VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

My DVB-S2 records video files in TS format (there's another option, but I don't rememeber what it is).

I uploaded a 1 minute recording in normal and HD formats to the following links:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?7iyita2yntx7l6o
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ugtscwkka40rfa5

I would like to be able to convert recorded videos to MKV or AVI/MPG files.

It is possible? If yes, how?

Thank you in advance for your attention.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you play those files in any player like VLC?

The first clip is just garbage in vlc and avidemux. Downloading the other now...mediafire is sloooooow.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Can you play those files in any player like VLC?
    No. I tried to change the file extension, but couldn't play it with anything

The first clip is just garbage in vlc and avidemux. Downloading the other now...mediafire is sloooooow.
    It's significantly larger, as it's HD
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The dvb recorder probably uses some special/encrypted video format....so you can't do much.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    The dvb recorder probably uses some special/encrypted video format....so you can't do much.
    I'll try in the other format, but if it is indeed the case (somehow, I find it strange to believe that they would bother) and upload a demo file too

Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  6. Would be good if you wrote what tuner you have... Anyway, you need this tool from Ferguson (TS Tool): http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/func-showdown/680/
    It converts dvr (info.dvr file needs to be in the same folder) into standard transport stream (*.ts) container.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by noemi7 View Post
    Would be good if you wrote what tuner you have...
    It's called S-CLASS HD8899. Terrible thing. Very unstable (forget about proper support, too!!!) and really not recommended, but for now, it's all I have.

Anyway, you need this tool from Ferguson (TS Tool): http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/func-showdown/680/
    It converts dvr (info.dvr file needs to be in the same folder) into standard transport stream (*.ts) container.
    I managed to convert the file to ts with that app. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!

That's exactly what I needed.

Now, how can I convert the ts file to mkv?

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nice.

If you want to shrink the ts to a smaller mkv could you try latest handbrake. Just released.
    Quote Quote  
  9. To convert .ts to mkv, you can also use GDSMux which is installed with Haali Matroska Splitter: right click and from a pop up menu choose add source. After then write name of the output file.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    If you want to shrink the ts to a smaller mkv could you try latest handbrake. Just released.
    With handbrake, 1m20s clip (the 2nd one above) took more than 13 minutes to convert, but the size dropped from more than 100M to 75M.

Originally Posted by noemi7 View Post
    To convert .ts to mkv, you can also use GDSMux which is installed with Haali Matroska Splitter
    It took me only around 7 secs to convert using GDmux, but the size remained practically the same: 98M. Still, spending 10 times the duration of the clip with handbrake is not practical.

Thanks everyone for your support. I got everything I needed from your different answers
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. Reconverting(so you can SHRINK it ) HD takes some time.

You could also use mkvtoolnix / mkvmergegui and add the ts and make a new mkv. No reconversion. Mkvmergegui and gdsmux are just "remultiplexing" to mkv so it should always be fast.
    Quote Quote