VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have bought Voltron Lion Force DVD version 2010 from ebay and copy the dvd to computer using AnyDVD. Is it possible to convert VOB files to AVI without losing quality...?!

Best Regards,
    SB4
    Last edited by SB4; 28th Feb 2012 at 15:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SB4 View Post
    without losing quality...?!
    No
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can, but why?

One way is to copy into AVI container e.g. using ffmbc . Many devices will not support it but software players should (mpeg2 in AVI)

Another way is to use a lossless AVI format e.g. huffyuv, ut video codec, ffv1, lagarith - but the filesize will be 10x as large, also no devices will support it (software playback only)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't mind MKVs, you can use MakeMKV to repackage the ripped DVDs into MKVs. Of course, software players should generally allow you to view VIDEO_TS folders or ISOs as though they were the actual DVD, too.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You can, but why?

I want to put the avi file into ScreenPlay Director HD Media Player to play it on TV So I need to convert it to avi with the same quality and put it on VirtualDub to resize and change color a little than copmress the video Xvid and audio MP3 with small file size if it possible...
    Quote Quote  
  6. If it's an episodic DVD then the MakeMKV solution may be the simplest. Also there's Quick AVI Creator. Not the fastest around and hasn't been updated in a bit.. but you can manually update the ffmpeg exe and dll using the latest XVid codec release. The advantage is it keeps the same resolution by default. But it creates an .avs script. You can do any AviSynth modifications. It does have its quirks. It tends to suggest bit rates that are too low. A little trial and error gives you an idea what rates to use. Also I found it gives good results using xvid_encraw in one pass mode. It generates .presets files on the fly. But if you get to the point of pressing Encode the Video from the AVS editor, it will generate the file. Then you can abort and overwrite it with this one:

Code:
    [Exact File Size]
    xvid_encraw.exe -i "$video_input" -pass1 "xvid.stats" -bitrate $video_bitrate -progress 10
    xvid_encraw.exe -i "$video_input" -pass2 "xvid.stats" -bitrate $video_bitrate -progress 10 -avi "$video_output"

[One Pass Mode]
    xvid_encraw.exe -i "$video_input" -pass1 "xvid.stats" -bitrate $video_bitrate -avi "$video_output"
    Unless of course you want to use 2 pass.

edit: a typical install of Quick Avi Creator, after running once as I noted above, the xvid.presets file should be found here:
    C:\Program Files\Quick AVI Creator\Tools\AvsP\tools\xvid.presets

I make a copy of my variation since it can be overwritten by the python script used by QAC at any time. Once you abort the run, copy over the .presets file, then hit Encode the Video again, the One Pass Mode will be in the drop down list for xvid conversions. Another quirk of the app is you den't get any definitive feedback when the video conversion will be done. I eliminate the Buffer command line switch otherwise it won't tell you anything useful until the whole video is converted. By not buffering it updates every frame. If you made a note of how many frames are in the video then you can do the math for % done. Or just leave it until it shows the smiley face.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 28th Feb 2012 at 18:48.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by SB4 View Post

I want to put the avi file into ScreenPlay Director HD Media Player to play it on TV So I need to convert it to avi with the same quality and put it on VirtualDub to resize and change color a little than copmress the video Xvid and audio MP3 with small file size if it possible...

Not possible with xvid or mp3 (both are lossy)

You will incur at least some quality loss
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The product specs list a decent range of formats. You could convert to h264 in an mp4 container, which will cut the bitrate requirement in half and the quality will be very close to the original.

HandBrake will convert your discs to h264/mp4. Just make sure it doesn't resize the video (but cropping to remove any black bars is OK). Under the video tab make sure the video codec is (H.264/x264), 'Constant Quality' and set the RF: to somewhere around 16-18.

I've just done a test with RF: 16. and HandBrake produces a file with video at ~2.5Mbit/sec, which to my eyes looks very close to the original.

You will want to take a look at the other settings, particularly audio and subtitles to make sure they get converted as you want.
    Quote Quote