VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I want to be able to select a portion of a video and extract it to a new file (direct stream, no converting needed). So for example... in a video that is 00:30:00:000 in length, I want to take from 00:00:09:000 - 00:05:09:000 and extract it to its own 5 min clip. I want to know how I can do this and have the result be ACCURATE to at least the second if not millisecond???

Currently I just have the Boilsoft video splitter, and have also used Ultra video splitter in the past. I can just enter a number to split into that many equal length/size parts Or I can use the built in video player/preview and click on the start/end brackets to make a selection, or I can manually type in the timecode. But the end result is the same INaccuracy. For some reason the start point is MUCH LESS accurate than the end point. The start point will be off by 5 seconds AT LEAST. the end point can be some what better but still not acceptable.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why this is? I Know in things like AutoCAD, the accuracy of selecting/manipulating objects can be affected by hardware like your video card. I'm wondering if Something similar is happening in this case? or is it purely software?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can only cut without reconverting at so called keyframes. Some editors can do so called smart rendering, they cut exactly and reconverts just around the cut.

Read https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/340774-Editing-program-for-AVI-MKV-video?p=2121327&...=1#post2121327 for a full explanation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried SolveigMM Splitter?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both for the replies, very informative. I think I'll try out that SolveigMM Splitter. Also what are some other options for these so called "smart editors"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KushSmoka420 View Post
    ...what are some other options for these so called "smart editors"?
    There's a whole bunch of them. Look in the Tools/Software section.

Some free, some not. I prefer the free ones, but I don't mind paying for something rock solid, robust, and easy to use.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KushSmoka420 View Post
    Also what are some other options for these so called "smart editors"?
    Try Womble's MPEG Video Wizard Dvd or MPEG2VCR. Both are trialware.
    Quote Quote