VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It's about 118GB, similar videos in the past were about 2GB.

I used Ulead software, but I have since uninstalled due to conflicts with my graphics card.

The video came from an old sony 8mm tape camera. It was a pain to setup so I would rather convert than recapture. My problem is I want to retain as much clarity as possible than just simply run it through a random down conversion.

The .avi file has 640x480 with 1536kbps stereo audio with 29fps.

Can someone please recommend some software and some settings they would use on this file to get it down to maybe a tenth of its current size?
    Last edited by grathan; 6th Mar 2012 at 09:25.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need to use some compression.. In VirtualDub:

File -> Open Video File
    Video -> Compression... select codec, configure
    Audio -> Full Processing Mode
    Audio -> Compression... select codec, configure
    File -> Save as AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Seems pretty straight foward. When I "configure" the video codec, lets say I am using Microsoft Video 1, msvidc32.dll( the only one that highlights the configure button), there are 2 options for quality. The one slider under the compression codec listing and another called Temporal Quality Ratio under the configure button. Which of these would I adjust? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use another compression like for example the xvid codec or divx codec. Install it first and it will appear in virtualdub.

Or convert to a mp4 or mkv with h264 video using handbrake or vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can also pull back some on the audio. 1536kbps is a probably just a little overboard.
    Quote Quote