VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. is there another program like ConvertXtoDvd which can convert avi, mpeg, etc to movies to be played in a home dvd player like VOB files etc which also makes menus like ConvertXtoDvd plus dont take ages. same as the above

many thanks all
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc mastering works, DVD flick, the filmmachine. I cant remember if last 2 had menus, but tmpgenc does. Althought its not really faster than convertxtodvd.. actually it's slower if you "tweak" your project a lot, which vso has made very simple in convertx's settings. To be honest, I'd stick to convertxtodvd, it's easiest and fastest.

Ps. Normal dvd5 project takes with my intel i7 3.4Ghz around 30-50min. You can affect this time a lot from settings, but 1 hours = 1 dvd isnt really bad if you have 2pass option enabled etc. Just remember to ALWAYS use "short project" no matter what, or engine in convertxtodvd tries its own methods if you let it decide or choose something else... then project comes out very undersized.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FAVC

it's old but it works
    Quote Quote  
  4. kukkamies
    Re: convertxtodvd alternative program

TMPGEnc mastering works, DVD flick, the filmmachine. I cant remember if last 2 had menus, but tmpgenc does. Althought its not really faster than convertxtodvd.. actually it's slower if you "tweak" your project a lot, which vso has made very simple in convertx's settings. To be honest, I'd stick to convertxtodvd, it's easiest and fastest.

Ps. Normal dvd5 project takes with my intel i7 3.4Ghz around 30-50min. You can affect this time a lot from settings, but 1 hours = 1 dvd isnt really bad if you have 2pass option enabled etc. Just remember to ALWAYS use "short project" no matter what, or engine in convertxtodvd tries its own methods if you let it decide or choose something else... then project comes out very undersized
    Would you know where to get extra menus for convertXtoDVD as same old boring menus

Moontrash

FAVC

it's old but it works
    thanks will give that a try too

EDIT: just tried FAVC but it said about not having the latest Avisynth where do i get that
    Last edited by natty; 2nd Mar 2012 at 10:50.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by natty View Post
    EDIT: just tried FAVC but it said about not having the latest Avisynth where do i get that
    Ummmmm.......

The TOOLS section!!!!
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Noahtuck

Originally Posted by natty
    Ummmmm.......

The TOOLS section!!!!
    LOL!!
    Well I must have installed a wrong Avisynth version then as didnt see the tools section, but it seems now to be working FAVC

btw can you have extra menus with this FAVC
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You want faster, but compared to what? kukkamies' 1 hour for a DVD in 2 pass mode is pretty good, but that's an i7.

There's no magic software for encoding. There is some difference in encoding times but it's not really that noticeable. Generally the slower ones are the better ones (or they should be) because they're doing more.

Also, you want 2 pass encoding for conversion to dvd. You can't get consistent decent quality with minimal sync problems wthout it. And I notice that convertxtodvd has it. It takes twice as long but them's the breaks.

In fact, I don't really see a compelling reason to switch from convertxtodvd, especially since from what I can see in the company site it doesn't appear to install 3rd party codecs packs/filters/splitters. Which I won't use.

I used to recommend avstodvd but I yanked it from my hdd. It installs a bunch of that crap, and then much better programs like vlc don't render video as well as they should. I tend to stick to software that is a Linux port nowadays. You'd never get away with that hacker nonsense about dicking with the registry like that with linux/unix.

Bottom line for faster encoding? Buy a much faster computer. sometimes people don't want to hear that but it's true.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Bottom line for faster encoding? Buy a much faster computer. sometimes people don't want to hear that but it's true.
    I find around here that the bitching about how long something takes usually means the idiot who is complaining is one of those "I CANNOT use my PC at all while I am not watching it. No letting it run while I sleep or am away from home." kind of people. I have no sympathy for such people. As I say all the time, why do you care how long it takes if it works while you are asleep?
    Quote Quote  
  9. well the last 2 posts have answered this ?
    btw can you have extra menus with this FAVC
    I dont think.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i dont believe so...from what i used it for it just gave the title menu and that was it...at least that was all that i used it for
    Quote Quote