VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I record Black & White movies from Satellite box (via S-Video) with Canopus ADVC 110 and burn them as DVD discs. With Media Players gaining popularity, I also want to store the movies in a compressed format on an external Hard Drive and connect it to a media player to play in my HDTV.

I am a bit confused on what format is best suited for these movies. MKV or H.264?? I guess most of the media players play both the formats.

I will be keeping my DVDs as back-up. Which means, while encoding from DV-AVI, I will make one DVD Copy as well as one copy for play through the media player.

Please suggest which is the best format to compress these movies in order to play via a media player. I know many media players also play DVD VOBs but mkv/h264 occupy lesser space than DVD MPEG-2.

regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our video conversion section as this is not dvd authoring.

MKV is a container and h264 is video codec that you put in the mkv container.

I would use h264 video in a mkv or mp4 container depending what your media player supports. Like the xbox 360 and ps3 doesn't support mkv but most other GOOD media players supports mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK thanks. Then I guess I would go for H.264 in MKV container. The media player I have in mind supports MKV.
    Quote Quote