VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,

(This is my first post and I tried to find similar this problem without much luck. Sorry if I am posting in the wrong spot.)

Where I work there are several installs that include the following:
    Samsung flat screen TV (various models/sizes)
    Bose Lifetyle 38
    Panasonic DMP-BD60
    PAL-SECAM to NTSC converter (all the DVDs are from Europe and for that region)

Most of the setups use the converter while a couple have the player connected directly to the Bose (under DVD using HDMI).

What I am not sure about is whether I need the converter and why we cannot get picture/sound consistently using HDMI . Several of the setups had audio but no video using just HDMI. To make sure we get picture and sound, we are using analog cables between the player and the converter and then HDMI from the converter to the Bose and on to the TV.

In one case I tried to setup everything exactly the same (same hardware and cables) and without using the converter. One setup had video/sound, the other did not have video or sound. (In this case I was using two different Samsung model LA26B350F1 televisions).

Does anyone know why we would not get video/sound consistently using HDMI?
    Do we need the converter?

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My suggestion is that some hdtvs will work with either PAL or NSTC and some won't.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    My suggestion is that some hdtvs will work with either PAL or NSTC and some won't.
    What is strange about this is that the same model TV (with the same model player and Bose) is getting different results.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Start by eliminating one major complicating factor, the PAL dvds and their associated converter. Test with standard, NTSC dvd that will work without the converter. Once you find a disk that works, use that same disk for all testing. If you use different disks, then you must make certain they are identical in all ways that might affect the problem.

Since we do not yet know what exactly is causing the problem, that goes back to using the same disk for all testing. Verify the hardware setup first, THEN test different disks. Examining the difference should reveal the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    With this player you can play bluray from other regions on US hdtv without the converter. In the old days, PAL video was a different resolution than NTSC but with bluray it doesn't matter. Resolution is the same. No converter needed.

Test the bluray first with HDMI to confirm this works. Then test an NTSC dvd without the converter using HDMI. Then test some PAL dvd with the converter to see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I assume your playing BlueRay disks. Your player will only play if region 1 or free. That assumes the disks are 23.976 frame rate. Some BR disks,out of region 1, still use a 25FPS rate and will not play on your player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    wulf109 - FYI DMP-BD60 is a region free player and supports several frame rates.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for the info. I did try with both Blu-Ray and regular DVDs. I tried using identical configurations and videos but I was unable to narrow the problem down.
    Quote Quote