscombo.png
    Last edited by Baldrick; 8th Mar 2012 at 04:11. Reason: Image tooo wide
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would recommend PCLinuxOS - the KDE version.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Linux Mint is easy to use
    http://www.linuxmint.com/
    Hubba hubba zoot zoot.......... :)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Don't listen to them, wulf109. There is NO Linux distro that installs apps as easily as in a WIndows environment. I'm not saying it is a difficult & convoluted process, but the answer to your question is "No".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For pre-packaged application installation, the Ubuntu Software Center is easy to use and well organized.

Not saying that other tasks won't take some relearning. Give it a try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ubuntu.png
Views:	229
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	11354

http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/features/ubuntu-software-centre
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chowmein View Post
    Don't listen to them, wulf109. There is NO Linux distro that installs apps as easily as in a WIndows environment. I'm not saying it is a difficult & convoluted process, but the answer to your question is "No".
    ? A huge amount of work has gone into making Linux desktops more user friendly in recent years. Meanwhile Windows has had to try to lock down the process due to the number of trojans, viruses and malware that infest Windows software.

In any case, installing software isn't something you do that often, after the first week. There are more important factors.
    There are many Linux forums that will give advice on specific issues.
    Quote Quote  
  9. As long as it's in the repos, installing software on linux is far easier than Windows. You pick what you want, click install and ti all happens pretty quickly in the background. You seldom have to restart the computer either to use the software. If it isn't in the repos you may have some issues figuring out how to install it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. OK, well maybe I was being a bit harsh. My experience of Linux a couple of years ago was atrocious. I gave it a real good go. I was spending weeks trying to learn it & trawling forums & stuff, trying to get my audio & graphics working properly, trying to install Linux software & drivers etc - valuable time I could have put to more constructive uses in Windows (IMO). To the OP, by all means, try it out yourself. That's probably the best advice. Ubuntu & Linux Mint may well have improved.

But, I mean, taking the OP's opening post literally, I still suggest the answer is "no". Just look at (for instance) the Blender install pages. For Windows build, you just download the exe & double-click to install, or download the zip & unzip. For Linux builds - this and this. Pages of stuff! Dependencies, command lines (or "terminals" wtf)...
    sudo apt-get install build-essential svn-buildpackage scons libopenal-dev libalut-dev \ libsdl1.2-dev ftgl-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg62-dev libtiff4-dev libopenexr-dev \ libnspr4-dev libglut3-dev python2.5-dev libxmu-dev libarts1-dev \ libsmpeg-dev arts libxi-dev gettext

And yes (previous post) if it's in the repos "maybe" it's easier to install. Easier than Windows though? I think that's exaggerating a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My company installed Ubuntu for the "Windows weenies" in our company and they were able to come to grips with it pretty quickly. But do note that if you want Linux for more than just web surfing and reading email, such as perhaps wanting to do video work in it, you're going to learn like Mac users do that everything is easier in Windows and you have more choices in Windows too. Installing Blender on Linux is not a newbie friendly task. Again, if you want to do serious video work you really need Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I agree, when I tried Linux Mint I was surfing the net in no time. Had no sound, though. And couldn't do much else with the stupid thing LOL.

EDIT: I should make a concession here. I remember 10-12 years ago getting my first PC, and coming to terms with Windows over long months. But the point is, I am fluent in Windows now, so why put all that hard slog again into a new OS?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Bodhi Linux used to be somewhat modular, you could choose the software pack you wanted, download it and install it kinda like you'd do with windows. The latest version has switched to the app center paradigm; is it because it's based on Ubuntu, I don't know. I'd say the app center thing is much easier to deal with, everything in one place, always compatible and easier to figure out what that app does, thanks to it's description.

As for hardware support, it's never been better; even back with Ubuntu 9, there was a function in the system menu to get third party drivers. You'd just click it and Ubuntu would analyse your hardware and download the drivers for you.

The only problem was having common enough hardware to load Ubuntu in the first place (not really a problem if you stay away from weird crap like the stuff from Diamond).

It doesn't matter whether you're using windows, osx or linux, when you're doing something on a computer you're doing it through software. Whether you browse the web with firefox or explorer you still have the same buttons, address bar... you only have to recognize the similarities. If you have no software installed on your PC other than a browser, you're not going to do much else than browse the Internet!

