VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Help! I need to make my Blu-Ray Toshiba BDX1250KE regionfree, it doesn't necessarily have to be the Blu-ray that's region free, but I need the Dvd version on it to be regionfree since I have over 50 movies from the US when I lived there.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    probably not.

it is easier to just run the dvds through decrypter and make region free copies of them.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check for Australian firmware. I am aware that Toshiba issued firmware for the BDX1200KY and the BDX3100KY, which made those models region free. If there is Aussie firmware for the 1250, you may be able to install it.

Or, as aedipuss suggested, decrypt the disks and make region free disks. Even better, decrypt them all to a portable USB hard drive, and use a media player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I cannot recommend that you follow Chopmeister's suggestion unless you are willing to accept the risks. Installing firmware outside of your region can brick your player. We've also had reports of cases where it didn't brick the player, but it changed the DVD region (in this case your player would become region 4) AND the player still couldn't be made region free. Then again it could solve your problem, but you must accept the possibility of disaster before you try this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I should add that DVD players are easier to make region free than BluRay players but even the number of DVD players that can be made region free is shrinking due to pressure from Hollywood. Despite their official denials, Philips still makes some DVD players that can easily be made region free and can convert between PAL<->NTSC video if your TV needs that.
    Quote Quote