VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I want to burn 1920x1080 mpg files to dvd.
    The hd mpg file looks great on my computer, but it looses a lot when burned to dvd.
    Is there another format i can save in to burn to dl dvd and not loose quality,but still be able to play on a standard dvd player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your only option may be to create a DVD-Video disc, and that will force the video to be converted and resized to SD resolutions (720x576 PAL, 720x480 NTSC, maximum.)

Even if your DVD player can play MPEG videos as it would AVIs, from a data disc, the DVD player would likely still not be able to view videos higher than the resolutions above - in other words, no HD video.
    Last edited by Ai Haibara; 1st Mar 2012 at 00:10.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes if you buy a blu-ray player. no for your standard dvd player. you'll also need a hd 1080 tv.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you both.
    THE BEST RESULTS I HAVE GOTTEN SO FAR IS BY OPENING THE CAPTURED 1920X1088 MPG IN WINDOWS LIVE MOVIE MAKER AND SAVING IT AS A WMV USING THE BURN TO DVD OPTION AND BURNING IT TO A DL DVD AS 720X480.
    RESULTS ARE ACCEPTABLE BUT NOT TRUE HD AND NOT THE BEST.

ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO IMPROVE THE RESULTS?
    Last edited by ABUELLO; 1st Mar 2012 at 12:43.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best to buy a blu-ray player that plays avchd and use a program like multiavchd to author to avchd and burn it to d/l dvd.No lose of quality that way since the file won't be re-encoded.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you john. Can't you play avchd on d/l dvd on a standard dvd player?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope,you need a blu-ray player capable of playing dvd-avchd,regular dvd players are limited to 720x480/576 and only read dvd video and maybe divx/xvid files of 720x480/576 or lower.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    No lose of quality that way since the file won't be re-encoded.
    I think it would have to be re-encoded since the question said MPG, as in MPEG-2. AVCHD is only for H.264.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    No lose of quality that way since the file won't be re-encoded.
    I think it would have to be re-encoded since the question said MPG, as in MPEG-2. AVCHD is only for H.264.
    Sorry to say that is not the case. An "AVCHD disc" (using BDR or DVDR media) can be h.264, MPeg2 or VC-1 under Blu-ray rules. The result will not play on a DVD player using any of the formats. It will play on most Blu-ray players* and compatible PC/Mac players.

* Blu-ray player must be "AVCHD disc" compatible.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ABUELLO View Post
    I want to burn 1920x1080 mpg files to dvd.
    The hd mpg file looks great on my computer, but it looses a lot when burned to dvd.
    Is there another format i can save in to burn to dl dvd and not loose quality,but still be able to play on a standard dvd player?
    The "1920x1080 mpg" file must be Blu-ray compatible to match "AVCHD disc" standards with one exception.

Bitrate must fit the media spec for the player. "AVCHD disc" minimal spec is 18 Mbps which translates to ~2x DVDR playback speed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Technically, AVCHD uses AVC compression only according to the specs , but a file using typical MPEG2 MP@HL profile compression on DVD5/9 should play in most blu-ray players if it adheres to the bitrate limitations
    Quote Quote  
  12. Forget the Blu-ray player and get a media player like the Western Digital WDTV. Then you can play your HD files from a USB hard drive, USB thumb drive, or network share, without converting them.

http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Technically, AVCHD uses AVC compression only according to the specs , but a file using typical MPEG2 MP@HL profile compression on DVD5/9 should play in most blu-ray players if it adheres to the bitrate limitations
    An "AVCHD disc" accepts all Blu-ray codec standards. Bit rate is the limit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Forget the Blu-ray player and get a media player like the Western Digital WDTV. Then you can play your HD files from a USB hard drive, USB thumb drive, or network share, without converting them.

http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php
    Yes but those don't play rental discs and up the geek.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Technically, AVCHD uses AVC compression only according to the specs , but a file using typical MPEG2 MP@HL profile compression on DVD5/9 should play in most blu-ray players if it adheres to the bitrate limitations
    An "AVCHD disc" accepts all Blu-ray codec standards. Bit rate is the limit.

You're using the "AVCHD disc" term loosely, but it refers specifically to DVD5 or DVD9 media using AVCHD (h.264) compression . The "AVC" in AVCHD refers to Advanced Video Codec, or MPEG4 part 10, not MPEG2 or VC-1.

What you are referring to is the unoffical "BD5 or BD9 disc" , which can use h.264, VC-1, or MPEG2 compression, much like official blu-ray (BD25 or BD50)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    An "AVCHD disc" accepts all Blu-ray codec standards.
    They're pretty clear on the subject: http://www.avchd-info.org/format/index.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    An "AVCHD disc" accepts all Blu-ray codec standards.
    They're pretty clear on the subject: http://www.avchd-info.org/format/index.html
    That site defines the AVCHD camcorder format. The marketing term "AVCHD disc" seems to be defined by the marketing wing of the Blu-ray disc consortium who control Blu-ray player standards.

Regardless, Blu-ray players with "AVCHD disc" branding all seem to play MPeg2 and VC1 equally well*.

Anyone know if Blu-ray has been standardized by ITU or SMPTE? If so, do they mention AVCHD disc?

* but many won't play AVCHD camcorder files over 18 Mbps from DVDR media. Some will play "Full HD" 24 Mbps but most won't play Panasonic 1080p60 28 Mbps files.
    Last edited by edDV; 3rd Mar 2012 at 02:11.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    That site defines the AVCHD camcorder format. The marketing term "AVCHD disc" seems to be defined by the marketing wing of the Blu-ray disc consortium who control Blu-ray player standards.
    http://www.avchd-info.org/press/20060713.html
    The two companies have also developed licensing programs for playback appliances and PC software in addition to the one for video cameras, so that environment for playing back AVCHD content will be expanded. This will allow users to enjoy shooting high definition footages with their camcorders and playing them back or editing them on a wide range of products.