An OS is only there to interface programs with hardware; your basic OS functions should be file management, software and system administration. Movie maker, media player, games are just bells and whistles thrown in to ease your experience, but they're so limited you'd still end up installing replacements. You'd have to look around to find out which program to get, then obtain it and install it. With the linux app center, I'd say it's much easier, everything is there, point and click.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by chowmein View Post
    And yes (previous post) if it's in the repos "maybe" it's easier to install. Easier than Windows though? I think that's exaggerating a bit.
    If it's in the software center in Ubuntu, for instance, it's no more difficult than installing an app on a phone from an app store or market. In other words-- very simple.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    there is only one alternative OS that installs software in a windows like manner and that is PC-BSD, it's a BSD based distro that uses a custom pbi packaging system similar to microsoft's msi system, you double click on the installer and it's all taken care of automatically for you, only caveat is that pbi packages have to exist for the program you wish to install, if not you better know how to use make.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i cant think of a single step in installing a linux os thats worse (they do pretty much the same thing) than windows.... especially if u just go default... unless u run into a particular installer thats broken.... the problems come from installing multiple os's & complicated installs, even then with a bit of computer knowledge its not too bad
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After I read this thread I downloaded the latest edition of Linux Mint , burned the DVD ISO image (approx. 1 Gigabyte) and had it running (in live disc version ) all in less than 35 minutes . ( I have used earlier editions installed on the hard drive set to dual boot with windows) Technically it doesnt work like Windows but from the users point of view it looks similar . Installations and removals of applications are easy to do --- almost automatic-- get the user manual. Mozilla browser and the Libre Office and other commonly used tools media player , disc burner etc. are already built in to the standard installation you have a normal system straight away.
    Linux is just as good as windows for student and small business work with powerful applications for all the usual things. . It is weak on games and probably strong on scientific and programe writing applications. Windows has much more advanced video processing and editing software available. --- mike
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by mL999 View Post
    Mozilla browser and the Libre Office and other commonly used tools media player , disc burner etc. are already built in to the standard installation you have a normal system straight away.
    What about version updates?
    Quote Quote  
  19. I just checked my Ubuntu install. Blender is in the repos. Takes about 2 minutes to install with one click. Appears to be functional. I haven't really used it so I can't say if there is some particular function that might need tweaking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mL999 View Post
    Mozilla browser and the Libre Office and other commonly used tools media player , disc burner etc. are already built in to the standard installation you have a normal system straight away.
    What about version updates?

Automatic_updates:_Update_Manager

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The short answer to your question is,m all the nay-sayers are either commenting from experiences from years ago. Or used versions that did not include a software center (just pick and app and install\uninstall) or did not include a Update Manager (checks if installed apps have any updates and you select the apps you wish to update). Manually installing o updating apps is where most people run into problems. You have to check the dependencies as long as you do this even manually installs are a breeze, albeit takes a bit of learning. But after your first few times of performing manually installs you'll become an old hand at it. I only perform manually installs if an application is not in the app store., which in recent years has become a none issue.

While it is true that you will find more applications for windows OS, for the many but not all of the popular applications you can install Wine and use the applications in Linux. If you're not doing any serious video editing i would recommend Ubuntu, if has everything most users need pre-installed. If not it usually can be found in the Software Center.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Linux for non-video apps and the various version GUIs have been improved for usability. But since this a video forum, for video apps I'd say Windows is by far the better platform.
    Quote Quote  
  23. You guys are almost talking me into it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Most desktop oriented Linux are now easy to use... until you ran into problem, or the nightmarish driver problem.

Despite what Linux advocates may tell you, it's NOT easy to solve the problem (remember, they're usually see this from nerd viewpoint), often you have to read sea of threads to find some archaic solution that would not completely solve your problem.

This has not changed for years, and probably not (it's even gotten worse with each new DE). So yeah, not worth the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You guys are almost talking me into it.
    Keep Windows and try Linux as a dual boot or on an older machine. The more you learn Linux, the more you will understand Windows and OSX. A Linux dual boot is also great for trouble shooting a Windows machine.
    Quote Quote  
  26. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    You guys are almost talking me into it.
    Keep Windows and try Linux as a dual boot or on an older machine.
    The difficult part nowadays is, find a distro which is "friendly to older hardware"

Some of them might complain that you're still using a "monocore", or will have issues with not-so-outdated video cards, or they don't know what to do with a dial-up modem, etc etc etc
    Quote Quote  
  27. This makes me want to go a different route entirely. I may try giving PC-BSD a shot this weekend.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BSD is more hard core. I'd start with Ubuntu which is targeted at Windows users.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never found Linux as a good platform for video. I'd tried various Linux distros on and off for roughly 10 years, but when I got serious about and asked questions in various forums I'd inevitably get the response "RTFM." In other words, there's a lot of published information available, but not much help.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Linux will always occupy a minority in usage. The reason is simple: It requires above average IQ to use it comfortably. Therefore over half the population will not use it. Bill Gates recognized that simple fact, and made an operating system that nearly everyone can use.
    Case closed.
    Quote Quote