VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,
    I'm a new user here and have been trying to burn a yoga video to give to my mom to help with her back problem. I'm running into problems and can't seem to find answers online so was wondering if one of you could help.

The video files are in .avi format and when I look at the properties, they all add up to about 900mb, which should fit on a dvd (4.38GB) easily. However, when I drop files into the windows folder to burn, it tells me that the files are too big and I need an additional 354mb in space.

Does anyone know why this is the case? The video files are only about 900mb in size. Also, I'm able to drop most of the files into the folder to burn except for the first file. This file alone is only about 100mb.

Appreciate it if anyone can help me out. thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you trying to create a DVD-Video disc, or an AVI video data disc?

If the former, the file sizes are irrelevant. You need to know the running times for the videos. Your DVD-creating software will probably default to creating DVD-Video discs with an average of 2-3 hours.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Are you trying to create a DVD-Video disc, or an AVI video data disc?

If the former, the file sizes are irrelevant. You need to know the running times for the videos. Your DVD-creating software will probably default to creating DVD-Video discs with an average of 2-3 hours.
    oh ok.. I don't know which method is better... I just want to burn it so my mother can play the dvd files on her dvd player. What is the difference between burning it through DVD-Video disc compared to AVI video data disc? Can both be played using a dvd player?
    Quote Quote  
  4. btw the files would have a duration of about 2 hrs 40 minutes ... what would you say is the best way to have them burned so its viewable on a dvd player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by accesskb View Post
    Can both be played using a dvd player?
    No.
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by accesskb View Post
    The video files are in .avi format and when I look at the properties, they all add up to about 900mb, which should fit on a dvd (4.38GB) easily.
    They will - as AVI. But you've said you want to create DVD video which means converting (reencoding those AVIs). You haven't said what conversion program you're using, but I can only guess it's garbage if it says it can't be done. Now, 2 hours and 40 minutes of exercise videos might not look all that good when converted to DVD for a single layer DVDR, but it can easily be done - with the right program.

Maybe try Avs2DVD, FAVC, or DVD Flick or one of the many other free or commercial conversion programs available:

https://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsearch=&Submit=Search&convert=AVI+to+DVD&s=&orderby=Name&hits=50
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    (I really should not answer forum posts a few minutes before leaving. )

Yeah, try AVS2DVD (or if you would like to try commercial software, ConvertX2DVD). Keep in mind that if you do try AVS2DVD, make sure you check the settings first, and change them to what you want - it defaults to making PAL-format DVDs, for example, so if you need NTSC format...
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. hi,
    I went ahead and tried burning the .avi files using Nero Vision. I saw a youtube tutorial which didn't mention anything about converting the .avi files etc. I just dropped the .avi files and burnt it like it said. The dvd plays on my laptop but when I put it in the dvd player and play it, all I get is a black screen... None of the menus or files show up.

Suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have probably created a data disk. Your laptop reads it since it knows the codec. The dvd player does not.

1. Do not use Nero
    2. Follow the advice already given and use the programs suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  10. hii thanks to all for the great advice.. i got myself a convertxtodvd software and was able to burn the files.

Would any know the best setting to use so as to get the best quality while making most use of available space on the dvd? My dvd has about 4.7Gb but I noticed my burnt dvd only takes up about 2.5Gb and the quality isn't the best.

thanks once again
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by accesskb View Post
    my burnt dvd only takes up about 2.5Gb and the quality isn't the best.
    Not much you can do about it, realistically. You started with video that had the hell squashed out of it already to get it down to 900 MB. ConvertXtoDVD used as much space as was needed, more won't help.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Originally Posted by accesskb View Post
    my burnt dvd only takes up about 2.5Gb and the quality isn't the best.
    Not much you can do about it, realistically. You started with video that had the hell squashed out of it already to get it down to 900 MB. ConvertXtoDVD used as much space as was needed, more won't help.

hahah ok thanks.. i'd have thought it would be possible. When i burnt using NERO the quality seems so much better and filled up more dvd space.. unfortunately it wouldn't play on my dvd player
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD size is all about bit-rate.

To fill the disk with 2hrs40 of video you are talking about a bitrate of approx 3500 kbps. Even if you can use that program to manually adjust the bit rate (other free ones can do this so you really should try others as well) you will NOT get good quality out of that.

The better option is to split the video in to shorter 1hour + lengths.Then you can increase the bit rate.

Even then it all depends on the quality of the original avi and as has been said that can not be very good for 900 mb for 160 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I took a look at the burnt dvd and the quality is actually decent enough

however, I've run into another problem... the video seems to be lagging behind the audio by a second or two.

How can one fix that when burning a dvd? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best to buy the original dvd,avi movies you download are notorious for problems such as audio lagging and other errors after re-encoding.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    160 minutes >> 2.5 gig >> 'decent enough' quality !!!. Watch this on a 'decent' size tv and then think again.

And no, youi can not fix audio lag when burning. In fact I doubt if you could fix it given the paramaters of the original avi
    Quote Quote  
  17. I realized that out of the 5 video files burnt, only one is out of sync. I opened the original file on my computer and it seems like the lag wasn't caused by the burning process. The original file has a lag in its video and sound.

What software could I use to fix this, realign the video and sound?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Not much you can do about it, realistically. You started with video that had the hell squashed out of it already to get it down to 900 MB. ConvertXtoDVD used as much space as was needed, more won't help.
    I don’t think so although the file is squashed avi is probably xvid/dvix file which has lower video bit rate requirement for same quality than dvd Mpeg 2 file. Although the quality is lost by first conversation from DVD or BD maybe to dvix it should be put on higher bit rate dvd so it doesn’t degrade more and that is presented in disc space. I don’t know why is convertx to dvd doing that ( maybe you could try to put dvd9 fit instead of dvd5 fit and strangely will make the dvd size around 4,3 gb try it ). Or you could try other ( free) one size fits all programs or do it your self with bit rate that is going around 3k that will fit 4-4,3 gb with some more serious programs like HC encoder (free).
    Concerning the rips from web to original wars that’s going on for ages and a lot of bullshit is spread, try some great BD rips 4-8gb x264 and put it on dvd and tell me if the quality is worse than original dvd rental ( I don’t think so even more so the rip looks way better )
    Quote Quote