Licensed Product Category for the “AVCHD” format and logo extend to the following
    1. AVCHD format and logo license for Video Cameras
    2. AVCHD format and logo license for Players
    3. AVCHD format license for PC Software
    As well, the Players section of their License page.

But on-topic:
    Does anyone have an opinion on whether your "average" Blu-ray player is more likely to be able to play MPEG-2 authored as BD5 as opposed to just burning as a data disc?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    RE: AVCHD disc

The known:

The AVCHD camcorder format includes provision to write an AVCHD BDMV folder to DVD media (e..g. 3" DVDR discs) but makes no claims for compatibility with Blu-ray players. The AVCHD camcorder video codec is limited to h.264.

The Blu-ray disc association specifies all players be compatible with MPeg2, h.264 and VC-1 video codecs. All Blu-ray players are required to play DVD and DVDR media at 1x speed.

There was a proposal by Warner Home Video for BD5 and BD9 pressed to red laser DVD media. This proposal did not make it into the final Blu-ray standard.

Formal documentation lacking for the AVCHD disc.

Name:  AVCHD_disc.PNG
Views: 20571
Size:  7.2 KBSony AVCHD disc logo

The "AVCHD disc" is an extended feature for certain Blu-ray players and is loosely defined by Sony and Panasonic as BD media (BDMV) recorded to red laser DVDR discs. So far I've found these restrictions stated but not well documented.

The BDMV folder file names will use all caps and 8.3 file name conventions. For example *.m2ts becomes MTS.

The max bit rate is listed in various places as 17 or 18 Mbps. This corresponds to ~2x DVDR playback speed. Some players will manage 24 Mbps (~3x playback speed).

Audio is limited to AC3, PCM and mp2 however some players work with other audio formats.

Although not stated, MPeg2 and VC-1 seem to play on most players when wrapped with MTS (m2ts). 30fps AVCHD Lite (frame doubled to 60p) is not supported by most players.

There is an AVCHD Version 2.0 proposal for camcorders that extends the AVCHD camcorder format to include 3D-MVC, 1920x1080 50p/60p @ 28 Mbps and AVC Lite 1280x720 25p/30p (frame doubled to 50p/60p). There is no corresponding Blu-Ray player spec.
    http://www.avchd-info.org/format/index.html

Then there is this rumor that Sony will be updating certain Blu-Ray players to support AVCHD 2.0 with a firmware update in coming months.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1009&message=38920783&changemode=1
    Last edited by edDV; 3rd Mar 2012 at 18:59.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys, i am currently using Pinnacle studio 15, im having some problems getting my videos to look hd
    after burning them while they are in mts format.Do i need a blu-ray dvd writer to burn hd, is there an
    hd blank dvd to support this or do i need a capture card to capture from the camera directly.I am currently editing them in raw mts & then burn my project onto a standard 4.7gb disc using 1980x1080 50i, 25fps. which i download straight from the sd card
    The video does'not look hd on flat screen tv & the quality the far poor as the original
    files.please can anyone help.

Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by enzopillay View Post
    I am currently editing them in raw mts & then burn my project onto a standard 4.7gb disc using 1980x1080 50i, 25fps. which i download straight from the sd card
    The video does'not look hd on flat screen tv & the quality the far poor as the original
    files.
    How are you exporting from pinnacle (is there for example a "make DVD" button?) and how are you playing them on the tv? I suspect there's an inadvertent downconvert in your process somewhere.
    Last edited by smrpix; 1st Apr 2013 at 14:14.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply,

i am burning straight after editing on to a standard 4.7GB dvd using settings (1980x1080 50i, 25fps).
    I have watch the footage in standard dvd player & a sony blu ray player.am i suppose to export to a avchd
    burner?
    Yes, there is maker movie option on the program, which i use.
    Last edited by enzopillay; 1st Apr 2013 at 14:22.
    Quote Quote  
  23. You're kind of glossing over the information I'm trying to get to. If it's playing on a regular DVD player as a regular DVD then you have downconverted on output. If it looks the same from the DVD player and the Blu Ray player this is almost certainly the case.

Pinnacle should allow you to do a Blu Ray output to a standard DVD -- in which case it will play on the Blu Ray player and not on the DVD player. Try that.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok.please explain how do i take my mts video files which is edited in Pinnacle studio and turn them into a full hd video, which
    will play perfect on the a full hd tv.
    Quote Quote  
  25. You want to output your movie to a DVD disk in AVCHD format. See page 342 of your manual for more detail. This will not play on any DVD player, only the Blu Ray.

http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFiles/Studio_15/manuals/studio_us.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks.

is there another format that i can use to burn the project on, and get it to play like hd while playing it
    on a standard dvd player.
    Quote Quote  
  27. No. Re-read post 25.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by enzopillay View Post
    ok thanks.

is there another format that i can use to burn the project on, and get it to play like hd while playing it
    on a standard dvd player.

No. If you can play back HD Divx on your DVD player maybe -- but not on a standard DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    will a hd disc help & does a standard dvd except it.
    Quote Quote  
  30. No again, DVD players and disks are limited to standard def. Media Players like WDTV, Blu Ray Players and some game consoles give you more options.
    Quote Quote