VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I am stuck with a problem. I am new to video converting and don't know exactly, where is the problem.

First, I recorded movie (DVB-T) with DVBViewer as TS file.
    Then I wanted to play it in Blu-ray player, so I decided to convert the file to MKV (which the player supports).
    I used avidemux64 to do the job. I set MPEG-4 AVC as video codec and AAC as audio codec and changed the delay (because for some reason, the audio is out of sync after encoding, but I figured out that changing the delay, that I found in KMPlayer Info, make sync right).
    I tried default setting, 2pass, me=umh, also changed IDC level.
    When I opened mkv file in KMPlayer (or played it on Blu-ray player), the video is shaky in some scenes.
    I also tried to convert it to Xvid/AVI but that didn't change anything. The video is also shaky in a preview in avidemux.

I uploaded both MKV and TS preview files to see it by yourself.

When I tried to play MKV file on Blu-ray player, I found another problem. I couldn't seek. Fast Forward was disabled.
    (Avi file didn't have this problem). You say, this is probably OK for this kind of players, but the thing is, MKVs I created an year ago, this option have. I don't know what may cause this. I didn't change settings much, only 2pass and IDC level I think.

Thank you for advice.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try instead vidcoder or handbrake. It seems to work better here.

And have you tried play the ts directly with your blu-ray player? It might support it. Or you can also try just "remux" the ts to a mkv with mkvtoolnix, no video reconversion. You just add ts and output a new mkv. But you can't shrink it then.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your attached file has good video but the audio is jerky. I have tried hadbrake with the same result file as you.

My Blu-ray player doesn't support TS and of course I want smaller size of video because 2,5 GB per movie is too much and I dont have big space on HDD.
    Last edited by Scorpick; 5th Mar 2012 at 10:04.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I convert .ts captured from DVB quite a lot. Your sample .ts plays fine for me, but I get the same jerky result as you do with your sample .mkv. I translated your .ts to a .mkv using the same process I normally use & I get the same jerky result, so I'm thinking maybe it's an issue created by the .ts file.

Is it worth changing the recording software to something else, like TV Scheduler Pro, and looking for improvements ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Video using AviSynth and x264 (CLI) plus MP2 audio from the original file.

Code:
    ffVideoSource("preview.ts") 
    BicubicResize(624,352)
    Code:
    x264.exe --preset=slow --crf=18 --sar=1:1 --output preview.mkv preview.avs
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Video using AviSynth and x264 (CLI) plus MP2 audio from the original file.

Code:
    BicubicResize(624,352)
    Code:
    x264.exe --preset=slow --crf=18 --sar=1:1 --output preview.mkv preview.avs

shouldn't you deinterlace before resizing? either that or encode interlaced?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I didn't even look at the source! Didn't notice it was interlaced.

Code:
    Yadif(mode=1, order=1)
    BicubicResize(624,352)
    I should pay more attention. I was working on something else when I banged this out.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 5th Mar 2012 at 16:49.
    Quote Quote  
  8. When I tried to play MKV file on Blu-ray player, I found another problem. I couldn't seek. Fast Forward was disabled.
    Besides the decoding errors, the seek problem is likely because of VFR

Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Even minimally VFR, can cause problems with many hardware players. Some avidemux builds do this, not sure why. Handbrake does this too, unless you enter the value specifically. Baldrick's example is VFR as well.

You should force CFR for blu-ray players (--force-cfr). But if you use avisynth as per jagabo's suggestion, it will automatically be CFR

If it seeks, but poorly (ie. takes a long time) use a shorter --keyint (default is 250, but usually 1 or 2 seconds is better for seeking, so for 25fps use 50, for 50fps if you plan on bob-deinterlacing you can use 100)

Some GUI's use avisynth in the backend, so something like ripbot264, megui, xvid4psp, you should be ok
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I didn't even look at the source! Didn't notice it was interlaced. Add TFM():

Code:
    AssumeTFF()
    TFM()
    BicubicResize(624,352)

There's not a lot of movement in the sample , but this looks to be true interlace (e.g. mouth & hands movement in individual fields) , so wouldnt something like yadif or qtgmc be better ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    There's not a lot of movement in the sample , but this looks to be true interlace (e.g. mouth & hands movement in individual fields) , so wouldnt something like yadif or qtgmc be better ?
    Yes, I fixed it before seeing your reply.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Yes, I fixed it before seeing your reply.

heh my ninja typing skills rock
    Quote Quote  
  12. The reason for may first post, although I didn't state it explicitly, was that most free GUI front ends use ffmpeg, x264, and avisynth. So they should be able to handle the source, one way or another. And to point out it's not very hard to use those tools directly once you are set up.

I should also point out that ffVideoSource() will lose A/V sync if the source is really variable frame rate.
    Quote Quote